Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convince me...

Default Convince me...

I played this game for YEARS AND I LOVED IT. Yet, there were a few things on my bucket list that I never completed:

I never hit 75 with my main job (RDM)

Never completed the main story missions

Never got rich

Never punted a Taru

Never played Ballista (played brenner though)

Never got a Full AF

I really want to go back and do these things because I miss the game and I want to say that I "finished" it, in a sense. FFXI, FFVIII, and FFXIII are the only main story games I never completed, and it's the only one of those three that I really want to.

So convince me. Give me reasons why I should/should not go back and play.

GO!

Well I guess that settles it!

I'M GOING BACK!

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Go for it, but don't expect to "finish it." There's so much content at this point you'll never complete it all before the servers close. I mean some things (like Assault) are basically impossible to complete at this point anyway(they require multiple people, and there's no reason to do them so good luck), but on top of that all the questing, slaying, mission work is a good 4-5 years of constant playtime away.

The upside is that the game has changed quite a bit to be more solo-friendly (other than stupid trout like Assault) so you can do a lot of the content without having to have someone join you. I'm just not sure about capped content like some of the CoP fights. It might be possible to solo them somehow now, but more than likely, you'll be stuck begging people to help. Good luck though. If you show up on Shiva, find me.

Well the good thing is I possibly recovered my old account. Not sure yet, FFXI is updating (Lawd, I hate playonline). So we will see. Hopefully I won't have to start all the way over.

I also considered a private server but I am not sure. If this is my old account, I might just hop over to Shiva, and be done with it. Is there any other players here on that server?

FFXIV Character

There used to be. But I don't think there are any active EoFF members who still play FFXI. Most everyone either just quit the MMO game or made the jump to FFXIV.

It was the wrong account ;_;

I can't believe I had more than 2 accounts...now I have to contact them again and try to recover the last one.

If not, then I will just take my 1st one and do a server transfer. Pretty sure Kujata has been shutdown. Do you know of which server has the most NA/EU players?

FFXIV Character

Shiva consistently 500+ during off-peak hours.

Well, here's FFXIAH's numbers:
    http://www.ffxiah.com/database

Hmm, I'm on Asura and it seems to have around 800 during off-hours.

Why won't they just combined servers again at this point? Seems like it would be more beneficial and save them money.

FFXIV Character

I'm sure they will eventually, but it works for the game right now. It's easier on the servers and the game is spikier than it used to be. I bet the weekends double those numbers.

I guess that's true. It's odd seeing everyone in Jeuno again...Lawd I missed this game!

Can you explain to me how to make money from RoE? I heard something about buying equipment and then NPCing it, but which equipment should I buy and where?

FFXIV Character

No clue. The RoE thing is new to me, too. There's a ton of crap equipment you can buy, but I haven't seen anything especially valuable to sell.
    If I had to guess, there's probably some of the higher level weapons that might sell well to an npc, especially the one guy in Norg.

Well I figured it out...I think. Every piece of equipment sells for 10x the amount of points it costs.

I just bought a sword for 1600 RoE points (or whatever they are called) and it sold to a NPC for 16000 gil.

Well, I guess gil is no longer an issue anymore!

You can also warp to homepoint from any other homepoint. Traveling is insanely convenient now. It's like the game is on easy mode!

FFXIV Character

Okay, I see. That's nice.
    And the travel is ridiculous. Why couldn't this have existed when I played originally? Between homepoint warping and warping via survival guides (on top of all the other prior methods) travel is reduced by a factor of 10, AT LEAST.
    I noticed that they finally added methods for single-handedly dealing with stuff like the gates in Eldieme and Garlaige.

Lots of smart fixes.

Make sure you get the Trust quest goin' early so you can start picking up the better ones. They're all kinds of helpful.

Well, I finally beat Maat as a RDM!

That was on my bucket list for this game. It was so thrilling and nerve-racking! I made a lot of mistakes lol.

This is one of the main reasons I love this game so much; the frustration and joy you get when completing an almost impossible task.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Dante WolfWood View Post
    Well, I finally beat Maat as a RDM!

That was on my bucket list for this game. It was so thrilling and nerve-racking! I made a lot of mistakes lol.

This is one of the main reasons I love this game so much; the frustration and joy you get when completing an almost impossible task.

Congratulations!

And that's exactly the reason that I have played as long and as much as I have.

I have a small bucket list that I would like to complete and then I'll probably stop playing again. I don't really see myself getting into the full endgame Adoulin content, because I enjoy low-man/solo more than anything and full endgame is too much of a timesink. But I do want every job at 99 and to get a Maat's Cap (even if it is basically pointless) and finish the storylines up to Adoulin, which basically just means finishing WotG.

I'd play longer, perhaps, but too many of the game's systems absolutely require multiple people, like Unity Wanted fights and Assault. There's no reason for there to be 3-man requirements just to access those things and it's ultimately what will keep me playing longer.

Oh, and I want to get full AF, AF2, and maybe AF3 for each job. My very first ever real FF goal was to get AF, so it would be an appropriate final goal.