Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Midorisa's art thread

Wow that's so amazing Midorisa! I seriously thought it was a screenshot from the game!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndis Highwind View Post
    Wow that's so amazing Midorisa! I seriously thought it was a screenshot from the game!
    Thank you so much Lyndis! Your words truly warm my heart, as sticking close to the original art style was my intention. Happy that I got it close! ^^

Blog Entries

Default Black Butler - Undertaker fanart

Uploading new art after silence, I've been busy with my life as I've moved to another town and into new apartment as well. I'm going to start my art studies here this coming autumn ^^.

Anyhow, long ago one of my followers on DA suggested for me to draw Undertaker from kurotroutsuji/black butler.
    Because I like white-haired characters and his design, I decided to give it a go and finish the old sketch that I had started ages ago. I also spent quite much time on the gothic window showing in the background, I can't believe it myself heh.

Programs: SAI (main painting) Photoshop (after effects and adjustments)
    Thanks for looking! ^^

kurotroutsuji___undertaker_by_midorisa-dbfgupy.jpg

Blog Entries

Default Big digital art update

Hi! it has been awhile since I last posted artwork here, as I've been busy with personal life stuff.
    I just wanted to update all the work I've been painting since then, so here it goes.
    First and the oldest is a fanart of San from the mononoke movie.

mononoke_hime_by_midorisa-dbicz2r.jpg

Second is the last element for the element series, fire. I had already started my studies
    at the university while painting this, so it was really challenging to find energy and time to
    paint as much as I would have liked to. Happy I got to finish the series though!

elements___ignis_by_midorisa-dblaedl.jpg

The last one is the first part of the new original series I decided to start after finishing the elements series.
    I picked seasons to be the theme for this, and portray those through male portraits for a change. This is the autumn one.
    It will be a challenge to paint the seasons often associated with much brighter and lighter color themes I think, but that is
    one of the reasons why I didn't want to take the "easy" road and do it with females all over again. Let see how it goes ^^
    I also got a lot of comments that the character looked a lot/ a bit like Squall from the FFVIII game. I certainly see where
    those comments are coming from. I tried to paint a character with shorter hair style as I haven't done those with males.
    I need to improve my skill coming up with different hair styles for males, and overall clothing design as well.

autumn_by_midorisa-dbol11j.jpg

On a side note related to the FF games, I've started painting FFVII character portraits and I would like to do all of them, sort of as a homage to
    the game. So there will be FF fanart updates coming as well as soon as I finish them ^^.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Great to see more work from you again, Midorisa! Stunning as always! The fire one actually reminds me a bit of Triss from the Witcher series!

Also, can't wait for the FF fanart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Great to see more work from you again, Midorisa! Stunning as always! The fire one actually reminds me a bit of Triss from the Witcher series!

Also, can't wait for the FF fanart

Thanks Fynn! I actually had some problems with the fire painting, as I started to become too red, so I added greenish complementary colors. As those are often used in art by so many artists, it's not surprising an existing character had them in their design as well. I do see your point though, it's hard to be completely original in art ^^'. Her hair was blonde at one stage and spiky as well, but I decided it had to go as I didn't like the style on this character.

I though I would do the FF portraits in the style of the game, and almost use the same face angles as well. I have had this idea a long time, but I never started it as I felt my skills weren't polished enough. Still not sure if I am able to make justice to the characters that they deserve, but I will sure try my best.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, don't get me wrong - I never intended to say that it reminding me of the character makes it unoriginal, far from it! It's still a very nice picture and the similarity actually made it resonate for me more, even though I knew any association I had between those two images was probably completely arbitrary

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I never intended to say that it reminding me of the character makes it unoriginal, far from it! It's still a very nice picture and the similarity actually made it resonate for me more, even though I knew any association I had between those two images was probably completely arbitrary

Oh I see, I did try to come up with a design that I hadn't seen myself ^^. The originality stuff is just something that I try to develop, as it sometimes feels
    like everything has been done and you can't be that original. When I got the squall comments, I took that as a constructive feedback that I need to widen my style and character design abilities. It's not good when stuff that inspires you shows too well in your own art, then you're just 'watered down' version of that style really.

Blog Entries

Default Art update : Aerith from FFVII (and original art)

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to update this thread with some art I haven't shown here. These are some months old already,
    but I have had so much stuff demanding my time that I forgot to post these
    This one I painted for Halloween last year, (not completely satisfied with it, as I was so tired keeping up with my studies and trying to
    keep drawing at the same time, but I still kept drawing and that's the main thing)

witch_mask_by_midorisa-dbrypmj.jpg

As I had long holidays I was able to finish this Aerith painting during Xmas. Her hairstyle is flipped on purpose,
    as I somewhat felt that I liked her gazing to the right side rather than to the left. I wanted to paint her surrounded
    by flowers. I also tried to be quite faithful to the original art style of the game.

ffvii___aerith_gainsborough_by_midorisa-dby84nv.jpg

That's it for now

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Those are so impressive! What's the first about? It kinda looks like a dark Yuna to me or something. Great job with the colouring too.

Str8 Pimpin'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    Those are so impressive! What's the first about? It kinda looks like a dark Yuna to me or something. Great job with the colouring too.
    Thanks! The first one is original work, I forgot to write the description for it. The character is my own, she is a sorceress. As a special power, she can boost her spells with blood ( her own or her opponents). She doesn't have a name yet, but maybe I will come up with one as I draw her more. With this illustration, I wanted to do something with a slightly creepy atmosphere.

Blog Entries

I love your style. It's very three-dimensional and solid/tangible feeling. I've tried drawing stuff in that sort of (solid/detailed/well-shaded) style before and I always fall flat...

Blog Entries

Thank you so much, happy you like my stuff! I'm still very much learning myself, but I can share some tips that help me when I paint. I try to think everything in 3d form and a good tip is to think you're sculpting the forms as you paint them. And of course looking at photographs and real world (such as lighting) is important, and you can also learn a lot by looking at other artists work and how they paint things and light. But yeah, the only option is just to practice, and 'failure' is a core part of that process and learning. You learn the most when you fail, and well I've failed many many times and will continue to "fail" in the future as well. Art and painting often feels like a problem solving and trial and error process for me as well. I think it is just important to keep going and just draw, if that's what you love to do .
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Magic Shopkeeper View Post
    I love your style. It's very three-dimensional and solid/tangible feeling. I've tried drawing stuff in that sort of (solid/detailed/well-shaded) style before and I always fall flat...

Blog Entries

Default Fanart update - Beatrix from FFIX

Hello, I'm back again with some new fanart ^^.
    I started to play Final fantasy IX again some months ago during holidays. Got really really inspired again and so I started this
    painting as I played, a fanart of general Beatrix. I wanted to paint her in garden, inspired by the garden/sematary area in Alexandria. I listened to her theme "rose of may"
    a lot while I was painting this, so I added roses to fit the theme and also to compliment the colors in her design/clothing.

Hope you guys like it, I took some artistic liberties while painting her swords handle and the decorations of her belt, but overall I
    tried to stick close to the originals stylized art style .
    beatrix___rose_of_may_by_midorisa-dc5vhh9.jpg

Blog Entries

Default More original art

Just some original art again, she is a moon elf and she often wanders the woods and fields during the night, as the moonlight is the source for her magic powers. I wanted to try to portray the magical shimmer and glow in her hair

moon_elf_by_midorisa-dc9pffb.jpg