Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man opens 80s-90s-style arcade hoping to revive arcade industry

Default Man opens 80s-90s-style arcade hoping to revive arcade industry

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/arcade...ail&soc_trk=ma

A man has opened an 80s-90s-style arcade in Nanuet, New York, about an hour away from New York City, hoping to revive interest in old-school public video gaming. While arcades are still big in Japan, in the United States, arcades have plummeted in popularity due to the advent of online gaming. Aside from Dave and Busters franchises, the only places I have found arcades today are in beachside tourist cities and towns. I live in northern New Jersey, close to New York City, and I have gone down to the Jersey Shore, particularly Atlantic City, many times, and I tend to visit the arcades there. It would be nice to see arcades make a comeback in America.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 04-11-2015 at 07:46 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

There was a mall near where I used to live in Georgia that had moved into an old department store space, and that was only around 6 years ago. It was pretty huge and had a big variety. I was happy to see it around, but it was definitely the only one it recent memory.

I'd go to something like this with friends, but I can see the appeal of it dying off with people like me dying off. Nostalgia, and all that.

Also, it sounds like he needs to advertise more.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I know a few pubs have tried doing something like this called Barcade. Not sure if its a chain or they just have the same name but we have one in Philly if you ever make it down here SM. Also, the Seaside Heights boardwalk has always been a great holdout for the arcade scene.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

This will survive for a few months. The entertainment infrastructure in the West today just isn't sympatico with arcade centre gaming anymore. I'm twenty seven and they where mostly dead when I was a kid.

I loved the one arcade we had while growing up. But where in the world are people going to get arcade stock from? I doubt companies like SEGA and Namco are translating their arcade versions of Tekken Tag or Virtua Fighter anymore. So do these people stock older arcade cabinets or are they importing them? I'd be interested, but I'm over an hour away from any big cities that would stock these kind of venues. And if it still required cash exchange and quarters I doubt I'd find it worth the trouble. If I could buy tokens off credit or actually use a credit card at a machine I'd be much more tempted though

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

There's an old school arcade near where I live. You pay by the hour for free play of any of the machines. It's really cool.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    There's an old school arcade near where I live. You pay by the hour for free play of any of the machines. It's really cool.
    See, that's a neat idea.

I was upset to see my local arcade close when I was younger, but if there were one in my city now (other than the pathetic attempt in my local cinema) I'd probably rarely set foot in it. I just don't have a desire for that format of gaming anymore.

Were this payment method adopted, however, I would be more inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post

I'm curious what the hourly rate was. I think the next biggest challenge for arcades is the obscene electric bill.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's $5 an hour or $10 for an all day pass. A great deal if you ask me! Here's the website:

http://www.highscoresarcade.com/

And now for my confession. I've never actually been here! I've only seen it and only learned about it when Miriel was very pregnant so we have been too busy to ever go here. I got to set aside a day and hit this place up.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I am a recluse. I think I would make an exception for that. That's cheaper than a visit to a zoo or similar events

That does sound like a pretty great rate. I hope they can keep the doors open.

It's pretty hard to be successful going against the status quo, people would rather play online shooters or local Mario Kart.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

eSport bars are the only substitute we have today for social gatherings, in person, around video game geekdom. What somebody needs to do is start a business that caters to parties of gamers, in a karaoke style system. The main business is drinks and food, but themed around the playing of video games. You will have to forfeit the whole arcade business, it's a non-starter, it's an old banger that is ready for the scrapyard. Install game systems, modern systems, in booths with a few public areas available for people to just gather and meet new people. A flat rate for say 3 hours or so, make the rest of the money on people getting merry and eating plenty of delicious food.

Video Game Restaurant and Bar. The future! Now, who wants to go into business with me?

Articles
    Blog Entries

That's pretty cool and if I lived anywhere near there I would pay that place a visit.

I mainly played arcades at the local theaters, and even now the theater we frequent still have arcades, but they're usually of games you seldom ever hear of. I think one of the Pizza Huts out here still has a single arcade. I used to play Mega Man at that place years ago. At the movie theaters Area 51, Gauntlet Legends, the X-Men Arcade game, and MK4 came through there. Good times.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    eSport bars are the only substitute we have today for social gatherings, in person, around video game geekdom. What somebody needs to do is start a business that caters to parties of gamers, in a karaoke style system. The main business is drinks and food, but themed around the playing of video games. You will have to forfeit the whole arcade business, it's a non-starter, it's an old banger that is ready for the scrapyard. Install game systems, modern systems, in booths with a few public areas available for people to just gather and meet new people. A flat rate for say 3 hours or so, make the rest of the money on people getting merry and eating plenty of delicious food.

Video Game Restaurant and Bar. The future! Now, who wants to go into business with me?
    An esports bar would probably be a great place to also put some arcade cabinets. Put your tip in the arcade machine!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?