Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Note

Default Death Note

In case you don't know about the series, I just read all 12 volumes of the manga and can summarize it for you. The person in the video is Light Yagami, the hero, and he was out to make the world a better place. He reduced crime by 70% all across the globe. He was a great man who sacrificed everything in the name of justice before he was felled by a bunch of short-sighted, morally bankrupt fools.

It was a very sad, tragic ending. Although Part 2 wasn't nearly as bad as I had been told. True, Near was no L but a lot of L's time was spent in the boring Memory/Yotsuba Arc so that didn't help. The beginning is the best part of Death Note, when Light was first creating his ideal world.

P.S.

Light x Misa forever. At least they are together in death....

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Light x Misa forever.
    Absolutely not.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Light x Misa forever.
    Absolutely not.
    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Are you part of the rabid LightxL crowd?

Or do you just not pair Light with anyone?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

With no one. Light's a horrible human being! And certainly in the case of Misa, he never loved her at all. He was using her the entire time. I don't think he ever felt any true affection towards or even cared about her in the most basic way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

You think Light was a great man? You think he should have been paired with someone he used? What? Light was a serial killer. Who says he deserves to be judge and jury of everyone?

It's a good series though. I watched the anime subbed back in the day. It was the second anime I ever watched subbed. I was like 16 at the time.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I rooted for Kira. It was interesting watching it all play out and seeing how the battle of wits progressed. Death Note is one of my favorite shows. I was initially on the fence about wanting to start Attack on Titan, but when I found out it had the same series director as Death Note, I was on board right away. I haven't seen the live action movies, but I'd like to at some point.

I want to buy one of the cosplay books that has the "How to use it" pages in between the regular sheets of paper, and I think it's hilarious when fans go up to voice actors at anime conventions and say "will you sign my death note?".

Light x Misa forever
    No. He didn't care about her at all. Over time he only cared about people in relation to how he could use them, which is a shame, because I genuinely think he had great intentions in regards to eliminating crime in the beginning. Having so much power made him incredibly narcissistic.

My favorite piece from the score.

Okay here's my serious view of Light Yagami.

In the beginning, after he used the Death Note a little bit and before he met Ryuk, he was really eff'ed up. He couldn't sleep, he couldn't eat, and he was ready for his soul to be eaten or something whenever the entity that this magical power belonged to came and punished him. Yet he still did it anyway. He still wrote down the names of the scum of the earth.

We also know, from the writer of the manga, that Light was the Death Note's first victim. If he had never found it, he would have followed in his father's footsteps and joined the police. He had already helped them solve two crimes prior to the start of the series. I think Light's overly developed sense of morality, of right and wrong, is something he inherited from his father. I also think he genuinely respected his father and his father's strong sense of justice and in a lot of ways he was just trying to emulate his dad like any other son would.

At one point, when Light first meets Misa, he actually thinks that he can't start developing feelings for her. That was literally a thought that went through his mind in the manga at least. If he was a true psychopath incapable of empathizing with anyone, I don't think he ever would have had that thought.

The problem with Light is that, in addition to the fact he can kill with complete ease and immunity, he then spends years hiding himself. He has to spend years concealing who he is from his family, the people he works with, the people he goes to school with... He can't really trust anyone or let down his guard. Ever. That has to take a toll on someone; constantly lying and pretending and thinking "I have to act this way or my life is over." And after a year or two or three or four, he couldn't even recognize himself. The mountain of lies had drowned whatever spark of goodness once existed in him.

The person who might honestly have cared about Misa, or been effected when his father (unknowingly) called him evil, he was gone and all that was left was a guy putting on a perpetual act and who could never know any true peace.

The Death Note is the real villain of Death Note.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Death Note is pretty great. I haven't read the manga, but the anime series is one of the two main shows (the other being Elfen Lied) that got me into anime in the first place.

For me the most enjoyable part of the show was the battle of wits between Light and L. It's quite rare that you see an all-out battle between two opposing sides on equal footing like that. It's almost always that one side is not taking it seriously and just playing with the other side (looking at you Gurren Lagann). In that way Death Note is pretty unique, although that is also why I felt the latter third of the show wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the first two thirds.

I liked L more than Light. L was quite ruthless at times, but very likeable. Kira was just presented as so... morally black. No shade of grey. Just black. And I prefer my anti-heroes grey, which is why I ultimately prefer Code Geass and G-senjou no Maou over Death Note.

Still, Death Note is a classic, and a very good and gripping series.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The show is like a million Xanatos gambits stacked on top of each other and I like it. The final arc gets a bit borked because it keeps going for a long time after what feels like the climax, but still really good overall.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I thought it was an amazing journey from Light Yagami being a paragon of justice at the beginning, slowly becoming just as bad as all the people he deemed unworthy enough to kill. I mean, I rooted for Kira enormously, but as the series went on I found myself questioning my faith in this man who had clearly lost his moral compass.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Light slowly becoming bad? Dude crossed the line into full blown crazy by the end of the first episode.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I am probably remembering it differently, but I never felt that he was willing from the get-go to kill innocent people to further his ideals. It definitely was a thing that seemed to creep in a bit.

Alternatively, I haven't watched it in a long time. xD

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I am probably remembering it differently, but I never felt that he was willing from the get-go to kill innocent people to further his ideals. It definitely was a thing that seemed to creep in a bit.
    That's pretty spot on.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The series was really good until L died, then it just started imploding on itself for me.