Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 things all Final Fantasy fans should know about Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

I got hold of a copy yesterday and it's pretty great so far. (SPOILER)Don't worry about the six hours in-game time - in between missions you get a set amount of hours of 'free time' with which you can run around talking to people/buying items and equipment/completing smaller missions and other stuff. Every time you complete something it uses up two hours of your free time so Chocobo breeding shouldn't really take too long.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Perducci View Post
    I got hold of a copy yesterday and it's pretty great so far.
    H-How

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    I got hold of a copy yesterday and it's pretty great so far.
    H-How
    I work in a video game store and we got our delivery a week early. FFXV demo code will be unusable until next week, though.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I got hold of a copy yesterday and it's pretty great so far. (SPOILER)Don't worry about the six hours in-game time - in between missions you get a set amount of hours of 'free time' with which you can run around talking to people/buying items and equipment/completing smaller missions and other stuff. Every time you complete something it uses up two hours of your free time so Chocobo breeding shouldn't really take too long.
    So lucky.

Also I read your spoiler when I quoted you (luckily it's not a spoiler at all xD) so note to self: don't quote posts with spoiler tags. I like the sound of whatever it was you were talking about, which I won't say incase of spoiling the non-spoiling spoiler.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Ah, I'm pretty excited for this! I pre ordered it so hopefully I can dive right on in after I drool over how nice the box art looks. I hope this soundtrack is one to make me cry! Breeding chocobos should be fun, I just wonder to what extent the stats will vary.
    "And if all the world is but a song of swords and spells then where on the threads of fate must we lie?"

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    It has a fantastic soundtrack
    Takeharu Ishimoto was brought on board to compose the original soundtrack for FF Type-0, and he has previously worked on other Square-Enix titles such as Crisis Core and The World Ends With You.
    No.

It literately has one theme. The soundtrack is literately Variations on a Theme of Type-0. The vocal tracks are practically a joke.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    It has a fantastic soundtrack
    Takeharu Ishimoto was brought on board to compose the original soundtrack for FF Type-0, and he has previously worked on other Square-Enix titles such as Crisis Core and The World Ends With You.
    No.

It literately has one theme. The soundtrack is literately Variations on a Theme of Type-0. The vocal tracks are practically a joke.
    Just because the soundtrack mostly comprises of variations on a track doesn't make it bad. In fact, it makes it more thematically cohesive. Hamauzu does that a lot and it was used to great effect in FFXIII, regardless of the game's actual quality.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Disagreed Leigh, soundtrack has a buttload of variety and I like a lot of the songs on it.

FFXIV Character

Well we will agree to disagree then! I personally found XIII a pretty bland affair, as the thematic cohesiveness struggles to translate to a medium that you spent some 50 hours within. Then again, the joys of melody seem to have been substituted in favour of a seamless transision in musical ambience amongst modern composers.

There may be nothing wrong with the way it is presented in the game, but I will never understand why someone would buy the soundtrack to listen standalone. There seems to be a great push for minimalism in soundtracks these days, in a desperate attempt to emulate their cousin; the motion picture, which started the whole trend with the Hans Zimmerfication of every single soundtrack.

Oh well. I cannot comment on modern music, I don't listen to anything post year 2001! Haha

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Well we will agree to disagree then! I personally found XIII a pretty bland affair, as the thematic cohesiveness struggles to translate to a medium that you spent some 50 hours within. Then again, the joys of melody seem to have been substituted in favour of a seamless transision in musical ambience amongst modern composers.

There may be nothing wrong with the way it is presented in the game, but I will never understand why someone would buy the soundtrack to listen standalone. There seems to be a great push for minimalism in soundtracks these days, in a desperate attempt to emulate their cousin; the motion picture, which started the whole trend with the Hans Zimmerfication of every single soundtrack.

Oh well. I cannot comment on modern music, I don't listen to anything post year 2001! Haha
    Hey, I keep listening to the XIII soundtrack. I love Hamauzu's impressionistic flavor.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Hey, I keep listening to the XIII soundtrack. I love Hamauzu's impressionistic flavor.
    There's no Yoda's Theme though.

If people like it, then all is cool if it works for them. For me, though, it feels like Track 1 is reasonably interesting, and you're waiting for the next exciting tune, only to be presented with 60 repeat cycles of Cleyra's Trunk.

I jest of course, but I just don't find the music memorable. The problem is the structuring of modern soundtracks. It's incredibly well layered, I can't say they are 'bad' or untalented conposers, but in balancing out harmony and rhytmn, they seem to underdevelop the punchline, an actual exciting and interesting melody.

I just played a couple hours of it and there was quite a variety of music, it didn't all sound like different renditions of the same tune. But maybe it gets more prevalent later in the game? Otherwise I'm not sure where that allegation stems from

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I just played a couple hours of it and there was quite a variety of music, it didn't all sound like different renditions of the same tune. But maybe it gets more prevalent later in the game? Otherwise I'm not sure where that allegation stems from
    I haven't had the chance to play the game, so my accusations are mainly based on just listening to the soundtrack as music for the sake of music.

I'll try and elaborate a little more on the dynamics of the soundtrack. There are multiple melodies of course. The problem stems from a lack of musical variety. It is awash full of uninspired ostinato and heavy rock-influenced drumming. Everything feels like it needs a vocal line over the top of it.

The tracks that do have a melody of recognisable quality are few and far between. And these are overused in terms unashamedly throughout the track listings.

The Beginning of the End / 我ら来たれり / Warera Kitareri
    Theme reused in : -

- Three Hours That Changed the World
    - Horror of the Abyss
    - Guided Conclusion
    - Arms of Steel
    - White Lightning/Thunder
    - A Day Like Any Other
    - The Heart Boils
    - War: Life of Darkness
    - The Vanishing Soul
    - Human Strength and Weaknesses
    - Divine Fire
    - Vermilion Fire
    - Ending Theme (Type Zero)

It is my understanding that 'Time of Tranquillity / Peaceful Times' is used as the defacto theme for 'every' town? Now since I haven't played the game, perhaps there isn't simply enough variety in location to warrant a multitude of original composition work.

My frustration comes from that, being an ex-PSP title, there is room to be a little more interesting with the soundtrack. The graphical quality isn't rendered in the hyper-realism of flagship consoles. Less focus on having to meet cinematic sound expectations of blending perfectly with the environment. I am aware though that this is 2011/2015. Perhaps there isn't a call for original compositions for every situation anymore.

Maybe I just find him a boring composer, so there may be more tunes than I can cognitively accept, therefore I might just disregard them from my consciousness as being little more than interludes and transitional set pieces to the next variant of "The Beginning of the End / What Becomes Of Us". I might just be living in the past. I just find it boring, no matter how much I listen and try to like it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Let's crack open the FF Wiki for this one.

The "Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII" plays while the party travels on the overworld before the Meteor is summoned, but as the game's main theme, its motif is heard in many instances throughout the story. Its variations are the tracks "Holding My Thoughts into my Heart", which plays when the party leaves Midgar and at Mt. Corel, as well as in several towns; "Steal The Tiny Bronco!", which plays during the sequence at Rocket Town where the party acquires the Tiny Bronco; "On That Day, 5 Years Ago", which plays during the Nibelheim Incident flashback; and the airship theme, "Highwind takes to the Skies". The melody of the main theme is also included in the game's ending theme, "Staff Roll". Bits of the main theme melody also play in the background of "Under the Rotting Pizza", which is the theme of the Midgar Slums, and in "Who... Am I?" that plays during times Cloud questions his identity.

The main theme melody plays late into the "The North Cave" track, that plays in the Whirlwind Maze of the Northern Crater and on the overworld after Meteor has been summoned. The main theme is also part of the ending when "The Planet's Crisis" plays; many themes appear in "The Planet's Crisis" as it plays during the game's final cutscene of the game. The main theme is played twice: first at 1:13, (alongside "Tifa's Theme"), then at 5:00, with a quiet piano while the characters talk.
    Reusing/sampling a main theme is absolutely fine.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Luckily I prefer Final Fantasy VIII soundtrack! ^_^

And there are lot more themes I can hum from Final Fantasy VII that aren't related to the Overworld Theme! Which I doubt will be the case with Type-0.

Different strokes for different folks I guess!