• White and Gold

15 48.39%
  • Blue and Black

16 51.61%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Dress

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    But cones and rods have to do with how your brain processes information... They're connected.
    Yes they do, but he was saying it's not a malfunction in your cones and rods but in your brain that makes the dress not be seen int he correct colors.

It got me to wondering if the people who see it as blue/white and gold maybe are more likely to have suffered a head injury at some point in their lives?

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    But cones and rods have to do with how your brain processes information... They're connected.
    Yes they do, but he was saying it's not a malfunction in your cones and rods but in your brain that makes the dress not be seen int he correct colors.

It got me to wondering if the people who see it as blue/white and gold maybe are more likely to have suffered a head injury at some point in their lives?
    ...considering something like 70% of people see it as white and gold, I'm going to guess head injury is not a likely explanation.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The last poll I looked at showed 25% of people seeing it as white and gold. And I don't recall anyone out of my friends seeing it as white and gold, so I think you've reversed it.

Well 70 might be high, I'll admit. But our forum poll currently sits at 52% white-and-gold, and this data collected by a redditor also shows w&g favored over b&b:

h64kNtW.png

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

You're all wrong. The correct answer is:

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This made me so angry when I encountered it, because there is nothing I could do to understand how it is at all possible to see white and gold. Shlup has solved that issue, and now I just see rainbows and flowers and shall focus on the memes, like Raistlin.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

"This dress is a horcrux." Wonderful.

It doesn't matter what I do to the brightness of the photo, how many times I look at it, how I think about the colors, whatever. I always see it as light blue and gold.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I haven't seen the image change no matter how often I look at it (other than brighter/darker, but that's the screen rather than the image itself). I see the colours as they are defined in any "let's get this colour from this pixel on this image and make it massive" picture. But then, I spend a lot of my time looking at images on the internet which are designed to have "non-standard" lighting and colouring. In the real world, I have no trouble telling colours apart, but on a pixel image on a flat screen? I see what is there... my brain doesn't seem to add any brightness to make it a genuine white colour, nor does it add any darkness to see the black. I see that same old muddy goldish colour and a silverish light blue colour alongside it. I certainly see nothing similar to what the real dress looks like in any normal image of it I've found on the internet, not even close.

So now I'm wondering if people who spend a lot of time looking at "unreal" (art, photomanipulation, or whatever) pixelated images see this the same as me... I'm wondering if people who are used to seeing colours "as they are" on computers are happy to stick with them.

Also, I'm genuinely tempted to make a forums style using those colours, but I'm very lazy regarding all the work vB forces you to do for such a thing these days so eh.

EDIT: Also, I was watching that video Fox posted and when he was all "NO ONE sees it as the colour it actually is!" at around 1:30 and I was all "...I see those colours. What is wrong (or right?) with me!?"

EDITRA: Oh my god I got so excited for a second when I saw it as black and blue and then I realised it wasn't the same pic and had a comment of "what the dress looks like in the shops" and I was like "...oh. ._."
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's blue and black. The yellowish light source in the room creates a goldish color in the blacks. It only looks white and gold if your head for some reason assumes the lighting in the room is blue, for whatever reason.

I initially saw it as clearly blue and black, but after a while I could see how some would interpret it as white and gold. My mother said white and gold.
    Last edited by Mirage; 03-04-2015 at 06:51 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    This is the most stupid thing that has ever gone viral.
    agree with ya there. just playing on our mind. maybe if there was 4 options though.....

Articles
    Blog Entries

This explains that TARDIS picture I saw on Facebook the other day.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It's blue and black. The yellowish light source in the room creates a goldish color in the blacks. It only looks white and gold if your head for some reason assumes the lighting in the room is blue, for whatever reason.
    That's not how pixels work, the colours in the actual image are not black or a dark blue.

I think my head just makes no assumptions about colours when dealing with pixelated images.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Specifically, your brain doesn't work right. The entire human sense of sight depends on being able to extrapolate actual colors, based on perceived colors and perceived light.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    That's not how pixels work, the colours in the actual image are not black or a dark blue.

I think my head just makes no assumptions about colours when dealing with pixelated images.
    I know how pixels work. Way to not get the point, bob.

All humans have an automatic white-balance feature. It sometimes gets confused (like when people think the dress is gold and white), but it would be pretty troutty to not have AWB at all.

Considering the dress doesn't exist in white and gold (yet) but does exist in blue and black, it is safe to say that the people who thinks it's white and gold are the ones whose white balance got confused.

Although, I'll admit that we don't have all that much color information to go on in this picture, so it's understandable that some gets it wrong.
    Last edited by Mirage; 03-05-2015 at 01:32 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?