Thread: Do you mind owning books with wear, tear, or markings?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Do you mind owning books with wear, tear, or markings?

Are you disappointed if you buy a used book online and when it comes in the mail there's pen scratched on the cover? Or if a page is slightly torn?

I can understand being frustrated if a page is missing. You're not getting a full product. But if you can still read everything fine, is it really that bad? I know some people take special care not to scuff or ding any books and make sure to buy them with as little wear as possible. It makes them more appealing cosmetically, and depending on what the damage is it could effect their durability.

I've noticed I have this weird thing with used books where I treat them like an orphaned puppy. Almost like "Well, I'm taking it in, it's going to a good home. At least I'll take care of it and it's not collecting dust somewhere".

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

No, I don't care at all! I read library books, and they go through the ringer.

I do prefer to own hardcover because I bend books back at an awkward way, and I usually rip the cover off after the third reading or so. I hate hardcover book jackets, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I prefer hardcover when given the option. I read a lot of manga though, so I'd say most of my favorites are in paperback just because that's the only way they're sold.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah. All of my treasured and collectible books are pre-owned. I just bought a fantastically gorgeous used copy of Dracula (to grow my collection!) that I am super excited for. Used books are often times several dollars or tens of dollars cheaper and if you're buying used, you know what you're getting into and should expect wear and tear.

Used books are neat because you can see when they've been loved. I love browsing through thrift store bookshelves and find names or notes or inscriptions or highlights or gift messages inside. My copy of Invisible Monsters signed by Chuck Palahniuk was addressed to someone else but I still treasure it.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, used and well worn (well loved) books are better than new booms. They smell bookier.

Signature by rubah. I think.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mmm, used books. I need that book smell. I don't like when people write on the pages though especially if it is over the actual text of the book.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    No, used and well worn (well loved) books are better than new booms. They smell bookier.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Mmm, used books. I need that book smell.
    And this.
    That well worn and loved book smell is my favorite ever.

Probably 70-80% of my book collection are used books. I don't take especial care of my books to ensure they look perfect. My ex wife did that and I actually found it kind of bothersome. I feel like you aren't loving the book properly if you baby it. But I don't tear them up or write in them either. I don't dog ear pages either. I prefer to simply remember my page number or use a makeshift bookmark.

I really, really dislike hardcover books. I don't like the covers, and I don't like the fact that they can't bend. If it doesn't bend, how is it going to conform to the shape of my butt while it is in my back pocket?

Also, browsing through a used book store is my favorite activity. It might actually be better than reading. Being able to handle and smell all the books is the best. I especially love small bookshops that are all crowded and overflowing with books.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think I'm the only bibliophile I know who hates the smell of old books. I don't the smell of must and mold, and that's all it is. xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

yeah but how you gonna get hipster cred if you dont like old book stank

you aint is how

I don't mind owning worn books but only if I was the first one to wear it!

Mmm, used books. I need that book smell. I don't like when people write on the pages though especially if it is over the actual text of the book.
    Yeah, any kind of underlining, highlighting, or note-taking in a novel makes it pretty much unreadable for me. Some people claim to like that kind of thing, but I don't care what some random smurf thought was important or worthy of extra attention, and it distracts me from the actual text.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Well I hate to come into this thread and be the combo breaker but I LOVE the way new books smell and HATE the way old books smell. Something about that musty old smell is just really offputting to me.

New books all the way, sorry guys.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As long as it is readable, I don't mind of the cover and everything is a bit worn. I don't like having writing in my books and will refuse to write in books myself in general. There have been exceptions from very specific people who I borrowed books from in college who always had brilliant thoughts that they wrote down in the book. It usually made the stories or whatever a lot more interesting.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like new book smell too, but I am also a giant weirdo that likes the smell of gasoline and new sneakers. I also prefer hardcovers if I can get them because I tend to bend a book when I get really in to it. You can tell how much I liked a book if the cover is all desecrated.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like new book smell too, but I am also a giant weirdo that likes the smell of gasoline and new sneakers.
    Those things are all wonderful smells.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well