Thread: Send Help!

Default Send Help!

It's been about a year since I last played this game and, god help me, I'm playing it again!

It all started because a guy I'm following is Let's Playing it but that's no excuse. This game is terrible.
    The few characters that get development have it done poorly.
    Most of the party gets absolutely no development at all.
    To make them even more unnecessary, they're all mechanically the same so they're useless both in and out of combat.
    The worldbuilding is awful and makes no sense.
    Most every major plot point will implode your brain if you try to think about it and many of said plot points are just forgotten about after they're done with.

But i still like playing it... I still care about the characters. Well, some of them. I still have fun in spite of every logical part of my brain telling me not to. I have repeated that FFVIII is the worst game in the series for many years now and, objectively, that's true. But I'd still rather play this than FFXIII. (which had better characters. Like, infinitely better)

Clearly I am deranged and in need of some electroshock or something.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Is the game fun? Yes? That's all that matters.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

How is FFVIII being the worst in the series 'objectively' true? Please don't state personal opinion as fact. FFVIII was my very first Final Fantasy experience, so naturally it's my personal favourite (next to X and IX). To be honest I actually found it difficult to play VII after VIII and never quite understood the hype, though it did have its moments (materia system was awesome, Aeris scene, overall story etc).

And yes, the game is fun, especially when you start to understand the complex and subtle nuances of the junction system. Though admittedly the JS was hard to grasp at first and was never properly explained.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I do have to say people use the word "objectively" in all the wrong ways around this forum, particularly over the past year. I wonder if the rest of the internet has this issue, too...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Is the game fun? Yes? That's all that matters.
    BoB is objectively correct here.

Triple Triad along makes this game amazing. Also, Laguna's story still makes me sad T_T

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Final Fantasy is just another extension of the anime industry. The writers think they're smart, but infact it's nothing but a convulted mess, with cheeseball melodramatic diagloue, usually with highly moralistic incantations. For some reason, we still tend to play, and sort of like the stuff that they pump out - even when the majority of it is nonsense.

Final Fantasy VIII makes just as much, and as little sense, as the rest of the series. Due to its setting though, it feels the most human, a sort of neo-reality, which is probably why I like it. =)

To be fair to FFVIII, I think it does quite a good job in writing the characters in such a strong way that the plot seems like it makes sense all the way to the Trabia orphanage flashback. That's quite a long way in before it all falls to pieces and at that point I was just objectively able to roll with it.