Thread: EoFF Ranks Final Fantasy Final Vote - FFVII vs FFIX

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Shinra really is a fantastic antagonist conceptually. I'd say they were a fantastic antagonist in general, but it's been forever since I've played all of VII and can't remember how well it was pulled off. I do now kind of wish that Sephiroth had a lot less screen time though. Not that he had that much, but I did really like the opening stuff as you mentioned, Psychotic. There's something really menacing and exciting about an antagonist when you just keep seeing the aftermath but rarely if ever actually seeing the person that caused it.

Final Fantasy 9 is not winning, but I am so proud that my baby is doing so well.

* proud tears roll down cheeks, like a proud mother *

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Time to cast my vote. I've thought long and hard about it but it's got to be FFIX.

FFVII was fantastic. It was my introduction to Final Fantasy, and without it I doubt I'd be here now voting at all. The game has so many memorable moments; the sector 7 plate collapsing, escaping from ShinRa HQ, the attack on Junon. Then you have the optional side quests of Yuffie and Vincent which also adds to the experience. Also, Yuffie is one of my favourite FF characters.

However I'm voting in terms of enjoyment and replayability. FFIX takes it there. Replaying FFVII is a bit of a chore, but I can easily jump back in to IX. It has a good story with a great cast of characters, and I love the games art style and fun nature. Plus Steiner loves Pickles, definitely a man of my own heart.
    Last edited by fat_moogle; 02-18-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    VII has its rabid fanbase because for many it was their first venture into RPGs and 3D gaming. This cements it into their hearts as it was their first love. Rose tinted glasses will always be on for most fans which means a lot of EoFFers. No telling them otherwise or they get grumpy and rude. Regardless of who VII would have ended up against, it would have been the same attitude.
    This sums me up perfectly.

I voted for FFVII

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

VII has its rabid fanbase because for many it was their first venture into RPGs and 3D gaming. This cements it into their hearts as it was their first love. Rose tinted glasses will always be on for most fans which means a lot of EoFFers. No telling them otherwise or they get grumpy and rude. Regardless of who VII would have ended up against, it would have been the same attitude.
    It wasn't my first RPG, my first 3D game, or even one of my top three FFs and I still voted for it

c37615e3e7246ba1c451ce3473480b000bc982ce7b98525f3e4a0097efd89f7b.jpg

edit: If only FF IX was switched out for FF II. Then my top four FFs would be the top four in this event
    Last edited by Pike; 02-18-2015 at 12:50 PM.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Each game has its faults. VII has its rabid fanbase because for many it was their first venture into RPGs and 3D gaming. This cements it into their hearts as it was their first love. Rose tinted glasses will always be on for most fans which means a lot of EoFFers. No telling them otherwise or they get grumpy and rude. Regardless of who VII would have ended up against, it would have been the same attitude.
    My first RPGs were tabletop games, nerd On computer it was stuff like The Bard's Tale and HoMM, and I played some PSX JRPGs before FFVII came along too. Plus I don't know how many people would have it as their first 3D game given that the PSX and Saturn had been out for awhile before this, and even release games like Battle Arena Toshinden, Krazy Ivan, Destruction Derby, Wipeout, and Jumping Flash were full 3D. No doubt some did because they bought the console on the back of FFVII alone, but not that many.

Each game has its faults. VII has its rabid fanbase because for many it was their first venture into RPGs and 3D gaming. This cements it into their hearts as it was their first love. Rose tinted glasses will always be on for most fans which means a lot of EoFFers. No telling them otherwise or they get grumpy and rude. Regardless of who VII would have ended up against, it would have been the same attitude.
    It wasn't like that for me. I was heavy into RPGs during the SNES era (dabbed a bit on it on the NES days but not much) and my first FF was IV (but the first one I finished and which got me hooked into the series was VI). I was also playing 3D games on my Mac long before I had a Playstation.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Most, not all. You Nerds.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

At least IX has put up a good fight. It's not like VII is winning by a landslide.

I'm happy with whichever wins though.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    At least IX has put up a good fight. It's not like VII is winning by a landslide.

I'm happy with whichever wins though.
    You know, I thought this final would go something more like this:

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I thought there would have been a closer race here, but I am still not surprised by this result.

Articles

In a shock win surprising no one FFVII has beaten FFIX by IX votes and is crowned EoFF's favourite Final Fantasy. Post shocked gifs and disappointed faces below.

Ah well. Nobody's perfect, I'm sure the rest of you will see sense eventually

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

so guys

guys

I guess

wait for it

I guess a Cloud and/or Squall did hinder them

lmao