Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn based RPG vs Action RPG?

Default Turn based RPG vs Action RPG?

Which do you like better and why? And what would you suggest for a game that has the option of using squads and tactics for taking out enemies in built up places like warehouses?

Turn based if it's done well. Action RPGs make it almost impossible to control a party and generally imply you'll only control 1 character. Controlling a party is better for fitting in with a story, in my view. If you've come to value them as a valuable fighter, I think it does add to your connection with them as a character. Which is why I always loved Yuna and Celes but didn't care when Aeris died.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

They both have their advantages, but I like turn based better because there are plenty of other genres that can make an action game that much better. I like to be all strategic and stuff. Makes me feel all smart and stuff. Oreos have white stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Turn based if it's done well. Action RPGs make it almost impossible to control a party and generally imply you'll only control 1 character. Controlling a party is better for fitting in with a story, in my view. If you've come to value them as a valuable fighter, I think it does add to your connection with them as a character. Which is why I always loved Yuna and Celes but didn't care when Aeris died.
    ^ definitely. Having a party is endemic to RPGs for me, one of the things it borrows from its tabletop roots.

The WRPG action RPG I really get behind is The Elder Scrolls but the game is more about discovery than its RPG elements. Hence why it didn't get nearly as much flak as it should have for eliminating so many of its RPG elements.

I did like Deus Ex Human Revolution though and thought it worked pretty well for a shooter.

At some point I made the switch to action-RPG. It just happened. I think I was born with it. I told my friends and family. Some disowned me.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Depends on the definition of action RPG being used here.

If you mean as in Diablo, then hell yes, that's one of the greatest genres ever.

If you mean as in TES/Deus Ex, then I have no preference really. (TES and Deus Ex are two of my favorite series of all time but it's because of the lore, not the game genre.)

Probably of greater importance to me overall is whether or not the main character is a "blank slate" that I can mold and shape to my liking. I tend to prefer those types of characters over ones with pre-set personalities.
    Last edited by Pike; 03-22-2015 at 10:46 AM.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

As much as I like a good turn-based RPG, I do prefer aRPGs. They're so much fun!

Turn Based ones tend to be a lot more methodical, I think would be a good term to use here. I tend to prefer that over the more action oriented. I do love both though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

KH, Diablo and Bioware games like KotOR and Mass Effect are my favourites, so action RPG it is I guess. I also think games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age let you control a party just fine, and the combat is still more exciting than a turn based system imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    KH, Diablo and Bioware games like KotOR and Mass Effect are my favourites, so action RPG it is I guess. I also think games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age let you control a party just fine, and the combat is still more exciting than a turn based system imo.
    See, I'm sort of on the opposite side here. KotOR and Dragon Age had combat so abysmal that I had to cheat in order to get through it and enjoy the storyline. Dragon Age II improved on the combat quite a bit, but it still wasn't good, and Inquisition has gone right back to being a genuinely awful combat experience. BioWare did have fun gameplay with the Mass Effect franchise, though. I'll give them that.

Diablo can be fun in short bursts, but it gets pretty mind-numbing if you go at it too long (not to mention flat-out unplayable when Blizzard decides to make melee classes worthless every new patch).

I definitely prefer turn based or ATB.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I prefer turn based because I like having time to devise my next move and some relative predictability of when my action and the enemy's action will occur.

I also like complexity in the battles and that is more easily accomplished in a turn-based system. When things happen in real time then there is either a) less stuff available for you to do, or b) too much that it is so complicated that you get frustrated and give up only to keep mashing the attack button.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I have always liked action RPG games, role playing shooters and real-time RPGs.
    I like the extra challenge that comes with "thinking on your toes" and with managing your squad (if you have one) in real time. Mass Effect 1-3 and RTS games like Command & Conquer have made me a stategist and a damn good one too. I don't fret when my real-time attack plans go south, I always have a back-up plan and think every encounter through.
    Ride with the steel and the power of the sword.
    Stand up and fight now and forever more.
    Rise through the night sky with daylight's desire.
    To be free there must be Black Fire.
    Black Fire by DragonForce. \m/

Articles
    Blog Entries

Turn based, but only if it's something along the lines of FFXII because I hate random encounters with a passion.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Turn based usually, but it depends

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Turn-Based is my favorite, I actually don't care much for Action-RPG style battle systems.