Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Midorisa's art thread

Blog Entries

Default Some traditional art

Just some traditional sketching for the gods/creatures themed series I'm making. Finally got myself into traditional drawing as I've been painting digitally most of the time for some time now. The character is a water spirit, vetehinen. Those art requests I received take me far more time that they should, really. Still intending to finish them though.

Thanks for looking .

water_spirit___vedenhaltija_by_midorisa-da75lsb.jpg

Blog Entries

Default Fanart update - Fran :)

At last I managed to finish the Fran fanart piece Fynn requested ages ago. This was one of those on/off artworks, that seem to stay unfinished for ages.
    But I'm happy I decided to call it done for now. I was inspired by the Salikawood atmosphere, I remember it was nice to just run around in the forest and look at the beautiful trees, sunlight and plants. Also, it's been some time I've uploaded any FF related art here .
    fran_by_midorisa-daemmtb.jpg
    Last edited by Midorisa; 08-20-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

oooooo those colors! That's great!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    oooooo those colors! That's great!
    Thanks Freya! I actually had some trouble coming up with colors that I liked. Eventually I ended up with these and decided to call it done, being quite exhausted

I just want to say that your artwork is amazing! It gives me the motivation to become a better artist myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndis Highwind View Post
    I just want to say that your artwork is amazing! It gives me the motivation to become a better artist myself.
    Thank you so much, that is so nice to hear! It's so cool that the cycle of inspiration kind of continues to grow as people get inspired, share art and inspire others again .

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I haven't checked in this thread in a while, but your work is still really impressive. Sorry to hear you had some health issues, but I hope it's all mostly clearing up!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    I haven't checked in this thread in a while, but your work is still really impressive. Sorry to hear you had some health issues, but I hope it's all mostly clearing up!
    Thank you! I've been a bit inactive lately myself, but now I try to get back in the saddle so to speak. I had some pain problems with my hand and wrist, but now I'm doing fine and I haven't experienced any pain there anymore. I'm happy I can draw everyday again, but it was a good reminder that it's important to take care of yourself and not to overdo it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

That's an amazing piece there Midorisa! You captured Fran's expression rather well, I think!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    That's an amazing piece there Midorisa! You captured Fran's expression rather well, I think!
    Thank you Formalhaut! I tried to capture her essence, but there's quite a few good quality photos of her out there. Her face is shaped a bit differently as well, as they clearly wanted to show some rabbit-like features on her face, so it was challenging to try and capture some of that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just hopping in to jump on the bandwagon and say that I'm very happy that you're back and your art continues to be jaw-droppingly gorgeous!

I do like that Fran, your technique is just phenomenal, but once again I find myself more emotionally captivated by that traditional drawing of the vetehinen. There's just something so flowy about it that makes me feel all inspired and stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Just hopping in to jump on the bandwagon and say that I'm very happy that you're back and your art continues to be jaw-droppingly gorgeous!

I do like that Fran, your technique is just phenomenal, but once again I find myself more emotionally captivated by that traditional drawing of the vetehinen. There's just something so flowy about it that makes me feel all inspired and stuff.

Thank you Fynn! I have noticed that sometimes I tend to approach digital art somewhat differently than doing traditional. It's a bit irritating to notice that I seem to think much more 'technically' when doing digital art, whilst when doing traditional it feels much more loose and and I sort of just follow my own hand. I also place really high expectations and demands for myself. With simple line drawings you kind of preserve the life of your drawing from the start to finish, and you just think about the beauty of lines and shapes. In digital full color painting you have to manage a bigger and complex stuff all at the same time, you have color, values, shape language etc, and you don't have visible lines. On the other hand, I've learned so much when doing digital that transfers to my traditional and vice versa.

Sometimes it's quite overwhelming to try to merge all the information you've learned into your art fluently though. I've thought that maybe these are partly the reasons why I sometimes tend to kill the life out of my digital colored works by over-rendering some stuff. I'm still not experienced and confident enough. At least I feel that way sometimes when looking more loose artworks. I have a hard time to try and treat the digital pieces just like drawing traditionally, because I've this odd thought sometimes, that if I can render something more realistic, that's automatically somewhat "better" than the more expressive and painterly stuff I could also be painting. And of course that's not the case. I love that kind of artwork, with some rough brushstrokes and organic feeling to them, but I just have a hard time giving myself 'a permission' to explore it without falling into a hole of over polishing and rendering.

Then again, I'm still developing my style and haven't quite found 'that something' yet. I'm sort of searching for that constantly when I'm painting so that I could become more confident and expressive with my art. It's hard, when there's some many stuff you could be doing. Maybe I should really try to challenge myself to do digital piece that clearly doesn't try to be any realistic that much, but expressive, flowy and colorful. Even at the risk that people will be responding badly to it or think it's not my "style". I should try not to think any of that and just paint for myself, thinking what I'd love to paint.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

Blog Entries

Default Art update- Fanart

Just thought to update some art not related to Final Fantasy if people are interested to see it .

First one is Fanart from Inuyasha's Sesshomaru I made some months ago.
    sesshomaru_by_midorisa-da874rs.jpg

The second one is a traditional sketch fanart from Ghibli's Mononoke, presenting San and forest creatures.

princess_mononoke_by_midorisa-dafyn4c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Wow, they're both amazing! I really like the Princess Mononoke one though. Keep it up!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndis Highwind View Post
    Wow, they're both amazing! I really like the Princess Mononoke one though. Keep it up!
    Thank you, I will! I've thought about doing a digital piece in style that I use a lot in my traditional drawings. They are sometimes more 'poster-like style' when it comes to composition. It would be interesting to see how that style would look done in full digital color.