Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 2015 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover

I found a copy of the issue in another store recently, and I took a second look at her photoshoot, and this time, I thought she looked better. Initially, the thought of her in a swimsuit was kind of ugly, and when I took my first look at it, I looked at it too quickly. When I took my second look at it, I looked at it for a longer period of time, and this time, I thoguht she looked better. I still think they should have featured another athlete alongside her instead of Caroline Wozniacki, because MMA and tennis doesn't sound like a good combination, but I've seen worse; Miley Cyrus post-Hannah Montana and in her "Wrecking Ball" music video I think is worse than Ronda Rousey. Anyway, the thing about Ronda Rousey is this: usually, every time I see her, she's usually glaring, and she has a very scary glare that says that she's not to be messed with, although when I took a look at her Wikipedia page, the picture at the top of the page depicted her smiling. All MMA fighters in real life, as opposed to fictional fantasy fighting video game characters such as those in Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive, tend to have scary looking faces, and when they glare, they look really scary. In video games, some characters may also have scary faces, but not all of them.

My opinion of the UFC, as well as boxing and other combat sports in general, is this: there is always going to be a certain level of violence in combat sports, but it should not have to be too much, and that's the problem; it's too much violence, so much so that I think it becomes uncivilized at times. In my family, we like boxing, and we are pumped for the Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather boxing match (let's hope it doesn't last just 14 seconds, like the Ronda Rousey vs Cat Zingano fight), but I still think they should tone the violence down. Place less emphasis on violence and more emphasis on strategy, technique, and skill. Though I'm curious as to why the WBO, WBC, WBA, and IBF don't show women's boxing matches on TV, considering that the UFC and other MMA fighting organizations show women's matches on TV; each of the four aforementioned boxing organizations have women's boxing events, but they don't seem to show it on television; you have to go online to see it. The UFC isn't the only MMA organization out there; two others I know about are Bellator and the World Series of Fighting. The UFC is broadcast on Fox Sports 1, except for certain main events, which are pay-per-view, Bellator is broadcast on Spike, and the World Series of Fighting is broadcast on NBCSN.

Another thing I don't like about combat sports is that they tend to trash talk each other. For instance, I watched an interview of Ronda Rousey on ESPN's SportsCenter, and I remember a quote that went something like "The way I fight, I fight as if my opponent never wants to see me again." I also saw an article on Yahoo, stating that she called out boxer Laila Ali, the daughter of boxing legend Muhammad Ali, and said "I'll destroy you!" Trash talking seems to be common in both the UFC and in boxing, although Manny Pacquiao has not talked any trash so far leading up to his match with Floyd Mayweather.

Yet another problem I have with combat sports is that they promote a negative image of masculinity. "Manliness" is often associated with gratuitious violence and trash talking. Prior to joining Fox Sports, the UFC used to be on Spike, which was aimed at men who were into "manly" things, such as overly gratuitous violence and trash talk. I once took a gender studies course in college, and I discussed MMA with my professor, and she agreed that the sport promotes this nasty image of "manliness." My father is one of those "machismo manly" men, who also happens to be a fan of the UFC, and because he is a "macho manly" man, that is why I am not as close with him as I would have liked to be.

One common interest I share with my father is our interest in soccer, and what I don't like is that the majority of the soccer is on Fox Sports. The UEFA Champions League, the CONCACAF Champions League, the CONCACAF Gold Cup, and starting in 2018, the FIFA World Cup, which they stole away from ESPN, are all on Fox Sports, the same company who broadcasts the UFC. They share MLS with ESPN, but the rest are all exclusive to Fox Sports. The Barclays Premier League is on NBCSN, who also broadcasts the World Series of Fighting. ESPN has MLS, the UEFA European Championship of Nations, and some international friendlies, usually involving the U.S. national team.

Going back to Ronda Rousey, the odds of me meeting her in person are virtually nil. I will probably never, ever, meet her. Now, I wouldn't say what I posted here to her face, because she'd probably hit me in the face. Of course, she doesn't read this forum, so it doesn't matter anyway, but still. However, in the unlikely event that I do meet her, I will tell her that I'm scared of her, and that I don't like MMA because it's too violent, and also probably ask her why she trash talks opponents. I probably shouldn't have posted what I posted earlier, but since it's too late to edit it out, I came up with this post. I'll also take back the "ugly" part, but I'll keep the "creepy and scary" parts intact. I would also ask her this: why are martial arts called arts? Is it an art form to beat someone up?

Also, last night, on ESPN's SportsCenter, I watched a comedy segment called "14 Seconds with Ronda Rousey," making reference to how she defeated Cat Zingano in just 14 seconds. It game me a glimpse of her fun side, something that I didn't think she would have; she participated in a marshmallow eating contest, took part in a pickle jar opening contest, gave an ESPN employee a haircut, and made funny faces. It was pretty funny; I laughed.

All of that said, I want to see fictional clones of Ronda Rousey in Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 04-18-2015 at 08:37 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

You don't like how she trash talks her opponents but you just wrote out a long winded post trash talking her? Goodness, Supermillionaire. It's not surprising she does normal things because she is a normal person and not a scary one. Goodness.

I didn't trash talk her; I just criticized her. I respect her skills, but I don't like MMA because it's too violent. And very few times have I ever seen any MMA fighter complement another's fighting skills. And while I will take "ugly" back, I will still say that she is creepy and scary.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 03-28-2015 at 05:51 PM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I see them do that all the time. I don't think you're looking hard enough.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

All martial arts look like crap when they're not choreographed. Fighting is pointless anyway. There are better ways to compete against other people than trying to make each others face look like a pulped baked potato.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Like running after a ball of leather. Woo. Super fun.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Like running after a ball of leather. Woo. Super fun.
    Football sucks. Bake off on the otherhand. It's creative, it tases awesome and makes people happy. Never seen a miserable face when you feed someone a cookie!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I see them do that all the time. I don't think you're looking hard enough.
    I knew that sometimes they complement each other, but it doesn't seem to be all that often. Maybe in other MMA organizations, such as Bellator and the World Series of Fighting, but not in the UFC. And in fictional fantasy fighting games, they complement each other as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    All martial arts look like crap when they're not choreographed. Fighting is pointless anyway. There are better ways to compete against other people than trying to make each others face look like a pulped baked potato.
    In movies and TV shows, fights are choreographed in a certain way so that they look cool. There's no choreography in the actual sport, however, nor in the video games, yet video game fights look cool too.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I've seen everything from UFC 1 to UFC 130, and I saw a lot of compliments and respect.

Fighting looks cool in videogames because they use idealized execution of every move, not real world application. Basically, the attacks look just like they do when you perform a kata, or hit/kick punching bags and focus on technique. You can get away with this in video games because you don't have as many evasive options as you have in real life, and because the consequence of not having a good defence are way more serious. Fighting games are very sterile and predictive environments, compared to even the most rule-heavy real life fighting sports.

In a game, pressing a single button will make half the game's attacks not hurt you. In real life, you need to be able to react in 20 different ways for 20 different attacks. This reduces depth by a lot, which allows for attacks to be be animated much more simplistic and static.

I think it's hard to really appreciate the level of technique seen in MMA fights if you don't have first hand experience with at least one form of martial art.

Also, different strokes for different folks. I find fighting, even with lots of rules, to be a very rewarding experience. You get to learn a lot about your own body's limits, and the feeling of being on top of the situation both mentally and physically feels extremely good. Knowing that even the slightest loss of concentration will lead to painful punishment fills you with adrenalin in ways that many other competitions cannot.
    Last edited by Mirage; 03-29-2015 at 01:07 AM.

That's true, in video games, you just press a certain button to block an attack and it blocks all of the opponent's attacks, except for grabs and throws, which are unblockable.

The other day, I took a few minutes to watch a small segment of a match on the World Series of Fighting on NBCSN, and after the match was over, which ended via a submission, the two fighters shook hands, patted each other on the back, thanked each other for the match, and complemented each other. And then, when the next match began, the two fighters put their fists together as a "good luck" gesture. I haven't seen that in the UFC. From what I have seen of the UFC, they trash talk each other, but why do they do that? If they supposedly respect each other, why do they trash talk each other?

And another thing I would want to know is this: why are martial arts called "arts?" Is it an art form to beat someone up?
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 05-05-2015 at 07:31 PM.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    And another thing I would want to know is this: why are martial arts called "arts?" Is it an art form to beat someone up?
    It's probably a simplification of the original meaning through the first translators at the time. While 術 can refer to art, it also can mean skill. You could translate Wushu into a variety of different words. The word art was probably chosen because of the historical philosophical associations with Chinese Martial Arts. Martial arts is a catch all term now though which refers to any fighting discipline, i'd imagine?

From what I have seen of the UFC, they trash talk each other, but why do they do that? If they supposedly respect each other, why do they trash talk each other?
    Because their job is to provide entertainment to viewers. That's what they are paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    It's probably a simplification of the original meaning through the first translators at the time. While 術 can refer to art, it also can mean skill. You could translate Wushu into a variety of different words. The word art was probably chosen because of the historical philosophical associations with Chinese Martial Arts. Martial arts is a catch all term now though which refers to any fighting discipline, i'd imagine?
    Of all the words, why did they have to choose the word art? I don't think it should be called an art form to beat someone up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    From what I have seen of the UFC, they trash talk each other, but why do they do that? If they supposedly respect each other, why do they trash talk each other?
    Because their job is to provide entertainment to viewers. That's what they are paid for.
    So they respect each other in private, but talk trash in public when everyone's watching? Why?

And another thing: with the exceptions of boxing and wrestling, which were invented in Greece back in ancient times (although modern boxing was invented in the UK), do all martial arts come from Asia? The reason why I'm asking this is because although MMA is a Brazilian invention, martial arts have been typically, traditionally, and historically associated with Asia. Kung fu is from China, taekwondo is from Korea, judo, aikido, karate, and kickboxing are all from Japan, and Muay Thai is from Thailand. I consider Brazilian jiujitsu to be technically Japanese, because it was invented by Japanese immigrants (there are a lot of Japanese immigrants in Brazil).

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unarmed populace leads to creating bare handed fighting styles. Wasn't such a big deal in other countries where people are armed. The martial arts in those countries are all focused around swords, knives, canes etc. Whereas anj unarmed populace focuses on body strikes, kicks, sticks etc. "Oh no, sir, it's not a weapon, it's just a broomst-HWWOOOOARRRRRGH!"

Articles
    Blog Entries

You mean this Ronda?

Looks fine to me. As for the original topic, the amount of smurfs I give could be divided by zero.