Thread: Midorisa's art thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yep. There's just that attention to detail and all those pretty curves that just scream CLAMP to me. Really, amazing work!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Yep. There's just that attention to detail and all those pretty curves that just scream CLAMP to me. Really, amazing work!
    I really like organic, flowing lines and shapes. Detailed and decorative illustrations have always been ones that I've found most enchanting, so I want to try and bring all the things I love into my work. I'm so happy to get positive feedback, it's so inspiring, thank you!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You're welcome

While your digital drawings are magical as well, I have to say I really prefer what you do with traditional media. Hope to see more from you!

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midorisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Wow, you really do have quite a talent. I know you've worked hard to craft skills like that, so you deserve all the hard earned praise.

I personally appreciate how you stay loyal to the original game designs (particularly FFVII) versus the updated looks some of the characters have gotten. Vincent and Cloud have gotten much more emo-ish and dark over the years. It all has your style, but I think you get the difference I'm talking about.

I'd be curious to see your style applied to Katsuhito Otomo's or H.R. Giger's character designs. Also more of your own original stuff. Keep up the hard work!

Thank you for your insightful feedback! And yes, it isn't just that mysterious talent but like in all things, you must work hard to become better and better. You won't be "talented" if you just sit around, it's not something you just have and that's that you're awesome. I know that because I stopped drawing for few years, and I had some quite long seasons in my life when I couldn't say I was really intensively drawing, not when compared to the amount I draw now, which is everyday and many hours. I was told I was talented when I was a child, but it of course it was just in small schools and I was the only kid that liked to draw a lot. But, now I know that It just meant that I had potential to become good someday if I would really polish that skill I had in some raw form. I also believe that talent is so many things, being interested in art and colors and visual things, having good visual memory or things like that,. But, It's also a hard work if you look at the time you put in it. The things is, you like it so much that most of the time it doesn't feel like 10 hour work day at all, at least that is my case.

I personally like the original FFVII designs, as they are to me at least, the first ones and portray the characters the best, like they should be. So I try to get some of that atmosphere and 'character aura' to my drawings as well. I'm all happy and honored if I actually could capture even some of that atmosphere in a way that the viewer can sense it too.

I'll see what I can do with your suggested ideas. I like Giger's dark works and eerie faced characters, and Akira is a classic. Jenova from FFVII has some similarities to his (Giger) designs. Really interesting idea, and it would give me a change to experiment with my style . Thank you for you comment, I'll definitely keep working hard!
    Y'know, I hadn't thought about it like that, but a piece that uses an homage of Giger's style to create Jenova might be really interesting. Jenova done in the style of the Xenomorph queen. That could be reeeaaally cool.

Not that I'm trying to brush off your own style, as it's obviously very strong. Just an interesting thought.

Blog Entries

You're welcome

While your digital drawings are magical as well, I have to say I really prefer what you do with traditional media. Hope to see more from you!
    That's interesting, as I've had a thought for some time now that things I like doing traditionally don't show in my digital work as I would like it to show, it lacks the organic aspect I love while drawing with pencil. So I've thought that I want to merge them together and go towards the same feeling I've traditionally with digital painting as well. Took me few years to realize thought, to be more certain of my style and it's direction. Next digital paintings will be more in style of things I do traditionally, and that's intentional change I want to make.

I noticed that drawing digitally started to feel too much "digital" and not that organic, so I want to enjoy drawing digitally as much as I enjoy drawing traditionally and have the same feeling with both. I must have been afraid of what people might say about this new direction I took, so I kept doing things that I no longer felt as enjoyable as I would have if I was doing it just straight from my heart. I realized that I don't really want to try replicating video game graphics 100% and lose the feeling of drawing and painting. We'll see what comes when I try to be more honest to my tastes to digital painting as well and get it more organic. Great that someone agrees with me, it makes the decision to do this experimentation a bit easier .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midorisa View Post
    Wow, you really do have quite a talent. I know you've worked hard to craft skills like that, so you deserve all the hard earned praise.

I personally appreciate how you stay loyal to the original game designs (particularly FFVII) versus the updated looks some of the characters have gotten. Vincent and Cloud have gotten much more emo-ish and dark over the years. It all has your style, but I think you get the difference I'm talking about.

I'd be curious to see your style applied to Katsuhito Otomo's or H.R. Giger's character designs. Also more of your own original stuff. Keep up the hard work!

Thank you for your insightful feedback! And yes, it isn't just that mysterious talent but like in all things, you must work hard to become better and better. You won't be "talented" if you just sit around, it's not something you just have and that's that you're awesome. I know that because I stopped drawing for few years, and I had some quite long seasons in my life when I couldn't say I was really intensively drawing, not when compared to the amount I draw now, which is everyday and many hours. I was told I was talented when I was a child, but it of course it was just in small schools and I was the only kid that liked to draw a lot. But, now I know that It just meant that I had potential to become good someday if I would really polish that skill I had in some raw form. I also believe that talent is so many things, being interested in art and colors and visual things, having good visual memory or things like that,. But, It's also a hard work if you look at the time you put in it. The things is, you like it so much that most of the time it doesn't feel like 10 hour work day at all, at least that is my case.

I personally like the original FFVII designs, as they are to me at least, the first ones and portray the characters the best, like they should be. So I try to get some of that atmosphere and 'character aura' to my drawings as well. I'm all happy and honored if I actually could capture even some of that atmosphere in a way that the viewer can sense it too.

I'll see what I can do with your suggested ideas. I like Giger's dark works and eerie faced characters, and Akira is a classic. Jenova from FFVII has some similarities to his (Giger) designs. Really interesting idea, and it would give me a change to experiment with my style . Thank you for you comment, I'll definitely keep working hard!
    Y'know, I hadn't thought about it like that, but a piece that uses an homage of Giger's style to create Jenova might be really interesting. Jenova done in the style of the Xenomorph queen. That could be reeeaaally cool.

Not that I'm trying to brush off your own style, as it's obviously very strong. Just an interesting thought.

That's surely is inspiring thought. I've wanted to paint Jenova for a long time properly. And you can learn from doing a bit different styles a lot, they can make yours even better so there's no harm in experimenting with those.

Blog Entries

Default Update

When I was very little, my parent often told me that I should never go near the river bank on my own when playing outside. They told that in the river there lived a monster that lured people into water and then ate them. I was so afraid of that monster and never went near the river on my own, and that was quite common way to prevent children from drowning and not swimming too deep. I was afraid that if my legs wouldn't reach to the bottom anymore, Näkki would pull me under the water surface.

The monster they told me about is known in many cultures, but with different names. In Finland, the monster living in rivers and lakes is called Näkki, and it could take either female or male form, depending of who it was trying to lure into water with it's beauty and singing and playing. It's similar creature to sirens, mermaids and the like.

It's said that it could also be guardian of wells and bridges that reached over rivers. It's true from varies from being portrayed as a giant mass of water plants and moss or a frog/lizard like creature. It was also said that you could drive Näkki away by throwing a rock into the water, because it would cause a strong kinahmi water whirl ( or kurimus). Inside kurimus lived a great dragon that Näkki was afraid of.

the_beautiful_beast_by_midorisa-d95eabw.jpg

I wanted to draw him with his unfortunate victims. Anyways, thank you for looking!
    Last edited by Midorisa; 08-12-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Update

Just some quick painting practice, with a similar plant and nature theme I've had in my sketches. To get me past the little art slump I've experienced some days now, and get going again. I try to 'loosen up' my painting and shift a bit more organic and flowing. Lets see if I can do better with next ones .

wisdom_inside_by_midorisa-d95wldf.jpg

Thank you for being interested!
    Last edited by Midorisa; 08-17-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

That's a cool story behind the first piece. Both of these look great! Good luck with the slump.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Looks amazing, as usual

And the difference is noticeable. This one is much more similar to your traditional work. I like it a lot!

Blog Entries

That's a cool story behind the first piece. Both of these look great! Good luck with the slump.
    Thank you for you feedback! I'll do my best, usually it's just a sign that I need to alter something in the way I'm working. So it's core purpose is positive .

Blog Entries

Looks amazing, as usual

And the difference is noticeable. This one is much more similar to your traditional work. I like it a lot!
    Thank you very much! I'll keep experimenting with my style .

Articles
    Blog Entries

I do find it hilarious how your 'practice' work still looks incredible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I do find it hilarious how your 'practice' work still looks incredible.
    Thank you! Of course there went time to this as well, but I thought it more like style practice work and chose fairly simple composition. And well, in one sense all I do is practice work, as I'm learning and teaching myself all the time with my paintings

Blog Entries

Default Update - Original character -

This time it's more original stuff. I wanted to paint with complimentary colors and practice more with my style and try to keep it more organic . I had an idea of a character that had some mechanical body parts mixed with organic shapes inspired by insects.

rust_by_midorisa-d98mc8b.jpg

I wanted to relax but also do something different. I wanted to try and get a bit cinematic feeling to this. I always find I interesting and also important imagining the characters as living beings, moving and breathing. Sometimes you can have this feeling that the character itself is telling you how it must look. Or then I'm just spending a way too much time painting, staring painted characters and thinking those as my imaginary friends and.. yeah . Just kidding.

Okay but seriously talking, thank you for the inspiring feedback this far and being interested!
    Last edited by Midorisa; 04-13-2016 at 09:59 PM.