Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 2015 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Quinothy P. Buttflakes View Post
    Unarmed populace leads to creating bare handed fighting styles. Wasn't such a big deal in other countries where people are armed. The martial arts in those countries are all focused around swords, knives, canes etc. Whereas anj unarmed populace focuses on body strikes, kicks, sticks etc. "Oh no, sir, it's not a weapon, it's just a broomst-HWWOOOOARRRRRGH!"
    But Japan also had samurais, who wielded swords, and the Philippines also had escrima sticks. Aside from boxing and wrestling, are there any other bare-handed martial arts that don't come from Asia?

And ToriJ, I don't know who that is, but that does NOT look like Ronda Rousey to me. I'd like to know the identity of the person whose picture you posted, though, but she is not Ronda Rousey.
    Is that your final answer?

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Of all the words, why did they have to choose the word art? I don't think it should be called an art form to beat someone up.
    I suppose it depends on one's perspective. There is a lot of confucian philosophical attitudes and culture to deal with in Chinese. When speaking historically about Chinese Martial Arts; we could also define it as: Vegetarians with elevated twatting expertize. Doesn't roll of the tongue quite as fluidly in English though, and probably denegrates an entire system of belief! :P

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

super mil, that's ronda rousey.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

So they respect each other in private, but talk trash in public when everyone's watching? Why?
    Because it is their job.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd like to know the identity of the person whose picture you posted
    It's Ronda Rousey.

Source

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Of all the words, why did they have to choose the word art? I don't think it should be called an art form to beat someone up.
    I suppose it depends on one's perspective. There is a lot of confucian philosophical attitudes and culture to deal with in Chinese. When speaking historically about Chinese Martial Arts; we could also define it as: Vegetarians with elevated twatting expertize. Doesn't roll of the tongue quite as fluidly in English though, and probably denegrates an entire system of belief! :P
    I forgot to ask, what is the official translation and transliteration of "術"? Transliteration is different from translation; it refers to changing the script, rather than the language. For instance, when you write Japanese using the Roman alphabet, you are transliterating it. What is the official translation and transliteration of "術"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    So they respect each other in private, but talk trash in public when everyone's watching? Why?
    Because it is their job.
    But wouldn't that be contradictory?

And wow, ToriJ, that's Ronda Rousey? I didn't recognize her at all in that picture.

And aside from boxing and wrestling, are there any other bare-handed martial arts that don't come from Asia?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

And aside from boxing and wrestling, are there any other bare-handed martial arts that don't come from Asia?
    Why would it be contradictory?

Apart from boxing and wrestling? Savate (france), systema (russia), sambo (russia), keysi (spain), pankration (greece). Some of these borrow from other styles, but this happens in every fighting system, in asia as well. Some aren't really very popular as a combat sport, but then again, neither is aikido or wing chun.

If you also count stick fighting, which is also common in asia, there are even more european styles.
    Last edited by Mirage; 05-02-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Please don't bump threads by deleting posts and then reposting the same post days later. Thank you.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I forgot to ask, what is the official translation and transliteration of "術"? Transliteration is different from translation; it refers to changing the script, rather than the language. For instance, when you write Japanese using the Roman alphabet, you are transliterating it. What is the official translation and transliteration of "術"?

Because it is their job.

And wow, ToriJ, that's Ronda Rousey? I didn't recognize her at all in that picture.

If we were to convert 術 to the Latin alphabet, if we were using the Putonghua as the syllabic standard, then it is translated as shù. As a generic approximation of its meaning, you would probably assimilate it will the word 'Skill' in English. Context is everything though. 術 Appears in various disciplines and words that relate to forms of art as well. It stretches from its inclusion oh the word for mathematics to cosmetology.

Ultimately, to refer to it as martial arts in English would be linked to Tzu Sun's Art of War.

Why would it be contradictory?

Apart from boxing and wrestling? Savate (france), systema (russia), sambo (russia), keysi (spain), pankration (greece). Some of these borrow from other styles, but this happens in every fighting system, in asia as well. Some aren't really very popular as a combat sport, but then again, neither is aikido or wing chun.

If you also count stick fighting, which is also common in asia, there are even more european styles.
    It would be contradictory because if they respect each other, why would they trash talk each other?

I've heard of pankration; it combines the attacks of boxing and wrestling, but has very few rules, and was an ancient Greek predecessor to Brazilian vale tudo. Let me ask you this, though: if there are lots of European martial arts, why aren't they popular? Why aren't they as popular as their Asian counterparts?

And Psychotic, I edited my post, adding things to it.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because trash talking each other is part of the show they put on, and is part of competition. It can be fun to trash talk each other. Also, it's a valid tactic to try and get in your opponents head and psych them out. Any advantage you can get because respect or not, they are fighting to win.

And side note since I was on staff before, editing a post doesn't bump the thread and staff can see deleted posts.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

And Psychotic, I edited my post, adding things to it.
    Nope, you definitely deleted it twice and reposted.

There's a handy-dandy "Edit Post" at the bottom of your post, and you should use that when you want to add more to your original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Because trash talking each other is part of the show they put on, and is part of competition. It can be fun to trash talk each other. Also, it's a valid tactic to try and get in your opponents head and psych them out. Any advantage you can get because respect or not, they are fighting to win.

And side note since I was on staff before, editing a post doesn't bump the thread and staff can see deleted posts.
    Why would they do that, though? Is that even fair?

Also, why aren't European martial arts, other than boxing and wrestling, as popular as Asian martial arts?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post

Why would they do that, though? Is that even fair?

Also, why aren't European martial arts, other than boxing and wrestling, as popular as Asian martial arts?
    Of course it's fair. If you can't handle trash talk from an opponent then you don't deserve to win.

And I would guess that the answer to the latter question is because there aren't that many European martial arts that have survived to the present day the way Asian martial arts have, there's less of the mystique with things that don't come from totally different cultures, and because they may be less common in general and less effective.

But even just on the question of popularity, I know of no European martial arts being taught anywhere in my province except for boxing and wrestling. But there are plenty of places in my city alone that teach Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Taekwondo, Karate, etc. It's kind of hard for anything else to become popular in MMA when there's few places to actually learn them without leaving the country.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Boxing and wrestling have been proven to be extremely efficient tools to have in your MMA toolbox, though. You'd be wise to not underestimate them.

If you want to have a bit of fun, you could compare the number of popular western martial arts and how well they've done in MMA with the number of popular eastern martial arts and how many of them have done well in MMA.

Boxing and wrestling. Both really good in MMA. How many other popular ones are there? One? that's 66.7% for western ones.

Karate (some styles, anyway), ju jitsu, brazilian ju jitsu if you want to count that as asian. If you can name more than one additional popular eastern martial art (i'm pretty sure you can), it looks like western martial arts have a much higher success rate!
    Last edited by Mirage; 05-09-2015 at 12:07 AM.