Thread: Pumpkin's Video Game Diary!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's a joke about her boob size but I'm going to ignore that part because no matter your cup size IT'S FRIGGIN ADORABLE

She even has a cow keychain which you can't see to well in the picture

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    It's a joke about her boob size but I'm going to ignore that part because no matter your cup size IT'S FRIGGIN ADORABLE

She even has a cow keychain which you can't see to well in the picture
    Wait, what does a part of the female anatomy have to do with cows?

I admit, her cow motif does look pretty adorable. What's her story-line in the game then?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Milk. It's a boob-milk joke.

She doesn't have a bunch of story as she is a DLC character and it wasn't really shown in game. According to the DOA wikia, she was raised by her grandmother and is a generally sweet girl, but she has ~mysterious powers~ similar to one of the bad guys of the series and doesn't know where they came from. It basically makes her kind of glow redish and get warm. She is also said to learn moves from others very quickly which is why her fighting style is a mixture of everyone else's with a few unique moves, which she calls "Honoka Fu"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Scribblenauts Unlimited (Steam)

This is a game in the Scribblenauts series, which follows Maxwell and his magic notebook. In this game, Maxwell and his sister, Lily, have caused some trouble with the notebook for a little old man. The old man doesn't take this lying down and curses Lily to slowly turn to stone. The two come up with a solution: Gather Starites by doing good deeds around the world and save Lily from her predicament.

You'll take control of Maxwell, but you'll unlock his siblings as you progress the game and solve their problems. By clicking on Maxwell, you can change which sibling you'll control. You then travel to different areas, where you have a number of problems to solve. When entering a new area, you can click on the 'Starite' icon on the top left of your screen to see how many Starite and Starite pieces you can collect. Once they have all been collected, you'll see a 'Level Complete' appear on your screen.

Starite pieces can be obtained by solving problems of the people, or creatures, or even objects you see in an area. By clicking on them, sometimes you'll see a problem above their description. These can range from "I need a friend" to "I'm looking for an object I lost". Maxwell can then use his magic notepad to help them. Full Starite missions are shown in each area by a blue star. Approaching these and clicking on them will take you to a special level of sorts with several steps to complete in order to receive the Starite. These vary from "Complete the Prison Gauntlet" to "Help Solve The Crime of the Missing Santa".

As I mentioned before, a lot of these problems are solved using the Magic Notebook. You can access it either by clicking on an object or person that needs help, or by clicking the icon in the upper right corner of the screen. Then you simply type in a word and it will appear. There are limits, no profanities, sexuality, trademarks, concept, and a few other things, but there is a very wide range of items, people, or animals you can make. You can also apply adjectives to things, such as "Big", "Hot", "Frozen, etc.

The game is very open in terms of how you complete most challenges. Occasionally you will receive a challenge that needs one very specific thing, but a lot of the time you can be very creative. For example, when asking for a long range weapon, you can create a gun, a slingshot, or even a baseball to fulfill the request. This can add some variety to replays. You can also just do silly things like making your wings pink and sparkly. This is also a good game for kids as it allows them to use their imagination and try to solve problems, but younger kids may need help with some concepts and references. The game isn't too challenging, but some problems require you to think a little harder.

There are a wide variety of locations to visit, so if you find some you don't enjoy, there are plenty of different types to explore. The world opens up the more Starites you collect, with 60 needed to complete the game. Once you've collected 60, you can continue to play and try to collect all the Starites, of which there are over 100. Travel between areas can be done in each area (you'll see a small globe with an arrow insdicating that clicking on it will send you to a new area) or by clicking on the globe icon on the top of your screen and selecting any available location on the map. There's also an item editor mode, where you can edit the appearance of a lot of the things you'll see, as well as your avatar.

Overall this game was very fun, and it was good for some laughs. Some of the scenes or consequences were pretty amusing. It's easy to pick up and play for a few minutes and put back down, or for playing for a while. It's not overly complicated, but it does make you use your brain. I enjoyed seeing a lot of the new areas and seeing the most creative ways I could solve certain problems. It took me a while to get the hang of some of it, but overall I have very little complaints. It's not a serious or heavy game if that's what you're looking for, but it's great fun if you want something shorter and more lighthearted.

Verdict:
    LOVED IT

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

BlazBlue: Chronophantasma (PlayStation 3)

Please note that I have not played any other game in the series and as such there may be spoilers in this review because I am not sure what is established by this game, and what is new in terms of story. It is also a very complex story and I don't have a complete picture of it due to this being the first one I've played.

BlazBlue: Chronopantasma is a 2D fighting game with some Visual Novel aspects to it as well. It is very story heavy, and the story itself is very complex. While the game does offer a "Teach Me Miss Litchi" section to bring the players up to date, there is a lot to catch up on and some things still may not be clear without having played earlier entries. The story has to do with a man named Ragna the Bloodegde and some time disturbances. Ragna is out to defeat a man named Terumi who has kidnapped his friend and is helping do some rather unfortunate things.

There are several modes to this game, including a Story Mode, which is very long, detailed, and plays similar to a Visual Novel except at certain fighting points. There are branching storylines to follow. You can also play Arcade Mode, which takes you through individual character stories as you progress though the battle stages. The game also offers the "Teach Me Miss Litchi" section to help the player learn more about the story, and several other fighting modes to challenge the player. You can also engage in training modes to learn more about the controls.

The game has several difficulties for the player to choose from, and also offers two different fighting styles, Technical and Stylish. Stylish is for more casual players, and has simplified controls, where Technical is a bit more complex. You can also battle online, although I never used the feature myself, and there are certain DLC purchases that can be made, such as artwork and additional characters.

Characters:
    Ordered from favourite to least favourite:
    Platinum: A girl who harbors three personalities: A rude girl named Luna, a polite person named Sena, and the legendary hero, Trinity.
    Noel: A former member of the NOL and good friends of Tsubaki and also Ragna. Very kind-hearted.
    Izayoi: The "awakened" form of Tsubaki who took the Izayoi weapon. A very strong sense of justice.
    Bang: A ninja with a good attitude who hold a key component to some people's plans.
    Rachel: A vampire and an observer, she knows a lot of what is going on and holds a lot of power.
    Ragna: The protagonist of the series, a very important man who is highly sought after by just about everybody.
    Tsubaki: Friend of Noel, she is under the influence of a mind-eater and is essentially brainwashed.
    Litchi: A scientist who left Sector Seven and is searching for a way to save Roy, a.k.a Arakune.
    Mu. -No.12-: The true form of Noel, she was created to be an ultimate weapon.
    Taokaka: A vigilante and friend of Ragna, she thinks mostly with her stomach. Her and her race were created as clones of one of the six legendary heroes.
    Jin: Brother of Ragna and respected hero. He used to have a prominent position in the NOL.
    Amane is a crossdressing man who gathers young girls and boys for his performance troupe.
    Carl: A vigilante who believes his doll-weapon is his older sister. The son of Relius.
    Valkenhayn: One of the six legendary heroes who now serves Rachel. He can turn in to a wolf.
    Bullet: A mercenary who's former squad was killed in an incident. As a result, she hates Sector Seven.
    Hakumen: One of the six legendary heroes, he is considered incredibly wise, but is a bit lacking in social skills.
    Makoto: A hyperactive girl searching for her friends, Noel and Tsubaki.
    Nu. -No.13- was designed as a weapon. She has a split personality which comes out when around Ragna.
    Tager: A loyal soldier to a scientist named Kokonoe, he follows her orders and does what she asks of him, although he lets his own feelings interfere sometimes.
    Azrael: A beastly, powerful, cannibal man who was in a frozen slumber until some random men brought him back under their control.
    Arakune: A former man who became obsessed with power and had an accident resulting in what he is today. He is obsessed with the Azure and devours things.
    Relius: Carl's father, a man who views people as tools and will do whatever it takes to further his own goals.
    Hazama: The bad guy of the game leading to a lot of negative things. Working under the Imperator.

Overall, while it was an alright game, I don't think it was the best suited for me. The story was complicated and at times the writing felt very forced or unnatural, although I do appreciate them trying to give a fighting game a more complex story. There were some pretty levels, and I liked the Stylish Mode options and tutorial levels. The Teach Me Miss Litchi segments were pretty enjoyable. There were some strong characters. But overall the game wasn't the most to my tastes and story mode felt more like a chore than anything. While I don't regret trying it, I don't think I'll play another BlazBlue game.

Verdict:
    MEH

Articles
    Blog Entries

For some reason this series is on VNDB. I'd thought of checking it out, but now I'm not so sure anymore ^^

Articles
    Blog Entries

I played DOA5 with my brother and nephew. I actually found it immensely enjoyable and take back the bad things I said about Team Ninja.

Christie is my favorite character to play as.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    For some reason this series is on VNDB. I'd thought of checking it out, but now I'm not so sure anymore ^^
    Don't let me deter you too much. It actually gets good reviews and is pretty popular overall, it just wasn't to my tastes, personally. The older ones are pretty cheap now and may be worth a look in to for the price! It does also have a pure visual novel I think, but I have not tries it so I couldn't tell you what it's like

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita)

Note that I have not played the original Persona 4 and so I couldn't comment on the changes. I do know they've added a new social link and a new possible ending, called the Golden ending.

Story:
    Persona 4 follows our main character as he moves from the big city to the small town of Inaba for a year to stay with his uncle Dojima and his cousin Nanako. He attends the local high school and makes some friends. Soon he hears a rumour about a strange thing called "The Midnight Channel". Supposedly, if you watch it on a rainy night at midnight, your soulmate will appear. Despite not believing it, he tries it out anyway. Sure enough, someone appears on the television. Even weirder, he finds he can stick his hand through the television!

Things escalate from there when a series of murders plagues this small town. Our hero (default name of Yu) and his friends learn that the midnight channel might have something to do with it, seeing as how the people who appear tend to die shortly afterwards. Using his strange powers, Yu and his friends enter in to the TV world in an attempt to save the victims and find out who has been committing these crimes.

Gameplay:
    There are a few aspects to this game. One is an RPG style and the other is more along the lines of a simulation game. Your days are broken up in to fragments, which will be spent going to school, studying, improving your skills, and forming social links. You can also do things like shop, fish, catch bugs, garden, drive around on your scooter, among others. It's very open aside from certain times where the game forces you to do certain things and you can choose how to spend your days.

Social links are a very important aspect to the game. You can form social links by spending time with people, and after a certain amount of time, a scene will be triggered, allowing your link to "level up", with 10 being the max. There are ways to help speed things along, as you'll discover. Forming links with people will allow you to fuse stronger "Personas" which are used in dungeons. Forming links with the other playable character will also grant them bonuses in battle.

The other aspect of the game is an RPG. When you spot someone in the TV, you will gain access to a new dungeon. You have to complete this dungeon before a certain time or you'll get a game over. Each dungeon has mostly randomized floors, usually being around 10 floors, although some are less. You'll find chests and battle Shadows. Enemies are visible on the map and when engaged, you will be taken to a special screen that plays out in typical RPG fashion. You select actions such as "attack" or "skill" or "item". You can choose to directly control your other party members, or you can set a specific strategy for them.

Another aspect is the "Persona". You can gain more Personas for your character either by receiving them after completing certain battles or by merging together Personas you already have. When merging them, you will get to choose a certain amount of skills to carry over from the Personas you've fused in to the new one. Personas dictate what skills you can use and what your strengths and weaknesses are. They can be changed freely in the menu or in battle, so switch them up as often as you'd like to your advantage.

There are a few more aspects to this game. You can complete requests, and even change characters outfits in battle. There is also a TV section where you can look at some game art, listen to some lore behind the game, listen to music, and even take part in a trivia show later on in the game. The game also has multiple endings and the option to date certain characters as well.

World:
    The social aspect of the game allows you to travel to different areas throughout the town of Inaba, where you can interact with people, stop and shop, or do any other number of things, some which might pass the time. As the game progress you may gain access to a few areas outside of town as well. Dungeons unlock as the game progresses and vary in appearance. The floor layouts are usually randomized with a few preset floors here and there.

Characters:
    Ordered from favourite to least favourite (I will only be listing party members and not all possible social links):
    Yukiko: A young woman who's family owns the local Inn, she feels a heavy burden to carry the torch. She seems a bit closed off but opens up when she gets to know people and tends to have laughing fits at things no one else finds funny.
    Kanki: Perceived as a bad youth, he's actually a good guy with his heart in the right place. He has some interesting hobbies that he feels judged for and can be very aggressive, even when being kind.
    Chie: A boisterous and outgoing girl who watches a lot of kung fu movies and eats a lot of steak. She's very kind hearted and does her best to stand up for others.
    Main Character (Yu): Moved to Inaba for a year to live with his uncle and discovers the hidden TV world. He is a blank slate for you to play how you want.
    Rise: An idol who needs some time away from the spotlight to learn who the real Rise is outside of the public eye. She has some insecurities but is overall outgoing, flirty, and not afraid to speak her mind.
    Yosuke: One of Yu's first friends, his father runs the local Junes department store that is running local stores out of business. He's also from a big town and often feels ostrasized because of his dad's job.
    Naoto: A young detective also investigating the murder cases who worries about being taken seriously because of persona reasons. A bit standoffish at first, but opens up later on.
    Teddie: A mysterious bear who lives in the TV world. Always making terrible puns and hitting on all of the ladies (and sometimes dudes). He feels lonely when the others are away and very much wants friends.

Overall:
    While the game has some annoying faults to it, I found myself enjoying it more as time went on. Depending on the period in the game, I sometimes felt my interest waning, but then it would pick back up again and the cycle would repeat. The message of truth and self-acceptance is definitelty one that hit me in a personal way, and I was excited to see how the others resolved their individual stories. There were a lot of characters I really liked and not many I disliked, which is major points for this game. And of course I loved the social aspect, the dating sim, and the outfits changes. Overall it was a lot of fun, although it did drag on sometimes, and I definitely plan to play it again.

Verdict:
    LIKED IT A LOT

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Your top four favorite characters, is my favorite party. I really like what they did with Yukiko in Golden. In the original, she was little weird. But in Golden they played that up and also gave her some good snark.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh really, how was she weird?

EDIT:
    Sorry I hope that didn't come off like I don't believe you, I'm just very curious about what was changed!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I phrased that wrong . She was weird in both of them. The snark was new though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The King of Fighters XIII (PlayStation 3)

The King of Fighters XIII is the conclusion of the "Ash Saga" that started with The King of Fighters 2003. It features fighters from a variety of SNK games brought together in to this one game, much like the previous KOF games. I should note that this is my first King of Fighters game and so I cannot comment on changes or compare to previous entries in the series.

The story is about some bad guys trying to control the Gate of Time and some bad guy named Orochi and his revival of sorts. The game does have a Story Mode, but if you haven't played the other games, the story can come off as a bit hard to follow since you might not know who's who. But the Story Mode allows you to revisit scenes and fights and select different options to unlock more of the story.

This game is, of course, a fighting game. Unlike most fighting games, however, you do not simply fight with one character, but rather with three. For Story Mode, there are assigned "teams" to choose from, but in other modes you are free to select any three characters. When a battle begins, you will select the order you want the characters to fight in by pressing the button assigned to them. Once battle starts, you'll use your first character, followed by the second when that character is K.O.'d, followed by your third selection.

Aside from Story Mode, you also have Arcade Mode, Mission Mode (which has things such as Survival and Time Attack), Training, Practice, and a few more. And there are online matches, although I haven't tried them myself. You can also customize each character with different colour schemes, on top of the pallet swaps already offered.

As you fight, there are gauges that fill up, which allow for special moves and super special moves and neo max super special moves. You can check the command menu for each character to see how to execute these moves, and some will require some of your gauges to be full, which can be filled by doing things like attacking and getting hit. In Story Mode, you can also complete optional objectives, which can help fill your gauges and/or give you bonus points.

Characters:
    Ordered by favourite to least favourite TEAM:
    Psycho Soldier Team: Left to right: Chin Gentsai from KOF, Athena from Psycho Soldier, and Sie Kensou from Psycho Soldier
    K' Team: Left to right: Maxima from KOF, K' from KOF, and Kula Diamond from KOF
    Woman Fighters Team: Left to right: Yuri Sakazaki from Art of Fighting, Mai Shiranui from Fatal Fury, and King from Art of Fighting
    Japan Team: Left to Right: Goro Daimon from KOF, Kyo Kusanagi from KOF, and Benimaru Nikaido from KOF
    Elisabeth Team: Left to right: Shen Woo from KOF, Elisabeth Blacnctorch from KOF, and Duo Lon from KOF
    Ikari Warriors Team: Left to right: Clark from Ikari Warriors, Leona from KOF, and Ralf Jones from Ikari Warriors
    Fatal Fury Team: Left to right: Joe Higashi from Fatal Fury, Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury, and Andy Bogard from Fatal Fury
    Yagami Team: Left to Right: Mature from KOF, Iori Yagami from KOF, and Vice from KOF
    Kim Team: Left to right: Hwa Jai from Fatal Fury, Kim Kaphwan from Fatal Fury, and Raiden from Fatal Fury
    Art of Fighting Team: Left to right: Takuma Sakazaki from Art of Fighting, Ryo Sakazaki from Art of Fighting, and Robert Garcia from Art of Fighting
    Ash from KOF

Overall there were a lot of things I liked about this game. It had character customization, a lot of characters to choose from, and the characters also get special, personalized interaction which each other when fighting, which to me was an excellent touch. But I am not good at combos and pressing several buttons and for someone like me, this game was quite difficult. I could sometimes pull of special moves, but nothing higher than that, which can certainly make a huge difference. It's not the most button masher friendly, although I did have a bit of an easier time using the analogue stick rather than the arrow keys. So while it had a lot that I liked, I'm just really really bad at it.

Verdict:
    IT WAS OKAY