Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you answer unknown calls?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Lol Night Fury that's epic! xD

Also Tori I never even knew that you could set passwords for voicemail.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

I can't remember the last time I had a cold call, but I answer every call I receive.

I know the 'amusing' thing for people to do is to piss around with the person on the other end of the phone, but if it's a cold call I just politely tell them I'm not interested and put the phone down.
    Most of the time the person is just a kid on the other end of the line working for next to no money (probably on commission) in a job that is making their life hell. They don't need me adding to that by stringing them along like an arsehole, they're just trying to get by.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I think no one has called me in the last 5 months. lol
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World View Post
    What is wrong with most of you? Of course I answer it, it could be important. And the 'if it was important they would leave a message' bulltrout isn't a good excuse to not answer your phone. It could be too urgent to leave a message.

If you ignore a call because you don't know the phone number, then you are just being a dick.
    You aren't obligated to answer a phone call because someone calls you. If they leave a message, then it's a social contract that you should fulfill and call the person back (if you feel like it). Otherwise, it could be a random stranger, it could be someone whose number you deleted because you don't want to talk to them anymore, it could be a telemarketer. If it's important, people will leave a message and get in contact with you. If it isn't, them they don't.

Unknown numbers do not get the privilege of being answered!
    Of course you're not obligated to answer anything, not even people you know or like!
    I didn't know people actually left messages anyway. I mean I know some people have voicemail thingies but I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone leaving a message on those.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well I'm gonna relax this rule now. I just answered an unknown call and it turns out that I've won the Nigerian lottery! I don't even remember entering! I'm gonna have a cheque for £7,000,000 pounds drop on my doormat in 6-8 weeks. 7 MILLION.

All I had to do was provide him with all my personal details, bank sort code and account number, online banking log in details and then just send him my passport.

You may not see me post for a while guys as there won't be a great wifi signal on my new yacht. Enjoy your poverty, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post

I know the 'amusing' thing for people to do is to piss around with the person on the other end of the phone, but if it's a cold call I just politely tell them I'm not interested and put the phone down.
    Most of the time the person is just a kid on the other end of the line working for next to no money (probably on commission) in a job that is making their life hell. They don't need me adding to that by stringing them along like an arsehole, they're just trying to get by.
    Also, the shadier ones are happy to sell along your number to whoever else might want to call you. Don't mess with telemarketers, it is funny for about 10 minutes and then you'll face the Wrath of the Cold Caller for weeks to come.

And many calls (especially the ones where you answer and there's a silence before a recorded message) are kind of recon calls, you answer and you're added to a list of idiots who answer phone calls from unknown numbers.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I will say that I only act on to the scam calls, if it's ever charity cold calling I'll be polite and say no and cut it short - the scams though.... They get the terror! I've had a guy get aggressive to me on a scam call once the wee troute. Makes me feel sick to think of how many old people they dupe!!!!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

No. If someone is calling me with their phone number masked its either a prank call or a telemarketer.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I get loads and I never answer. I Google the number afterwards and it's invariably a telemarketer and so the number gets added to my blocked callers list.
    Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    If the unknown number is from my area code I will answer, but if it's from outside the state I will just google the number later and see who/what it was.
    How can you tell if an unknown call is from your area? Is there some kind of trick to see the number?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I think we're talking about calls where you see the telephone number, but don't know whose number it is.

Unknown numbers, not hidden numbers.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I'll usually answer them but stay completely silent until either I recognize the voice or am 100% sure it's important before I speak up. If it's telemarketers or a wrong number I'll usually just hang up.

Blog Entries

I do, as for all I know it's an emergency. I don't get spam calls, haven't had any since adding myself to the Telephone Preference Service.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

If it's an emergency, they'll leave a message and I'll phone them back immediately.

Basically I never answer my phone ever.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    I do, as for all I know it's an emergency.
    This is key for me. Someday one of you might get a call from someone to let you know someone is dying, or that they are lost and had to use a stranger's phone and need help, these things might not happen often but they can happen. Remind me to not let any of you be listed as my emergency contact!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Thinking about it, I *only* get unknown calls from weird numbers from Jamaica and 08 numbers which I don't trust.

If it were a mobile number I didn't recognise though, I'd probably answer unless I am unable to do so. Such as being at work! 2-3 hours straight that I am unable to check my phone. xD Leaving messages is pretty much the only guaranteed way to get a hold of me.

I don't get calls from other mobile numbers or even 01 or 02 numbers so I guess it doesn't really make too much difference for me.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Of course, otherwise it will remains a mystery and I will die with regrets!

PS: My armpit will itch when I have regrets.