Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Game For Life

Default One Game For Life

If you were only able to play one game from now and for the rest of your life, which game would you pick?

I'm picturing some sort of doomsday scenario where you're on a desert island that happens to be well stocked with food and refreshments, but only a single gaming machine and game. There's no hope of rescue because the island exists between dimensions, so this game is going to have to last a long, long time. Which game do you hope is on there?

Blog Entries

I guess that means I wouldn't have internet and so DayZ wouldn't be accessible? I don't know what I'd do.

It's OK, I will allow the game to connect to the internet because of magic or science or something. You just can't download/play any new games cuz that'd be cheating!

Now, while my favourite games are (naturally) Final Fantasy games... I think after a few dozen times through it would start to get old. Need something with a bit more longevity. Something that allows for creativity. Something a bit sandboxy perhaps.

It'd either be RollerCoaster Tycoon (2) or Minecraft. I'm not actually a massive Minecraft fan but I think it might be a good fit for the one game ever scenario.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

cookie clicker

Articles
    Blog Entries

This was actually pretty hard at first. It broke my heart but visual novels were out because reading the same story without variation easily gets stale no matter how good it may be. Sad, but true, for me at least.

Thought about some Final Fantasy games... X-2 and XII have quite a bit of longevity and I could probably play them for a long time before I got too bored to play them anymore. X-2 especially, that game serves itself well to all kinds of differently styled playthroughs. I thought about VII because you can mod that easily with current tools, but that felt like bending the rules...

And that made me think of Warcraft III, a game with a full-on editor straight from the developers. Now this game I could play the rest of my life and STILL not have gone through even 10% of what this game has to offer. I could even recreate other games and code all sorts of different stuff with it. A game I really could play eternally. I might get sick of it from time to time but it's about as impossible to run out of things to do with it as it is to play every game in the world. I suppose that applies to Minecraft as well, but I really far prefer Warcraft.

So yeah, Warcraft III. Starcraft II would probably be just as good, but I didn't play much of it.

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone but my vote goes to Dark Souls. I wonder if I can ever get enough of that game.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Assuming both internet access and all future updates/patches/expansion packs, then probably World of Warcraft. It might not be the best game ever, but I'm pretty sure it could satisfy me forever.

Otherwise I might have to hand it to Civ IV. I think I could easily dump years into its many different scenarios.

edit: alternatively, SimCity 4. For the same reason.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Probably a huge RPG like Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy XII, Oblivion or a competitive online multiplayer game like Counter-Strike or Dota 2, provided I could get the latest patches, content updates, and somehow barter with the Steam Marketplace for cosmetics and consumables.

Although I guess Guild Wars II covers all that in one package...

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's really tough, but I'd probably go with WoW as well. If we're allowed to have mods, then Civ IV probably wins out, though that in turn introduces Morrowind and maybe Skyrim. I'd also give strong consideration to SimCity 4, Dwarf Fortress, and Darkest Hour/Crusader Kings 2/Victoria 2/Europa Universalis IV.

Or Nethack. or Tetris: The Grandmaster Edition.

That's quite a though one, Fox

Not sure really...first thing that comes to one's mind is of course favorite games, in my case FF VII & XII, Skyrim, Dark Souls, etc; but being stuck with being able to play just a single game is definitely bound to take it's toll no matter how much you like it. Out of those I think Skyrim (specially with the three DLCs) would probably be the better choice as it is massive and offers a huge amount of possibilities for you to role play virtually any character you want and I've put hundreds upon hundreds of hours into it and I still feel like playing it. But a factor in that, I think, is that I am able to take a break from it and play something else and then I come back to it. If I were stuck with only being able to play Skyrim, I don't know if it would work out that well.

Maybe a more casual type of game would be a better choice? The aforementioned Tetris is an interesting option.

Yeah, now that I think about it I'd probably take some sudoku game that has thousands of puzzles or something. But as far as real games, I'm inclined to agree with those wanting deep base games with editors available like the Infinity Engine games, or NWN or the more recent Elder Scrolls games. Then you can craft your own stories

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Probably an elder scrolls or fallout game. Maybe a persona game.
    Or Terraria.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Flappy Bird

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

If I was going to pick a TES game I'd pick Morrowind; the sheer amount of things you can do and ways you can break the game via enchanting and alchemy and stuff would entertain me for a long time. Ultimately though I think I'd still go with something that isn't story-based, like Civ, SimCity or one of the grand strategies.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

MMOs are strong candidates, if we are allowed to get patches. If not that, something like Civ 4 or perhaps indeed Morrowind.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?