Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin's Video Game Diary!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Yeah she looks about 12 and tries to pass as such occasionally.
    Yeah, that's kinda freaky.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

She does it to get out of responsibilities. "I can't do the thing, you couldn't ask that of a kid" and such. It's basically a joke. While I don't agree with them making a 40 year old woman look 12, I can actually appreciate the fact that there is a 40 year old woman. RPG's seem to hate the idea of having anyone over 25, except for the occasional "battle hardened veteran" who happens to be like... 32. Let alone having women in their 40's. So while it wasn't done in the best way, it's a start, I think

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Nintendo DS)

In Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, you play as newbie defense lawyer Phoenix Wright as he attempts to save his clients from the "Guilty" verdict and prove their innocence. You'll usually have a helper of some sort with you to give you help and tips and add to the general shenanigans of the trials as well. There are a total of five cases to complete and they represent the five episodes of the game.

The game has two major parts to it: The trails and the investigations. At the beginning of each episode you will discover your case. meet your client, and learn of the crime. From there you will either go to a trial or an investigation, and there is plenty of both to complete in each case.

During a trial, you will hear a witness testimony. From there you must cross-examine the witness to find any contradictions in their testimony. You can press them for further details, or you can present evidence that points out a contradiction. Don't just present anything for no reason though, you'll be given strikes for each thing you do wrong. When your five exclamation points are gone, you could be putting your clients freedom on the line. During trials you will also be prompted with questions and you'll have to select the correct answer or risk getting more strikes.

During the investigative phases, you will go to different areas, examining crime scenes and locations, talking to different people and asking them questions pertaining to the trial, and sometimes present to them a piece of evidence in order to further their willingness to talk to you. This is also the main way you'll be gathering evidence for the trail. You will switch between investigations and trails many times throughout each episode.

Overall I can't say I was completely enamoured with the game. The cases tended to get drug out way too long and I overall disliked the investigative sections. The game had more plot holes than swiss cheese, and while obviously the game couldn't be exactly like real lawyering, it seemed so far removed that it broke the immersion for me. Stealing things that were just accepted as evidence without a second thought, having to prove an innocence rather than a guilt, a grossly incompetent judge. If I didn't know any better I would have thought I was the prosecution from the way the trials take place. Other than Detective Gumshoe around the 4th case, none of the characters really grabbed me or made me care about them, although they did get better by the end of it. Also I turned off the music early on because the sound effects annoyed me at first, but when I turned them back on later, the music made a huge difference as far as atmosphere. The game did have some good points, like the music. The cases were sometimes interesting and it was neat how things would tie together in the end. Overall I would say the game got better by the end, although sadly most of it just felt like a chore. With that being said, it did improve enough towards the end that I will at some point give the second game a chance. Don't let my opinion dissuade you though, the game is hugely popular and has it's good points. It just personally wasn't the most engaging or fun thing for me personally.

Verdict:
    MEH

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ah yes, a classic. Too bad you didn't enjoy it much, I consider it a pretty fun game. I like how it utterly flip-flops between comedically silly and pretty serious, like THE FREAKING PARROT right in the middle of a totally serious trial. I suppose it helps that I took a liking to most of the characters. Judge is hilarious.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's good to see I'm not the only person on Earth who just doesn't get the hype. Gumshoe is pretty adorbs, tho

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I threw paper at my boyfriend when he said the blue badger was stupid I was like "DETECTIVE GUMSHOE WORKED HARD ON THAT YOU HORRIBLE PERSON"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, he did, but he is kind of an idiot. Which is why we love him.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The only thing that really drives me bonkers with the first game is how they buildup that past trial with the Feys mother in level 2, and then when they show it in level 4. With the way it was described and the way it was shown it may as well be two completely different cases. You had two guys and a kid in an elevator, you needed a spirit medium to figure out who killed who!?

Also, so many of those objections would so not hold up, but it's a Japanese game with obvious anime inspiration and a girl who takes the body of her dead sister and nobody ever notices, so I can let that slide. >.> Justice for All does a better job of shortening the trials so they don't feel as long as they did in the first one. Though I personally never been all that crazy with the investigation scenes. My favorite parts is when you're at court.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I will agree that the court segments are the best of Phoenix Wright, but the investigation parts get more streamlined and less... aggravating, I guess, as the series progresses.

Probably the worst episode for investigating is 'Turnabout Samurai'. That case really didn't require three separate investigative segments. 'Rise from the Ashes' is also worth mentioning for being so damn long, but at least some parts of the investigation were noteworthy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

But it also had the worst character ever. I hated Ems Skye so muuuch

Articles
    Blog Entries

Eh, she's alright. I liked that she was actually integral to the story of the case and unlike Maya you actually end up talking to HER as well to get information.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I rather enjoyed Ema Skye, actually. I liked that she really took an interest in the sciences and was willing to be helpful in a more practical fashion at times. She proved an interesting counter-point to Maya's companionship, which dealt much more with spiritual affairs. I honestly wouldn't have minded her appearing more. (she does appear in the fourth game, but that's enough of the spoiling).

Articles
    Blog Entries

She reminded me of Maya too much at times, which I guess was the point, but still.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, that's what bothered me. She was a replacement goldfish for Maya whom I'd grown attached to. Plus, she was pretty mean-spirited in my experience. She seemed to tease Phoenix much more than Maya, and in a seemingly much more deliberate way than her. Definitely not a fan.