Thread: Why The Dark Knight Rises was disappointing, to me at least...

Default Why The Dark Knight Rises was disappointing, to me at least...

You see, The Dark Knight actually set a couple of things up for the sequel, which The Dark Knight Rises never followed through on. And that is, the mobsters were on their way out and they were going to be replaced by freaks like The Joker, a new class of criminal if you will, but that didn't happen in the sequel. Also, in The Dark Knight, Harvey Dent says, "One day, the Batman will have to answer for the laws he's broken; but to us, not to this madman."

So, I was hoping that Batman would have to answer for the laws he's broken, in The Dark Knight Rises, but that didn't happen either. Anyway that's my two cents. Nevermind the fact that Bruce Wayne was wallowing away in self-pity for eight years and it took Catwoman stealing his mother's pearl necklace to get him to come out of retirement, nevermind the fact that comic book fans are saying "Batman doesn't quit," I was mad and still am mad that Dark Knight Rises never followed through on the two things that I've told you about.

I thought it was a step in the right direction. I think following the "freaks" angle would have been difficult following Heath Ledger and his untimely death. I can't imagine another remotely goofy villain being successful, especially in a series of movies that was darker than other batman treatments. It would also be pretty bad to have a more well-known villain with goofy tendencies like The Riddler, who would be compared to the Joker instantly.

I agree that Batman should have been scrutinized more in Rises, but maybe this disappearance at the beginning of the film was a part of addressing that. His guilt was likely a big part of the reason he went recluse.

I also really liked Bane, the twist (if you can call it that) at the end was kinda lame and felt rushed, and I wish they had done more with Bane.