Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Midorisa's art thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midorisa View Post
    I sometimes don't post all stuff here that I post on deviantart,
    Favouritism!

No, only joking. My brother used to be a deviant artist, he sorta stopped after his electronic tablet broke. Shame.

Which artists would you say you are most inspired by, Mido? You mentioned Amano; any others?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midorisa View Post
    I sometimes don't post all stuff here that I post on deviantart,
    Favouritism!

No, only joking. My brother used to be a deviant artist, he sorta stopped after his electronic tablet broke. Shame.

Which artists would you say you are most inspired by, Mido? You mentioned Amano; any others?

Favouritism indeed :P. No, it's just easier to keep your art in one or two art communities/sites and consider those your main galleries.
    I still keep Da my main gallery even though there are other sites as well like artstation and even drawcrowd, paigeeview and graphicker, tumblr, twitter and then facebook. It's just that I've been on da the longest even thought it has it's flaws. What a shame what happened to your brother, I hope he can get things sorted and post his stuff online again.

I have many favorite artist, and of course FF games and the art in them is one obvious influence. How ever it's bad to have just a few sources for your inspiration so I try to avoid showing that love so much that it becomes a burden for my own stuff. So here it goes, prepare for serious art rant .

What I like about Amanos style is his organic, flowing lines and the way he uses color, I also adore the traditional painting style and faces he draws for his characters and the eyes. I'm especially noting his clothing design, colors and a rich use of accessories and jewelry that he often uses when designing characters. In Tetsuya Nomuras style I especially like the clean shape language ( I'm really into shapes that read well and are interesting) and sharp, clear, edgy style. Nice details but simplified in some areas. It's really all about good and clear shape language. It's a fun style where you can exaggerate the proportions and really have fun with shapes. I would like to merge some of that into my own style as I really like it.

Then there are artist like Alfons Maria mucha and art nouveau poster art style. Again what interest me is the clear shapes and organic, flowing lines and just like in Amanos style, you can find a lot of different nature elements that I like, like leaves, plants and flowers. Harmonic, earthly color palettes.

Then there are people that I follow in Artstation and whose art I look up to, especially their color usage/lighting and understanding shape and a sense of volume as I want to get better at those myself. I've noticed that I really like some Korean and Chinese painters and their use of color.

Some Examples, prepare to be amazed as these people are top notch and experienced professionals:
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/rupid79 (clear and sharp shapes, armor/metal detailing)
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/ruanjia (desaturated colors that pop up with brighter accent colors, using color to replace strong lines to sculpt shapes, sharp shapes that really pop out of the canvas)

https://www.artstation.com/artist/pan (Again, the sharp, clear shapes and awesome coloring)
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/ming (composition, masterful use of color and framing shapes with it)

https://www.artstation.com/artist/bluezima (more stylized, great style, bright colors)
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/lokken (great coloring and textures, especially when painting rock, metal, horns)

As I've painted digitally 3 years now, I look up to these experienced people and many more. I didn't link all the artists and paintings that I like as that list would easily grow to be ridiculously long. After I started to follow online art forums and sites my influences and also my goals as an artist have become much wider and higher. But as the FF games are among my first influences, the art in them always has it's special place in my heart. FF7, being the first game from the series that I played as a child, had a huge impact on me. I just got this crazy strong urge to be able to create something similar and become good at drawing so that I could portray characters and worlds the way they deserved to be portrayed. Sadly I lost my 'faith' when I got older and didn't think it was possible to make it with art and I lost many years when it comes to drawing. I took me quite long to realize that this is what I always loved to do and I should have listened to that more carefully.

Anyway, when it comes to developing my own style, I would like to merge the sharp, clear shape language and great coloring into a semi-realistic style (that might shift into being sometimes even more stylized for example when doing the eyes and faces). So I constantly try to be aware of what works for me in someone else's style and what I would like to change in it so that I liked it even more. Still a long journey to go, when it comes to skill and developing my style but it's very interesting and rewarding journey. It's truly true that there are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Hope my answer wasn't too long, as I really enjoyed thinking this and why I particularly like any of these styles and which part especially and why. When it comes to art my answers seems to grow long..

Blog Entries

Default Update

Just some update with practice portrait work. I've had some health problems so I had to take little brake a while ago, but now I'm doing fine again .
    It's an original design just for fun, I wanted to paint an image with strong contrasting moon and blue moonlight.

blue_night_by_midorisa-d9tjh7y.jpg

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Wow your coloring skills are great. I'm very lacking in digitally painting but I don't do it enough. Any tips? That blue moon contrast looks great!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I love the moon contrasted against the deep reds of the woman's hair.

Great work Midorisa, as always!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Wow your coloring skills are great. I'm very lacking in digitally painting but I don't do it enough. Any tips? That blue moon contrast looks great!
    Thank you! I suggest that you look out tutorials about painting and color theory. Pay close attention to the artwork of people you admire and really analyze what is it that makes their work so appealing and colors good. And try to replicate and understand that in your own works. I study and do that all the time. One tip that is important is to realize that all colors are related to each other. A color that is very desaturated and gray on it's own might seem cold and uninteresting, but when it's surrounded by darker and contrasting warm tones, it suddenly looks like an another color more towards green rather than gray and perfectly fits the skin tones in a certain lighting scene, for example. The color that surround the color will affect how it looks.

So always treat you painting as 'a single unit' while choosing colors and deciding composition. Picking colors not thinking about the big picture will possibly result to ugly colors instead of color harmony. A green shade of a characters trousers isn't the bright green but much more gray green in one painting and dark brown can be a colors of gold in one painting even though you might think the gold is brighter yellow. But the colors still seems lively and beautiful as a part of the whole painting because of color contrast. Decide what is being promoted and build your image and all the aspects in it to make your main theme as strong and interesting as possible. Color is one of the hardest things to master I think. I don't think that anyone can even master that in their life time completely, as there's always something new to discover. Also, don't shade with black and white, do it only if you really understand color as sometimes, rarely, it does work. Study real life and photos as well. It's all about studying and practicing .
    Last edited by Midorisa; 03-01-2016 at 07:23 AM.

Blog Entries

I love the moon contrasted against the deep reds of the woman's hair.

Great work Midorisa, as always!

Thank you! I wanted to try having strong front/background contrast that draws the attention strongly to the face .

Blog Entries

Default Art update

I'm back with some new fanart, this time from FFVIII. One of my followers on deviantart requested me to paint Rinoa. I wanted to paint the iconic flower field where she awaits for Squall. This is a bit simpler drawing, as I wanted to take some time off from my other bigger paintings so I started to doodle around and this was the result.
    Thank you for being interested, I'll post again!

rinoa___promise_by_midorisa-d9x81ww.jpg

(I noticed that the image tends to pixelate and sharpen the whites oddly in small size.You can see the real quality when you click the image or see it on deviantart.)

Tools: Paint Tool Sai and some PS CS6.
    Last edited by Midorisa; 04-02-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Holy crap those colours. x_x Damned gorgeous! You are amazing.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Holy crap those colours. x_x Damned gorgeous! You are amazing.
    Thank you, I wanted to make the colors vibrant and bright, so that they really enhance her personality .

Articles
    Blog Entries

I love the detail to the hair. I always find hair so tricky, as there's so many layers and textures to it. I mean, I make it sound as if I'm an artist; I can only imagine hair being tricky.

Blog Entries

I love the detail to the hair. I always find hair so tricky, as there's so many layers and textures to it. I mean, I make it sound as if I'm an artist; I can only imagine hair being tricky.
    Thank you. It's easier to paint by layering and having clear stages to follow. Just basically paint from the big forms and base shades towards middle shades and forms and continue adding details until you're satisfied and the image has the depth you want it to have. But hair can be a bit tricky if you wish it to have semi-realistic look. I usually spend much time painting hair, and I wish to become better at it still as my process isn't as clear as I would like it to be.
    Last edited by Midorisa; 04-03-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Original art update

I found an old sketch lately, so I decided to use it as a base for this. The making steps were a bit different this time, as I blocked really roughly all the colors in and then started to refine the shapes and details. Usually I've some kind of a lineart/sketch as base which I then paint over with colors. Anyhow, it was good exercise and I wanted to paint some wings and make them really colorful .

fairytale_by_midorisa-d9zqntt.jpg
    Last edited by Midorisa; 04-24-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Beautiful! I'm running outta words to describe your art pieces.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Beautiful! I'm running outta words to describe your art pieces.
    Thank you Bob! I'm always happy when people take their time to express their thoughts .