Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Midorisa's art thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    Beautiful as always. Like checking back in and out of this thread every now again and be amazed!
    Thank you! It's nice to know that this thread is interesting so many people. I do work hard to improve and make more art, both digital and traditional. As suggested, I've started the Red XIII one, and I'm thinking about doing Fran from XII. I like her facial structure, so it would be something different to try .

Blog Entries

Default More FF art!

So, after some brake, i'm back with some fanart work from the FF series. This time though, it's a guardian force creature I especially like, Shiva from FFVIII.
    I like her stylized alien like hair style especially. Of course there are many great summon monsters through the series, but Shiva is one the summons that is quite classical and is always portrayed as a human like ice creature. I also like the flowing animation they used.

I wanted to try and challenge myself with her pose and I tried to improve in the overall composition and how the image flows. Practice and more practice, over and over again. Thanks for being interested this far and I hope you guys are happy to get some FF stuff again!
    shiva___diamond_dust_by_midorisa-d9cn6u4.jpg

Blog Entries

Default Update

alucard___you_are_dog_food_by_midorisa-d9f4dww.jpg

New fan art once again. Hellsing was one of the first shows I watched that wasn't as clearly directed to a child/very young teen audience back then. One of the best things in the first anime adaption was definitely the Yasushi Ishii's soundtrack, for me at least, such a fitting mood. I blended a bit both styles in this, both ova's and the series before that style. I'm also thinking about doing Seras or Integra. Anyway, since it's a vampire themed piece, I want to wish all of you happy Halloween with this piece! ( even though i'm a bit late ).

Tools: Sai, little photosop cs.
    Last edited by Midorisa; 11-01-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Update: contest entry

anthropomorphic_multimedia_by_midorisa-d9fl4i0.jpg

Some personal stuff this time. This is done for the contest held by Celsys, Clip/manga studio paint. The theme for the contest was to give anthropomorphic shape to an electronic device/thing found in home, and paint it with Clip studio paint. So my idea was a multimedia center with audio, games, internet, cloud and video menu. I decided to give it a go as I seldom have taken part to any contest, winning or not. So this is kind of my debut in that area too. There are some really good people participating, so I'm not sure If I have a super big change to win anything, but trying is always better than not participating at all .

Anyway, thank you for being interested this far. Now that this contest is done, I'll see what I can do about those requests I've received .
    Last edited by Midorisa; 04-13-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Traditional art update

the_folk_of_the_earth_by_midorisa-d9gg7g8.jpg

This is one piece again for the series I'm making about ancient Finnish creatures, gods and spirits. In the Finnish folk tales and lore, Maanväki or maahiset are little creatures of the earth, troll or fairy-like beings. In Scandinavia quite similar nature spirits are called Vitter. The word "maahinen" contains a word for earth "maa", when "maanväki" literally translates to "folk of the earth".

Maahiset live in their own world underground. Their world was thought to be the opposite of our own, kind of it's reflection that could even be upside down. Sometimes they could rise from the depths and visit the human world, and there were stories that they could swap peoples babies with their own. When living on their own world, it was said that they were peaceful, tidy and well behaved spirits. They could also make people ill if offended and disrespected. Fore example, a person falling to the ground could offend them and they could infect you with a disease called the rage of earth, maanviha. They could also lure and mesmerize people to stay with them in their would by offering you gifts, drink and food.

Thanks for looking .

Tools: Inks (black and white), pencil and copics.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Looks great! I didn't know Sephiroth was a Finnish deity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Thank you! And well, of course there's my inspirations sources that partly come from the games, but if we think that the characters with long hair and long bangs all look/are like Sephiroth there would be quite a few of them. But, it's in the same time done for the different faces practice purposes so I drew there things that liked, and being a fan of the games I of course like the art style as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midorisa View Post
    Thank you! And well, of course there's my inspirations sources that partly come from the games, but if we think that the characters with long hair and long bangs all look/are like Sephiroth there would be quite a few of them. But, it's in the same time done for the different faces practice purposes so I drew there things that liked, and being a fan of the games I of course like the art style as well.
    Yeah, it is hard to get away from the long hair and bangs look.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's sometimes hard to design something new when you realize that with all characters designs, there's always tons of similar characters around, having similar color palettes etc. For example I've seen a lot of artworks presenting a character with a long turquoise hair receive messages like "this is a Hatsune Miku rip-off!". That trait is so strongly associated with the popular character that sometimes even a hint of similarity brings it to your mind. In that sense, the character designer has really succeeded in creating a good and memorable character.

So, it's a bit like when composing music, you have to design the 'old ideas' and ingredients over and over again and mix things up to make them feel fresh. And if you you have just a few sources that you're pulling ideas from, it can easily damage your art by making it too similar to it's inspiration sources. There's no absolute originality in anything, as all is based on things we have seen and 'consumed' in our lifetime. What makes the difference is our mind and we ourselves, how we see those things and filter the experience which then continues to take form in our own drawings.The only part being somewhat original, is our brain/mind that is never just 100% like anyone elses .

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it's sometimes hard to design something new when you realize that with all characters designs, there's always tons of similar characters around, having similar color palettes etc. For example I've seen a lot of artworks presenting a character with a long turquoise hair receive messages like "this is a Hatsune Miku rip-off!". That trait is so strongly associated with the popular character that sometimes even a hint of similarity brings it to your mind. In that sense, the character designer has really succeeded in creating a good and memorable character.

So, it's a bit like when composing music, you have to design the 'old ideas' and ingredients over and over again and mix things up to make them feel fresh. And if you you have just a few sources that you're pulling ideas from, it can easily damage your art by making it too similar to it's inspiration sources. There's no absolute originality in anything, as all is based on things we have seen and 'consumed' in our lifetime. What makes the difference is our mind and we ourselves, how we see those things and filter the experience which then continues to take form in our own drawings.The only part being somewhat original, is our brain/mind that is never just 100% like anyone elses .
    Oh, I agree entirely, and it does run into that argument of 'well, what is original'? New work is always inspired or referential of other works.

Blog Entries

Default Snowy elves

This is a gift painting, presenting an OC character of my watcher in deviantart. The characters name is Skyla, and she's an elf character with horns/antlers.

snowy_skyla_by_midorisa-d9gp2j8.jpg

Next ones will be some FF stuff again, going back to the FFVI. I'm also drawing the traditional FFVII red XIII piece as well .
    Last edited by Midorisa; 11-15-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Oh, I agree entirely, and it does run into that argument of 'well, what is original'? New work is always inspired or referential of other works.
    Yeah, that's exactly it. Its quite important to watch what other people do in the field of art and 'consume' all kinds of art yourself, even if you hear the saying that people that do the art for games/ a lot of it have no time to play those themselves. I find it always inspiring to to watch some series, or sometimes play a game. It's after all the reason why I am doing this myself. Of course I don't spend that much time on those as I did in the past, but still it's important for your inspiration.

Blog Entries

Default FFVII fanart - Nanaki

I was requested to draw a traditional fanart of Red XIII/Nanaki by LoonyBob, so here it is . Arriving to Cosmo Canyn was one of the favorite moments in the game for me, with its soothing music and a touching sidestory that deepened the Reds character. I really loved how it approached the topics like pride and honor, sorrow and also sacrifice. I wanted to draw in some of the important moments/characters that were involved in his story, Bugenhagen, Seto and also professor Hojo. I'm moving into a new flat this weekend, but it try to update soon .
    ffvii___nanaki_by_midorisa-d9i2uec.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

This is just the best.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I too think Cosmo Canyon is the best sequence in the game. Great work as always Midorisa!