Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin's Video Game Diary!

I loved the first Toh Shin Den game, except I played the original Saturn release. And it was very pretty. And a few years later, I bought the third one on the PS1 and it was atrociously ugly, and played like garbage. I have no idea what happened in that time, but the only bonus was there was like 30 characters, but most of them were duplicates or triplicates, so not really even that worth it. Still have a soft spot for the original though. That, Virtua Fighter 2, and Soul Blade got me into 3D fighting games. Funny how the Soul series was the only one to keep it going for me. And now even they are a joke I'm sad now lol

Edit: Just realized that I spell the name of this game differently than its actual release name. And yet for some reason it's so ingrained in my head, I actually googled it to verify my spelling (which is apparently common for some reason) and found an old post on this forum where it was brought up last time and I spelled it that way lol I dunno, maybe the anime was spelled that way (which I watched, sadly more than once), or perhaps I had a bootleg copy or something. Oh well, just a curiosity
    Last edited by Vyk; 02-05-2016 at 04:38 AM.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

that was my first psx game
    super great
    i cant beat everyone at it i think though

edit: yeah do not play the toshinden 3

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

CLANNAD (Steam)

CLANNAD is a visual novel, meaning it is basically a... text that you read and that has pictures. Like a... novel that is visual. This particular one is very choice intensive and you will find yourself making a number of dialogue choices in a number of different situations. Depending on those choices, you will open up new scenes and endings. This game has many endings and, for each "good ending" you complete with a character, you'll receive a light orb. You need to obtain a certain amount of light orbs and complete certain character routes to obtain the "After Story" section of the novel, which I will cover later.

CLANNAD is about a teenage boy named Tomoya who feels disenfranchised with his life. Having an unhappy home environment, Tomoya stays out late and wakes up late, making him tardy for school. He generally wastes his time while in school, sleeping or skipping class, and only goes the minimum amount he needs to to not get kicked out. He and his friend Sunohara are known as the delinquents of these school and waste their lives away. One April day, however, Tomoya meets a girl at the bottom of the hill leading up to the school. This is where our adventure begins as Tomoya makes decisions that will affect the rest of his life. The rest of the story varies widely depending on which route you are pursuing. There is also a somewhat separate section called the "Illusionary World" that you will see sometimes as you progress.

There are many different character routes and many different dialogues depending on what you choose to do when. It's very open and it makes it so that pretty much every playthrough is different in some way. There are a number of romantic options for Tomoya to pursue, as well as a few non-romantic storylines to learn more about certain characters. You'll amass a list of terms you can look up, some music you can listen to from the main menu, and several CG images you can look at as well. the game is really quite indepth and I have just completed all routes clocking in at 63 hours. The game also keeps track of your progress so you can go back, replay, switch things around, and skip previously read text if you just want to get to the new stuff.

The After Story is quite extensive in its own and follows the story of Tomoya and Nagisa's life after the previous CLANNAD story. It follows them as they complete high school, move in together, go off in to the work force, and have a child together. The After Story also wraps up a few other character arcs. You'll need to play through it at least 3 times in order to get the "True Ending" by amassing more Light Orbs. It is essential to get as many light orbs as you can if you want to see the True Ending. I would recommend a walkthrough for this game if you intend to see everything it has to offer.

Characters:
    (In order of favourite to least favourite)
    Yukine: A sweet girl who hangs out in the old reference room and tends to societies deliquants. She is very upbeat and positive and gives everyone the benefit of a doubt.
    Fuko: A tiny girl handing out starfish carvings to get people to her sister's wedding. She is weirdly arrogant and zones out a lot.
    Mei: Sunohara's younger sister. Very level headed but can roll with the punches and tell some jokes with the best of them.
    Sanae: Nagisa's mother. Very gentle and caring, although kind of a cry baby. Also not good at innovating bread flavours.
    Ryou: A shy girl and the class president of Tomoya's class. She is either very good or very bad at fortune-telling, depending on how you look at it.
    Tomoya: Our protagonist. A deliquant with a good sense of humour who is generally very upfront about his thoughts and feelings.
    Akio: Nagisa's father. Very goofy and brings a smile to people's faces. A good father overall and a good husband. Kind of a creepy though.
    Nagisa: A very shy girl who motivates herself to school with promises of food. She's somewhat seekly but has a strong constitution.
    Sunohara: Tomoya's friend and fellow deliquent. Difficult to rank because he can be a jerk or the voice of reason depending on your route. Always good for a laugh, though.
    Koumura: An old teacher at the school, he cares deeply about the students and wants to see them succeed.
    Kappei: An odd young man who likes to prove his masculinity. He's rather blunt and a bit offbeat.
    Tomoyo: A girl with a bad reputation of fighting from her old school, she's tryng to turn things around and make her way on to the school council.
    Kotomi: A somewhat childish but very intelligent girl with some odd habits.
    Misae: Sunohara's dorm mother, she's level-headed and works hard to deal with her rambunctious dorm students.
    Ibuki: Fuko's sister and former art school teacher, she also taught Nagisa.
    Kyou: Ryou's twin sister. Much more lively and aggressive and not afraid to push (sometimes violently) for what she wants.
    Naoyuki: Tomoya's father. The two of them do not get along very well, and he is shown to be somewhat naive.
    Yoshino: A man with a secret past who does physical labour around town. He has a kind heart and is known for saying some very inspirational things at odd times.

Overall I really enjoyed this visual novel. The degree to which I enjoyed it varied pretty widely from route to route though, so I am glad I got to try them all and see everything it had to offer. The art was a bit off-putting at first, but in the end I didn't notice it much anymore. The story was pretty solid and there was a large cast of characters. I don't think I disliked any of the characters, really, so it was pretty strong. There were a lot of very touching and/or very emotional moments and there were some tears sometimes. I enjoyed the concept of how making one different decision could impact your life in such a meaningful way. I enjoyed it and will probably play it again in the future.

Verdict:
    LIKED IT A LOT

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

"Why don't you have feelings for my wife? She not good enough for you?!"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I may try this someday. Though the art does look quite off putting :/

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, you get used to it after a bit though

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yay, my first visual novel. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for participating in the bookclub, too. Rereading this gem as a group was a lot of fun. I have my own wall of text to write about it, but I'll leave that for my own blog.

Akio best dad.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Looks interesting but that art style leaves something to be desired.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aw I think that's a cute picture, actually

Articles
    Blog Entries

*shrug* You get used to it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Art style doesn't bother me. It looks familiar, actually. I know I never played the game before, but I've seen that art style somewhere.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Life is Strange (PlayStation 4)

Note: This game contains foul language, drug use, sexual content, violent scenes, murder, and many other graphic subject matter. If any of those things make you very uncomfortable, I would not recommend the game.

Story:
    Life is Strange is an episodic story about a teenager named Max Caulfield, who has returned to her home town in order to study at a prestigious academy under a photography legend. Her life takes a strange turn one day when she sees a girl being shot in the school bathroom and learns that she can actually rewind time. She quickly uses these newfound powers to save the girl and snoop through everybody's stuff.

Before long, Max learns that the girl she saved was actually her best friend Chloe from before she moved five years ago. Chloe has changed since Max left, becoming much more jaded with her life. On top of that, a student at the academy, and very close friend of Chloe's, Rachel, has gone missing. During the next week, Max and Chloe try to solve the mysteries surrounding the small town of Arcadia Bay, learn what happened to Rachel, and oh yeah, Max is having visions of a tornado wiping out the town too. Can her rewind powers help her save the day?

Gameplay:
    Life is Strange is very much like an interactive story or movie. Mostly you will be walking Max around Arcadia Bay, examining her surroundings and listening to her thoughts on the things she sees and the things that happen. There will often be long stretches of story during which time, and during conversations, you will be prompted to make a choice. Max is also a photographer and you can take multiple pictures of specific things during the tale. You can check your journal, text messages, character profiles, pictures, and a few other odds and ends from the menu.

The main stand out feature is Max's ability to rewind time. Made a conversation choice you didn't like? Chances are you can rewind it. In fact, the game will give you a symbol when you gain new, pertinent information and you can rewind to use it. The game will also show a little butterfly icon to show you very important decisions that have been made along the way. Max can only rewind to a short while before and leaving an area will generally prevent you from rewinding to before you left. Some crucial moments cannot be undone though, so don't rely on this mechanic too much!

World:
    This game takes place in the small town of Arcadia Bay. You will be at set areas at set time and can't wander to other locations, but you're generally free to explore the places you're in a decent amount, finding clues, talking to people, and whatnot. Some locations you will see often are the school, the dorm, Chloe's house, and a small diner. There are a few other places as well to help keep things a bit fresh.

Characters:
    (In no particular order)
    Max: The main hero of our story, a girl who loves photography and can also rewind time suddenly.
    Chloe: Max's friend, a troubled teen who feels disenfranchised with the world since her dad died and Max moved away.
    Warren: A nice young man who is very in to science and also very in to Max.
    Victoria: The school bitch, she often feels the need to compete with Max's art and put down others around her.
    Nathan: An obviously troubled young man, Nathan is the person caught shooting the girl in the bathroom. Problem is that his family owns the academy.
    Mr. Jefferson: The esteemed photographer and reason many of the students are attending Blackwell Academy, including Max.
    Kate: A young religious girl who is often bullied and ridiculed by her peers, leading her to be quite depressed.
    David: Chloe's step-father or "step-douche" as she puts it, a former military man who often bullies students and takes surveillance way too far.
    Joyce: Chloe's mother. She works hard for her family since the death of her husband but isn't always aware of the issues with her new husband.
    Rachel: Chloe's very close friend (possibly lover?) who has gone missing.

Overall:

While the game is episodic, you can now purchase the whole thing together for about $20 USD. It's rather short and I guess if I wanted to make this overall section short, I would say it was good, but I'm glad it was $20. It actually gets considerably better towards the end, and there were some very emotional moments that packed quite a punch. While I didn't like many of the characters, with the exception of Kate, some of them did grow on me by the end of it. Certain sections of the game were unclear, the slang was annoying as were many of the characters in my opinion, and some times you could/couldn't rewind were odd. But the art style was quite interesting, and so was the story. I seem to be playing a lot of butterfly effect stories lately so that fit right in. I'd say it was worth the time and the money, I will probably replay it at some point, but it has some very obvious faults as well.

Verdict:
    LIKED IT

Last edited by Pumpkin; 02-21-2016 at 04:26 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's time for another

*SPECIAL EDITION*

Six more months of video games - tl;dr version

It's been another six months and close to a year since the thread started. I won't be finishing up any games before the end of February so I went ahead and made the next six months. It'll be interesting to see how my opinions may/may not have changed since I played the games. So I will be ranking the games from favourite to least favourite of the past six months and giving a general overview. Remember that this is very subjective so my pros/cons may be completely different from yours.

LOVED IT games

1. Final Fantasy IX
    Genre: RPG
    System: PlayStation
    General Info: You play a thief with a monkey tail who kidnaps a Princess and is joined by an odd, ragtag group of individuals who need to stop the bad guys and find out that got in to way more than they thought.
    Pros: Great story, amazing characters, beautiful world, beautiful music, charming, Vivi
    Cons: Gameplay is slow, trance system is awful

2. Suikoden II
    System: PlayStation
    General Info: You play as a young boy named Riou who has been betrayed and cast aside by his home land and now fights to stop the absurdly evil Luca Blight while gathering an army of 108 Stars of Destiny.
    Pros: Lots of characters, great central cast, amazing story, great locations, fun gameplay
    Cons: Long, sometimes difficult, war battles were not the greatest

3. Until Dawn
    Genre: Horror/Adventure
    System: PlayStation 4
    General Info: A bunch of teenagers spend the night at a cabin in the woods and try to survive Until Dawn, depending on your actions and reflexes.
    Pros: Many choices, scary, great characters, good development
    Cons: 2scary4me, some charactes don't get enough time

4. Tales of Vesperia
    System: Xbox 360
    General Info: Yuri takes on the role of a vigilante as he chases down a thief and ends up in the middle of a corrupt situation, while his friend Flynn tries to change things from the inside.
    Pros: Good characters, beautiful world, great story, good moments
    Cons: Gameplay a bit complex, weird story direction

LIKED IT A LOT games

5. Fallout: New Vegas
    Genre: Action RPG
    System: PlayStation 3
    general Info: You play the courier in a post-apocolyptic wasteland who was shot and almost killed until a friendly neighbourhood doctor came and rescued you. Now it is time to take revenge! Or just wander around the Mojave Desert helping people or messing up their days.
    Pros: Customization, tons of freedom, good companions, great dialogue choices, accommodates many different play styles
    Cons: Drab as all heck world, shooter aspects, kind of dull story

6. Tales of Zestiria
    General Info: Our hero embarks on an adventure with the mystical spirits that most people can't see, in order to help cleanse the world of darkness and bring peace to the land.
    Pros: Good cast of characters, interesting story, great world, lots to explore, touching moments
    Cons: Not as well told as could be, not the greatest gameplay

7. Mass Effect 2
    NOTE: This game has LIKED IT in the review, but in retrospect, I have bumped it up to here.
    Genre: Action RPG/Third-person shooter
    General Info: You play Commander Shepherd who is working with an agency called Cerberus and plans to do some things to stop some bad alien type things and you assemble an elite squad of allies.
    Pros: Good characters, interesting story, lots to do, fun exploration, real consequences to actions, customization
    Cons: Morality system not done well, too much shooter, mining planets was dull

8. Eternal Sonata
    General Info: Frederic Chopin has a dying dream about a whole other world that may or may not be real. In this dream world, your ragtag group tries to stop the evil Count Waltz.
    Pros: Great world, good characters, large cast, fun gameplay
    Cons: Weird story

9. CLANNAD
    Genre: Visual Novel
    System: Steam
    General Info: You play as Tomoya, a young delinquent man in high school and your choices will affect his friendships and relationships, while collecting Light Orbs to affect your endings.
    Pros: Lots of choices, lots of characters, good story, touching moments
    Cons: Art style, some stories not as good

10. Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
    Genre: Simulation
    System: 3DS
    General Info: In this game, you work for Nook's Homes and help design the homes of various clients, as well as designing certain public buildings.
    Pros: Designing homes, lots of selection, lots of available customers, building designs
    Cons: Repetitive, short, tiny homes, nothing outside of designing

11. Battle Arena Toshinden
    Genre: 3D Fighting game
    General Info: I have no idea, people fight.
    Pros: Fun, silly, decent gameplay
    Cons: Terrible graphics, some gameplay quirks

LIKED IT games

12. Doki Doki Universe
    Genre: Adventure
    General Info: You play the robot, QT3, as he searches for a little girl around all different planets. In the meantime, he gets to learn about humanity and emotions and help the residents of the planets he visits.
    Pros: Sweet, personality tests, fun, good characters, nice environments
    Cons: Too much DLC, small planets, gross planets

13. Aquapazza
    Genre: 2D Fighting game
    General Info: A girl has made an evil love potion that has brought warriors from different realms together(?) to fight her off, save the day, and return home.
    Pros: Goofy story, bright environments, largely female cast, lots of different fighting styles
    Cons: Simple, not the easiest combat system, support characters instead of playable

14. Omega Quintet
    General Info: The world is being attacked by horrible monsters and humanity is on its last legs. Who can save them? Pop stars, of course.
    Pros: Good characters, outfit changes, bright environments, fun gameplay
    Cons: Fanservicey, not great story, too much pop star

15. Life is Strange
    Genre: Adventure
    General Info: A girl named Max discovers she can rewind time right as her friend gets hot in the bathroom. Using these newfound powers, her and her friend try to investigate the mysterious happenings around Arcadia Bay.
    Pros: Some good moments, great ending, photography, easy to play
    Cons: Bad slang, meh characters, some meh parts of the story

16. Test Drive Unlimited 2
    Genre: Driving
    General Info: Tired of being a broke valet? Street race! Suddenly you're rolling in cash and can afford the nicest houses and cars available on the islands.
    Pros: Large world, pretty areas, two massive locations, some nice cars
    Cons: Limited car selection, limited radio, not many good customization options

17. Conception II
    System: PS Vita
    General Info: You play as a special young man with special magical abilities that allow you and your companions to enter the lair's of the dangerous monsters that threaten humanity. You also get to look for a girlfriend on your off time.
    Pros: Good cast of characters, interesting story, adorable star children, job class system
    Cons: Repetitive, bland world, trope-ish, way too fanservicey

18. Mortal Kombat
    Genre: 2D Fighting game
    System: SNES
    General Info: Take some fighters and try to save earthrealm, probably.
    Pros: Classic, pretty fun, decent gameplay
    Cons: A bit still, not many ladies

IT WAS OKAY games

19. Illusion of Gaia
    Genre: Action RPG
    General Info: Our young hero is told he needs to set off on an adventure to many clones of real Earth locations in order to save the world from the coming evil.
    Pros: Charming, nice areas, good cast of characters, classic feel
    Cons: Hard, very hard, super hard, only one playable character, hard

20. Super Mario Bros. 3
    Genre: Platformer
    General Info: You play as an odd stereotypical Italian plumber who leaves a path of murder and destruction in his quest to rescue the Princess from an evil turtle thing.
    Pros: Fun, bright environments, lost of variety in the worlds
    Cons: Hard, not good at platforming, frustrating

21. Civilization Revolution
    Genre: Turn-based strategy
    General Info: You take control of some of history's greatest leader and build an empire from the ground up and try to achieve victory through many different means such as war ir science.
    Pros: Fun, easy to play, bright environments
    Cons: Short, repetitive

MEH games

22. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    Genre: Adventure/Visual Novel
    System: Nintendo DS
    General Info: Newbie defense lawyer Phoenix Wright deals with his friendly rival Miles Edgeworth in a number of murder cases. You need to investigate and defend your client effectively in court.
    Pros: Funny, interesting stories and plot-twists
    Cons: Drags on, investigations were unfun, meh characters
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 02-24-2016 at 04:36 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bloody Roar 3 (PlayStation 2)

Bloody Roar 3 is about Beastmen, human who can turn in to beasts, having a mysterious mark appear on their bodies which grants them power, but will supposedly also kill them.Each fighter has a reason for fighting, generally involving the sign and how to stop or abuse its power. Like many fighting games, the plot is not super important or even that fleshed out.

This game is a 3D fighting game. What makes this one unique is that each character can transform in to a beat version of themselves. Some can turn in to wolves or lizards or bugs or bunnies. This is obviously a very fantastical element, but the game actually handles it quite well and it doesn't feel gimmicky. There's also an element of strategy to it; your beast bar will fill and then begin to deplete once you have transformed. While transformed you will also heal some health. Do you save your transformation for when you need the health? For when your opponent transforms? Do you just go all out? Do you wait for it to fill completely before transforming? This allows for many different approaches and a bit more strategic thinking than a lot of fighting games offer.

The game has a few modes, such as a 9 stage arcade mode, a survival mode, a 2 player VS, and of course, options. There aren't many other modes aside from that. In the options you can change things such as difficulty, round time, and number of matches. The default layout is Square for punch, X for kick, O to transform and Triangle to throw. These buttons can do other things as well depending on your sequence of button presses. There is also no command list available in game, making it a bit of trial and error figuring each character out. Each character also has 3 outfits available, which will also change the appearance of their beast form, and there are two unlockable characters as well.

Characters:
    (Ordered from favourite to least favourite)
    Alice, The Rabbit: Alice leaves her job as a nurse to help Yugo who has gone off somewhere.
    Uriko, The Half Beast: After having horrific experiments performed on her and being saved, Uriko now feels pretty bored with her life.
    Jenny, The Bat: A super model and spy, she tries to uncover the secrets of her new mark.
    Shina, The Leopard: A powerful mercenary and soldier sent to investigate the mark.
    Long, The Tiger: Noticing the mark on the daughter of his master and close friend, he goes off in search of a way to save her.
    Bakuryu, The Mole: After being afforded a nice life thanks to Yugo, he enters the tournament to prove how much he has grown.
    Gado, The Lion: An advocate of peace between the humans and beastmen.
    Yugo, The Wolf: Another advocate of peace between humans and beastmen, he is searching for a way to cure the mark and keep people from dying.
    Shenlong, The Tiger: He is a clone of Long and has gone out in search of his own identity.
    Stun, The Insect: Experimented on by Busuzima, he struggles with existing as he is.
    Xion, The Unborn: Extremely OP villain of this game who killed his sister and wants a lot of power.
    Kohryu, The Iron Mole: A character unlockable by beating arcade mode, a robot based kind of on the sort of dead person he used to be.
    Busuzima, The Chameleon: A mad scientist who wants to test the extent of his powers.
    Uranus, The Chimera: A character unlockable by beating the game without having to continue, a feat I was unable to accomplish. She is at the bottom only because I could never use her.

Overall this is an excellent fighting game. The game is fun and I like the added beast mode part of it. As I said, it doesn't feel gimmicky as I expected, but instead it serves as a way to make the game more complex and add a bit more strategy to it. The characters are mostly fun to use and I was happy to find that all of the female characters matched up with my style of playing and my preference for fast, acrobatic characters. The game is kind of minimalistic though, the story is kind of unclear, and my biggest complaint is that, even on the easiest mode, the game is just too darn hard. But overall a very good fighting game and I quite like it.

Verdict:
    LIKED IT A LOT