Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next Gen Nintendo System Code-named "NX"

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    The "new membership device" thing they mention is interesting to me.

What I'd like to see with it: Nintendo goes all out chasing retro gamers. Get an absolutely gigantic catalog of games from old Nintendo systems (and get Sega in on it too.) Then make it so any games you buy are tied to your account and playable on any supported systems. Imagine buying Pokemon (or whatever) once and then being able to download it on NX, 3DS, PC and your phone.

That's what I want to see. Come on Nintendo! Make it happen!
    Man if they did this can you even fathom how much money Nintendo would make? Buy a game once, play it across all your N systems, and with the current love of emulating old games Nintendo's back catalog puts them in a better position than any other game company, nevermind if they can get other folks like SEGA on board.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Every company is always working on its next console and Iwata has already hinted that Nintendo wants a unified network of devices next time around. All we have is a codename, with Nintendo clarifying we won't hear anything more about this device until 2016.

The only reason they've announced it is because of the real bombshell that came out today - Nintendo is finally licensing its IPs for mobile games. It cannot be understated what a dramatic shift this represents. Iwata had adamantly rejected Nintendo software ever appearing on other devices, explaining to angry shareholders why Nintendo must stay in hardware at all costs. This announcement assures their hardcore fans and conservative shareholders that they are committed to hardware, while preventing others from taking today's news to its extreme conclusion.

To the old guard, it's always been too small step to go from this:

To this:

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just going to throw it out there that Mario 3 on a phone would be awful. I know it's just an example you used of course, but it really would be awful.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah that's probably of why these games are going to be licensed to mobile devs and made for that platform. I think they actually ruled out bringing a virtual console to mobile.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I'll be pretty annoyed if this ends up being, like, the Wii U successor, a full fledged console that cost full fledged console price. I dropped $300 on a Wii U less than a year ago, and Nintendo's track record for supporting their consoles once a successor comes along is not good.
    I like Kung-Fu.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I'll be pretty annoyed if this ends up being, like, the Wii U successor, a full fledged console that cost full fledged console price. I dropped $300 on a Wii U less than a year ago, and Nintendo's track record for supporting their consoles once a successor comes along is not good.
    Don't sweat it. You can still work through the awesome back catalogue. I heard those three games are very good!