Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me XV demo details!

Very soon I will be streaming it so whoever wants to watch is is invited to do so.

Not sure if anybody cares, but here are some of the new songs from the demo:

Somnus - Instrumental Violin version
    Daytime Battle Theme
    Night/Cave Battle Theme
    Camping Theme

Chocobo Theme, Summon theme missing. There's also a new edit version for Omnis Lacrima that appears in the demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Caelum View Post
    Since I don't have a PS4, I can't go out and get it yet. And I won't be getting a PS4 for Type-0. If XV was coming out... well, that's a whole different story.

Why not get a PS4 for both Type 0 and 15?

Lack of funds, really. I mean I'll get Type-0 eventually, but it's $70 in Canada. Along with the PS4, which will be $500 with tax. I most definitely do not want Type-0 that badly. I'll save the money and buy one when XV is out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I dunno why I would be so annoyed if it turns out Stella was renamed. The game isn't out yet, the character would still be the same, it makes absolutely no sense that I would be annoyed if we had Luna Nox Fleuret but not Stella Nox Fleuret.

Yet I would be. Here's hoping sisters!
    You're annoyed because you want two women instead of one.
    THIS IS A VERY PLAUSIBLE HYPOTHESIS!

Although if Stella were in and Luna was dropped, I don't think I'd mind that.

Not sure if anybody cares, but here are some of the new songs from the demo:

I like Shimomura in general, but she's really stepping up her game here!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FFFFsephychibi View Post
    This demo was worth the 9 year wait
    When someone says a demo was worth a 9 year wait...

...I can't help but feel somewhat optimistic.
    I'M GOING TO SLEEP NOW SO THAT WHEN I WAKE IT'S ONLY 1 MORE SLEEP TO GO.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Just finished it and I have to say the most interesting portion by far was the ending. It was so confusing in all the right ways, and raised so many questions I'm dying to know the answers to. I feel like I did the first time I saw the Kingdom Hearts secret ending all those years ago.

The demo itself was great though. It's a beautiful game, though it's obvious that more tweaking needs to be done and that they were just trying to get the demo out without really optimizing anything. This is further evident by how many features are flat out missing and inaccessible.

Honest I can't understand why anyone would complain about the English voice acting. It's great. All the conversations sound realistic and natural, and everyone's voice fits their character perfectly, except maybe Cidney's. She's laying on that stereotypical southern accent a tad thick in my opinion.

The (SPOILER)Ramuh summon is INCREDIBLE OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST IT'S AWESOME. No really, everything from the animations, to how he comes out, to the FREAKING MUSIC is just fantastic.

The battle system feels really awkward and strange at first and takes a lot of getting used to. After four or so hours with the demo I still don't quite have defense/parrying down and still end up getting smacked around a lot. But it's quite fun none the less!

Hmm what else...oh yeah, exploring that one cave was really fun too, as was the (SPOILER)stealth portion where you tail the behemoth which felt so...different to be in an FF game, as did all the real world stuff, like all those cars, and that gas station, and the vacant billboard.

So, yeah, I'm extremely happy with what we've been given so far. If there's one bad thing I can say about the demo, it's that it made me anxious to play the actual game 100x more than before and I have no idea when that's finally going to happen. Before 2017, I hope.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Details about Cidney that I caught. I'm just spoilering in case anyone really doesn't want to know yet. They definitely called her Cindy. The subtitles agree as well. She talks about her dad, and I'm pretty certain the party references him as Cid. It seems when we were told that we would have to wait to find out if she was "the Cid" of this game that she actually isn't. Just his daughter. I wonder if the ambiguity had to do with the possibility that they may receive backlash from her, so they just made the decision to not make her "the Cid" rather than changing her design. Maybe not. I'll have to go through that scene again to see if I'm remembering wrong though as I had to rush out the door for work as soon as I got to the end of the main objectives of the demo

I enjoyed the demo. I need to see more of the game though. I'm intrigued how summoning is going to work, and I'm also interested in seeing how magic comes into play. I'm digging the monster design, and I'm interested in seeing what other varieties of things appear. I also LOVE the music. There are some technical things, but I'm certain that will all be fixed in the final build. This isn't even the final version of the engine the game is running in. I wish we could have ridden Chocobos as that would have made traversing the place a little less tedious. I also hope there is a little more variety in the things the party says in battles and as your wandering in the final game.

All in all, it just felt so good and monumental finally playing this game after all of these years. I was getting goosebumps the moment the title screen popped up!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Since I don't have a PS4, I can't go out and get it yet. And I won't be getting a PS4 for Type-0. If XV was coming out... well, that's a whole different story.

Why not get a PS4 for both Type 0 and 15?

Lack of funds, really. I mean I'll get Type-0 eventually, but it's $70 in Canada. Along with the PS4, which will be $500 with tax. I most definitely do not want Type-0 that badly. I'll save the money and buy one when XV is out though.[/INDENT]

[/COLOR]
    It's as expensive in canada as it is elsewhere, as a canadian dollar isn't worth as much as an US dollar. It's 480 kr in norway, which is actually more than 70 cad, but I still consider it a pretty cheap game. However, I actually preordered it for 30 british pounds (roughly 360 kr) some time ago, so I saved a decent amount there. I don't have a PS4 yet though.
    Last edited by Mirage; 03-19-2015 at 10:43 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

There are 2 objectives in the game which I found while observing the post sign.
    One was to eliminate the sabertusks and the other the alpha garulas.
    I find defeating the alpha garulas quest, astoundingly difficult. I died (game over) 7 times and was at level 32 at the time. No help from summon or phantom swords. Has anyone tried this? There were 2 alpha garulas in the area close to the gas station. My fight lasted 2 straight days and I still couldn't beat the herd. The soldiers, sabertusks, goblins, night sabertusks keep interfering with my focus. My team was practically decimated. There was only me and gladio left. And our HP will only heal up to 1/3 of our full HP. Prompto died within 3 minutes into the fight, Ignis after 1 days worth. I didn't bother using phoenix downs, coz I know Prompto will just end up dying again. Come the third day, Noct was too tired to fight anymore, and I let him die...........

And someone mentioned you could fight a tonberry at night in the cave.....Is this true?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Sounds like the game can pose quite a challenge! Bearing in mind that in the final game enemies will likely have certain elemental weakness and stuff that aren't available here due to magic not being implemented. I look forward to getting hands on with this tomorrow. NO...TODAY. OMG IT'S TYPE-0 LAUNCH DAAAAAAAAY \o/
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    Sounds like the game can pose quite a challenge! Bearing in mind that in the final game enemies will likely have certain elemental weakness and stuff that aren't available here due to magic not being implemented. I look forward to getting hands on with this tomorrow. NO...TODAY. OMG IT'S TYPE-0 LAUNCH DAAAAAAAAY \o/

I liked the challenge, I will try again. I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't fight the catoblepas. I'm going to try beat the Behemoth without summon/phantom sword as well. Getting the right timing for parry is key. Plus, drain blades during low HP and Tempest when all enemies surround you is key. This strategy feels very final fantasy to me. Overall, it's a huge improvement for SE. The only problem I have is getting to focus on the enemies and locking it down, especially when there's multitudes of them coming from every direction. People who aren't used to Action RPG will be quite pissed........

Articles
    Blog Entries

Long post is long.

I just finished it, my initial impressions are this. The battle system itself is awesome apart from a few flaws that really detract from it, the main one being that I absolutely HATE the targeting system. While battling you are forced to wildly swing the camera around all over the place while you hold R1 or mash it until you are targeting the enemy that you want. In the demo at least it didn't seem like L2 and R2 were mapped to anything so would it have been so difficult to have R1 lock on to someone permanently and then use those two buttons to cycle through enemies a la Kingdom Hearts or Type-0? This gripe was alleviated somewhat when I raised the camera sensitivity, because by default it is soooo slooooow, and when enemies are flying all over the place it was super frustrating trying to keep track of the same one. This also screwed with the warping system because one of the ways you regain health is to warp to higher ground, but half the time I could not for the life of me lock on to the higher ground I wanted to warp to. I would try to target it and just end up locking on to behemoths ass or some random enemy, very frustrating.

Anyway, that is the bad, luckily there is a lot more good. The combat system itself is very fun and has a lot more depth to it than i thought it would. Considering that you're really only holding down one button a lot of the time there is a lot of room for experimenting and I don't think I'd even tried out all the weapon combinations by the time the demo finished. I look forward to there hopefully being more weapons and abilities in the main game to experiment with. The AI seems decent for the most part, you're not constantly having to revive them or anything and they do a decent job of coming to your aid when you're in a low health state (although in the later game I found they were taking ages to revive me for whatever reason. I think as the enemies get stronger and there are more of them your party are too preoccupied to heal your or something). It did seem like I was doing basically all of the damage in the party though, and my character is supposedly a lower level, hopefully the main game will come with some kind of AI setting that lets you select how each party member behaves.

Visuals were decent. They definitely seemed better when I was watching the trailers for the game, but it's very obvious this demo isn't optimized so hopefully they get that sorted out by the time the full version is released. The framerate gets bogged down pretty hard sometimes, and despite the scenery being breathtaking in design I feel like the graphics don't really do it justice. Pretty sure all of these things will be fixed though. Those are all real nitpicks though, the battle animations look amazing and if you're not looking too far into the distance the game looks pretty stunning. There is a moment where you have to track behemoth through some mist though and the foggy effect really hurt my eyes to look at, that may just be me though.

The music was amazing, which shouldn't come as any surprise, and I played with the English voice acting and that was also awesome I thought. It's very stereotypical, but the flow of conversation is great, nothing they say is too cheesy, and it definitely works to show you the bond between the characters. That said, Cindy's voice was irritating, and saying things like "Y'all come back now, y'hear?" didn't help matters.

I think that's about everything, I'll probably post more after I play more, I want to see if the camera gets any easier to work with as you play more, and I only gave the entire map a quick once over, so I don't feel like I've truly explored a lot of it.

TL;DR Fun demo, looking forward to the full game. They really need to fix the targeting system.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Details about Cidney that I caught. I'm just spoilering in case anyone really doesn't want to know yet. They definitely called her Cindy. The subtitles agree as well. She talks about her dad, and I'm pretty certain the party references him as Cid. It seems when we were told that we would have to wait to find out if she was "the Cid" of this game that she actually isn't. Just his daughter. I wonder if the ambiguity had to do with the possibility that they may receive backlash from her, so they just made the decision to not make her "the Cid" rather than changing her design. Maybe not. I'll have to go through that scene again to see if I'm remembering wrong though as I had to rush out the door for work as soon as I got to the end of the main objectives of the demo
    It's just weird, cause in the Japanese version (SPOILER)she's named Cidney, obviously a nod to her Cid heritage, and so I just don't understand why they would completely remove that in the translation - especially when Cideny (Sidney) is a western name. Based on things Tabata said in the past (like, "you'll have to play the demo to find out her connection to Cid") it seems that she was never intended to be the actual Cid, but why remove the cool connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Kozmos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    It's just weird, cause in the Japanese version (SPOILER)she's named Cidney, obviously a nod to her Cid heritage, and so I just don't understand why they would completely remove that in the translation - especially when Cideny (Sidney) is a western name. Based on things Tabata said in the past (like, "you'll have to play the demo to find out her connection to Cid") it seems that she was never intended to be the actual Cid, but why remove the cool connection?
    Yes, that is totally random. But I think the "connection to Cid" thing could have been meant as she very well is the female Cid just "connection" as in "relations/similiarities/characteristics to the character of Cid as we know them".

YOU DONT KNOW YET!?!?!? FFFFsephychibi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    While battling you are forced to wildly swing the camera around all over the place while you hold R1 or mash it until you are targeting the enemy that you want. In the demo at least it didn't seem like L2 and R2 were mapped to anything so would it have been so difficult to have R1 lock on to someone permanently and then use those two buttons to cycle through enemies a la Kingdom Hearts or Type-0? This gripe was alleviated somewhat when I raised the camera sensitivity, because by default it is soooo slooooow, and when enemies are flying all over the place it was super frustrating trying to keep track of the same one. This also screwed with the warping system because one of the ways you regain health is to warp to higher ground, but half the time I could not for the life of me lock on to the higher ground I wanted to warp to. I would try to target it and just end up locking on to behemoths ass or some random enemy, very frustrating..
    For those of you who are gonna play the demo and who are plying the demo, SE did not do a very good job of explaining the lock on system.

On Ps4:

Press R1 and then hold R1 for a second and release (or click r3) to lock onto an enemy, (you can't cycle) but this will stabilize the camera.

To warp to a tower to recover MP: (during battle only)

Tap R1 to lock off of an enemy, aim your camera at the top of the tower with the right stick (you will see blue warp circle) and press X

Once I figured this out combat was less chaotic, it's a shame they didn't explain it better.

I would agree having to press and hold R1 to actually lock is unneeded, it should just be press R1 and have a button to cycle(like kh1)
    I love how the enemies don't stand still and I think that they are always moving makes it challenging, it would be toooooo easy if they just stood there.
    Last edited by FFFFsephychibi; 03-20-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I knew all that, but that lock on to the warp tower thing does not work as easily as that explanation makes it seem. When you try aiming up at a tower it is still very likely you'll lock on to an enemy and warp to them instead, especially if that enemy is large like behemoth was. Also, the fact that you can't cycle means the only way to lock on to a specific target is to mash r1 while adjusting the camera slightly like I mentioned. It means you just have to attack whatever is closest to you basically and really makes the game less strategic as a result.

That is my impression after a few hours though, maybe it is a system that takes practice and gets better the more you get used to it, or maybe they will refine it slightly. Either way, it's definitely a source of frustration after putting hundreds of hours into a game like KH.