Thread: 2015 Daytona 500

Default 2015 Daytona 500

The 2015 Daytona 500, the opener of the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, is on February 22, 2015, and begins at 1pm EST.
    Is that your final answer?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Are you just informing us?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Seems that way. But since I like racing that isn't boring as watching paint dry iim more excited for the Australian Grand Prix in just over 22 days.

Blog Entries

I missed it and forgot to record. ;__;
    I was bizzy with my kiddo and stuff.

Oh well.

Joey Logano won the race, leading just the last few laps. Jeff Gordon, the polesitter, running in his final Daytona 500 before he retires at the end of this season, wrecked on the last lap and finished 33rd.
    Is that your final answer?

Blog Entries

Jeff Gordon isn't retiring completely.

He's just not going to be racing as much.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That wreck was pretty awful, but not near as bad as the Xfinity race the day before. Kyle Busch got to' up from the flo' up. I don't like him much buts sad to see a talented person get put out of commission before the season gets under way.

Also I totally don't get why you come in the thread specifically to say nothing more than you don't like NASCAR and how you'll be watching something else. Lots of people don't like NASCAR. Lots of people, for some reason I will never understand, think F1 is like fine wine of auto racing to NASCAR's Mountain Dew. Its still a bunch of dudes racing nearly identical cars on a closed course. One just looks like a sedan and the other looks like a go-kart.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    That wreck was pretty awful, but not near as bad as the Xfinity race the day before. Kyle Busch got to' up from the flo' up. I don't like him much buts sad to see a talented person get put out of commission before the season gets under way.

Also I totally don't get why you come in the thread specifically to say nothing more than you don't like NASCAR and how you'll be watching something else. Lots of people don't like NASCAR. Lots of people, for some reason I will never understand, think F1 is like fine wine of auto racing to NASCAR's Mountain Dew. Its still a bunch of dudes racing nearly identical cars on a closed course. One just looks like a sedan and the other looks like a go-kart.
    Not into racing that much myself, but I'll play devils advocate here. A lot of people who don't like NASCAR because it's just driving in circles. Granted, it's not nearly as easy as it looks, but that's the reason people will cite the most. The other F1 races have courses with multiple turns of varying degrees. It's more exciting to watch from a surface perspective.

Like I said, I don't get into it, but when I visit my folks they usually throw on a race when one is on if we don't feel like watching a movie or something else. I kind of half pay attention at times. It can be interesting, but I've never been that much of a gear head.

Blog Entries

NASCAR doesn't get the award for most oppressed sport on EoFF. That's golf You just don't understand the vagaries of such a great game.

there was a picture here

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    NASCAR doesn't get the award for most oppressed sport on EoFF. That's golf You just don't understand the vagaries of such a great game.
    I'll say it before and I'll say it again: Golf is a fun sport to play, but sucks to watch.

Actually, when there is a narrow gap in the leader board with two or more players things can actually be fun to watch. But that's how I feel about Baseball, too (as in it's fun to watch at the end of an exciting game within the playoffs or World Series).

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I'm not a huge fan of NASCAR, and I do like F1 much better. Having stated that, I'll concede that I'm not a fan of the development rules for either of them. I understand the need to homologate the cars in areas of safety, but rules like these seem to go beyond safety IMHO.

I miss the days when changes like this were possible, and could be ground breaking. There's actually more body work to the car. It was left off to demonstrate the new steering design.

Anyway, there's still leagues out there that allow for exploration and expansion of ideas. The FIA World Endurance Championships had three pretty competitive teams last year, all running significantly different cars. A Porsche with a gasoline 2.0l 4-cylinder turbo, a Toyota with a 3.7 liter naturally aspirated gasoline V8, and Audi with a 4l diesel V6 turbo.

They're all running vastly different aerodynamic designs, and different energy recovery systems. There's other manufacturers coming along do weigh in on the racing with their own ideas. It's neat to watch.

Blog Entries

I gotta get into NASCAR better this season. My dad and I usually text during the races haha

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's not that I dislike Nascar, it's just that I dislike oval tracks. I wouldn't have liked F1 on an oval either , but I could show some interest for nascar on road courses. Appearance wise, I don't really think neither nascar cars or F1 cars look very fancy. Le Mans prototypes (or even non-prototypes) however, those are often pretty cool.

I can however understand that being at a nascar race in person might be exciting, considering they almost always go at high speeds, and that there can quite a bit of contact, and having the engines roar past you, but watching it on TV, you lose most of that.

Endurance races like le mans are more my thing, but those are almost impossible to watch as something that isn't a 1-2 hour long highlights video. The track is so huge, and they race for so long that actually seeing the most exciting events as they happen is pretty unlikely if you are actually at the location.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?