Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round burger patties

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just as an aside, you're all glossing over the fact that a larger burger patty means you're much more likely to get a perfectly cooked, juicy center of the meat. There is nothing in this world as gross as dry, crumbly, overcooked burger mince.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

There is nothing in this world as gross as dry, crumbly, overcooked burger mince.
    You can incorrectly cook anything, including a round burger patty. That doesn't excuse "gourmet" burgers, it just shows that they don't know how to cook a good flat burger patty right. If it's gourmet, it should have a good shape and good taste. Although as always, "perfectly cooked" will be subjective to some extent.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    There is nothing in this world as gross as dry, crumbly, overcooked burger mince.
    You can incorrectly cook anything, including a round burger patty. That doesn't excuse "gourmet" burgers, it just shows that they don't know how to cook a good flat burger patty right. If it's gourmet, it should have a good shape and good taste. Although as always, "perfectly cooked" will be subjective to some extent.
    There's nothing to excuse. If the mince is good quality, well seasoned and cooked correctly then why wouldn't you want more of it?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Well, look at it this way.

You can cook tagliatelle pasta perfectly and then you can press it together to the point that you have a big round ball of pasta in which sauce can not penetrate, and the sauce can be cooked to perfection too, and you can serve it with a ball in a bowl of sauce and say that everything is perfect.

Or, you can not press the pasta together, and have the sauce dispersed amongst the pasta nice and evenly.

Now, both will technically taste the same, but the preparation of one leads to a considerably more enjoyable and evenly flavoured meal.

You could argue "Ah, but it's better to have the ball than to have undercooked pasta!" and I will just because maybe if you just cook it and prepare it properly then you won't have to worry about undercooked pasta or poorly prepared pasta.

I suppose you can probably get some foolish people to favour the ball variation by labelling it "gourmet", though.

So yeah, I'd eat the pasta ball via cutting it up and dipping the pasta into the sauce, but I'd much prefer it was good from the start. Likewise, I'll eat these burgers, but would it kill the supposedly gourmet chef to not just cook the patties a little flatter, so that I can better enjoy the meal? It's not tricky. There's a reason when you have a meatball sandwich that it has multiple smaller meatballs rather than one big fat one.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That is the worst thing I've ever read in my life. I don't even know where to begin BoB, Jesus christ.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Cheers for the constructive post.

The more I read about how a good burger patty should be cooked, the more I find that I'm pretty much on the money. What someone said earlier about warping of burgers and air pockets and all that... dead on. It doesn't help the juiciness of the meat either, apparently.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Comparing the cooking of pasta to the cooking of burgers is comparing apples and kittens. The two have absolutely nothing to do with one another and are prepared extremely separately with a massive variation on the acceptance of thorough cooking. Pasta is unacceptable to not be cooked all the way. Burgers have a scale on how they can be cooked.

I don't even know how you came up with that comparison and it makes zero sense.
    Last edited by Shorty; 02-27-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Are pasta balls a thing?

Gourmet food is intended for food snobs. It's purpose is to look nice, and have lots of "depth" that they can talk about with big fancy words. Complex flavor is nice, and far more important than good flavor.

The round burger is horrible.

It is harder to eat, since it can't actually be a sandwich, being too big for the mouth. It's also prevents you from layering things on top of it, since it doesn't have a flat surface to support another layer (or the bun) well.

It's also harder to cook, since it is much thicker, and thus heat takes longer to penetrate it. So the outside is likely to be overdone by the time the inside is properly cooked. It's impossible to properly apply a sauce to (yes, you can cook a sauce into the burger, but that changes the sauce's flavor, the burger's texture, and how well the burger holds together), since the surface area to which you can apply the sauce is far smaller than on a flat patty of similar volume.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Complex flavor is nice, and far more important than good flavor.
    Complex and good are not mutually exclusive, so I don't know what you're trying to say here. Just because you don't enjoy breaking down different elements that have gone into a dish (or wine/beer/film/videogame/anything) doesn't mean that it is less than a burger from McDonald's that will taste the same every time and provides instant gratification with taste.

@BoB, that comparison made no sense... What we're talking about is the difference between spaghetti and tagliatelle, not pasta that has been warped into some new dish. One is a matter of preference, or possibly tolerance for some people, the other could universally be described as strange. Also, because you've used the word ball a few times in this thread let's clear this up, never have I had, nor do I even understand how you could cook, a ball shaped hamburger pattie. Every burger I've had is still essentially flat, but some will swell much more in the middle. If you're using ball in the literal sense (which I would assume you are because you compared these burgers to meatball subs) then you have just hands down had a terrible burger.

The Old Skool Warrior LocoColt04's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Crysanthe Mariveaux (Ultros)

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    And now I want Checkers. A baconzilla burger.
    I haven't even THOUGHT about Checkers in years. Holy crap. Want.

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    It doesn't taste good when there's too much meat
    <insert expected "that's what she said" joke>

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    It's also harder to cook, since it is much thicker, and thus heat takes longer to penetrate it. So the outside is likely to be overdone by the time the inside is properly cooked.
    This has always been my biggest issue with these things.

Blog Entries

There's one across the street from me! Come over! Their fries are so smurfing bomb omg.

I really miss A&W & Steak N Shake though. Steak N Shake fries > McDonald's ALL DAY LONG. smurf what you heard.

I honestly don't think I've had a "gourmet" burger though unless you count the crunchy campfire burger from LongHorn (It's got bacon, bbq sauce, cheddar, and house made potato chips on it), but I don't really count LongHorn a gourmet place.

Shake Shack was really yummy too tho.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Right. Get this. Round burger patty in a bun. Squish it down and the juices run into the bun.

Juicy wonder burger, instead of "ooh, dry bread but YUMMY MEAT" burgers.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Quinothy P. Buttflakes View Post
    Right. Get this. Round burger patty in a bun. Squish it down and the juices run into the bun.

Juicy wonder burger, instead of "ooh, dry bread but YUMMY MEAT" burgers.
    Yes but then you run the risk of too much juice going into the bread and then you'll have... wet bread.

As we all know, wet bread is the most disgusting substance on the planet after marmite.

Blog Entries

I saw a burg joint on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives (a Guy Fieri show) that makes..

A butter burger.

Sounds so gross but looks so yummy. Lol