Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does everyone think Luna is Stella?

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Stella is an awful name anyway. Sounds like someone you would speak to in your payroll department.
    I agree the name Stella is kind of plain but it has obvious importance, and at least Stella is an actual name. For a "fantasy based on reality," the names Noctis, Ignis, and Gladiolus, (I think Prompto would be a cool nickname!) are easily ten-smurfing-thousand times dumber. But so far I think all of the main characters' names have some story-based importance, or it gives you an idea of what their personalities will be like.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

I'm almost positive Luna and Stella are two different people (unless, by some chance, Stella goes by Luna when she's undercover or something ala Garnet/Dagger)

1. If she was renamed, it would be a lot less controversial for them to just tell everyone instead of letting speculation run rampant.
    2. Every time anyone in the development team is asked about her they always laugh and tell us to please wait a little longer.
    3. This recent exchange on FFXV Lead Designer Wan Hazmer's blog:
    7bedda-1423515139.jpg

The appeal of a given name is pretty subjective though, and maybe it depends on what culture you're from I guess. 'Stella' in Latin means star, so it's a pretty nice name in that context, and given that a lot of FF characters are named after sky/astronomy based terms, I think it fits well within the overall FF universe.

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

So after my time with the demo I'd say it's safe to say that Luna IS Stella. It was simply a name change.

Unless they were both at the same place when the city was attacked, they both barely made it out of there, both of there middle names are Nox and (SPOILER)only one of them was mentioned on the radio after the attack for some reason (which would be odd if they were sisters)
    Last edited by Tyson; 03-21-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    So after my time with the demo I'd say it's safe to say that Luna IS Stella. It was simply a name change.

Unless they were both at the same place when the city was attacked, they both barely made it out of there, both of there middle names are Nox and (SPOILER)only one of them was mentioned on the radio after the attack for some reason (which would be odd if they were sisters)
    I don't think anything we say in the demo contradicts the 'They are sisters' hypothesis. (SPOILER)Sisters will share names. They're from Tenebrae, not Lucis, so it makes perfect sense that only one of them was there, the other is still safe at home.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post

I don't think anything we say in the demo contradicts the 'They are sisters' hypothesis. (SPOILER)Sisters will share names. They're from Tenebrae, not Lucis, so it makes perfect sense that only one of them was there, the other is still safe at home.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The "sisters" hypothesis is silly, Duscae made it obvious they're the same person. I don't know why people are so precious about Stella, a character we have seen what, two minutes of footage of, if that, in trailers? And she's still in the game! They changed her name, that's all!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because a lot of hype has been built around Stella and there was no mention of the name being changed. Once Luna showed up in the trailer, it'd be simple to just say "Yes, that it Stella. Her name is Luna now."

I'm sorry. I have not played the demo, so I don't know. But I have seen that ending cutscene on Youtube. I'm not saying Stella is not Luna, but that video is no proof that they are the same person. Neither is the fact that Stella wasn't mentioned even once in the demo.

All this "no comment" business like mentioned here is really confusing, so it's really no wonder people are discussing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    The "sisters" hypothesis is silly, Duscae made it obvious they're the same person. I don't know why people are so precious about Stella, a character we have seen what, two minutes of footage of, if that, in trailers? And she's still in the game! They changed her name, that's all!
    I don't see how Duscae made it 'obvious' at all, as I said what we found doesn't contradict the sisters idea in the slightest. The thing that makes it most likely that Luna/Stella are the same person is the fact they look nearly identical if you compare the E3 2013 and TGS 2014 trailers. Operative word there though is 'nearly' - they do seem to be two slightly different designs.

I agree it's silly to be precious, I don't know why I am, yet here we are. Do you have any idea how long it took me to accept 'Aeris' was actually 'Aerith'? This is a much more significant change!

It just seems really odd to change a character's name like that so substantially. Maybe I just prefer the idea of there being two interesting characters for the price of one? Who knows. I think it's more the confusion that bugs me, if Tabata came out and said "Yeah we changed her name she's Lunafreya now" then I could just say "OK fair enough I liked the name Stella but whatever" and start getting used to it. But no, he actually just said "oooh well you'll just have to wait and see!" so of course​ I'm going to speculate wildly!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Wouldn't be surprised either way. Allegedly (can't verify at the mo') Stella has a sun on her neck and Luna has a moon on hers, so either they just changed the mark on their neck because of the name change or else they could be sisters, could be the same person (that "changes" between two characters), could be some kind of special person of some other kind, dunno. I hope they are both in but again, wouldn't be surprised if that won't end up being the case.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I also hope it's sisters just so we can get some kind of Shakespeare level love triangle going on. Noctis, crown Prince of Lucius, arranged to be wed to the prominent noblewoman Lunafreya Nox Fleuret of Tenebrae. Noctis, however, longs for the affections of Lunafreya's sister Stella, who for unknown reasons has become an agent of Niflheim - the nation that laid waste to Noctis's home.

Whether it be in game or in fanfic this is gonna happen one way or another

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My guess is Stella is in the game, but there must be a reason why no one is allowed to talk about her.

Perhaps due to the... events mentioned in the ending, Luna takes up the name Stella as an alter ego? I would still rather they were sisters, but I can smell a twist coming, considering they're all so hush hush about it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I imagine the lack of discussion has to do with it just being some sort of significant plot point. The possibility is there for Luna and Stella to be the same person, but the name change happens because of a significant event in the character's life.Luna could be the friend of Noctis, but events lead to her becoming Stella, more of an antagonist (I'm fuzzy on it all, but I feel like Stella was kind of seen in a confusing "could be a friend, but is also an enemy" kind of role).

They could be sisters and have something similar going on to Basch and his brother.

It could be that Luna/Stella has multiple personalities for all we know.

I kind of am getting the feeling that they are the same person, but I don't care either way. I do think the name Stella is still going to be present and there will be some twist/important reason for the two names. We won't really know until the game comes out, probably.

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I don't see how Duscae made it 'obvious' at all, as I said what we found doesn't contradict the sisters idea in the slightest. The thing that makes it most likely that Luna/Stella are the same person is the fact they look nearly identical if you compare the E3 2013 and TGS 2014 trailers. Operative word there though is 'nearly' - they do seem to be two slightly different designs.

I agree it's silly to be precious, I don't know why I am, yet here we are. Do you have any idea how long it took me to accept 'Aeris' was actually 'Aerith'? This is a much more significant change!

It just seems really odd to change a character's name like that so substantially. Maybe I just prefer the idea of there being two interesting characters for the price of one? Who knows. I think it's more the confusion that bugs me, if Tabata came out and said "Yeah we changed her name she's Lunafreya now" then I could just say "OK fair enough I liked the name Stella but whatever" and start getting used to it. But no, he actually just said "oooh well you'll just have to wait and see!" so of course​ I'm going to speculate wildly!
    But there is absolutely no evidence that a second character named Stella exists. Stella was the female character in the original trailers that Noctis met at the party during the signing ceremony. Which then gets attacked by the militia. The demo and the latest trailers makes it pretty obvious that, Luna is now that character. There is absolutely no basis for another character to exist.

I agree tho, having a love triangle would be kind of interesting! Don't think it's likely at this point tho.
    Last edited by Tyson; 03-22-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know this won't happen, but I would love a split personality Luna/Stella. I love those characters