Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chapter One Discussion - ***Chapter One Spoilers Inside***

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Honestly, I think the being alone kind of thing is part of what made it so powerful.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm watching a video LP, can I talk too?

The chocobo made me more than anything else

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah I agree with Psy that the opening didn't provide a whole lot of context as to why I should care about any of this. The four countries with the crystals are cool but why is one attacking the other one? Also that scene with the dude and his dying chocobo was looooooong and without some clue as to what its significance was or who these people are, I couldn't really get into it.

The game is fun so far and I like trying out all the characters. I also like the time limit on side activities. It really makes you think about how you spend your time and makes that time spent to be more significant. The battles are cool but the controls take some getting used to. The spinning screen when you move the camera is disorienting and probably the worst part so far.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

To be fair, the war and the reason why is the bulk of the story of the game. The stuff with the Chocobo and the guy at the start becomes one of the more interesting sidestories you can do via the Events between missions. It does require multiple playthroughs though (on both counts). It could be better told, but honestly I feel like it works better the way it's setup in Type-0 - it actually feels like a game in itself as you piece things together.

I mean it's not like FFVII explained within the first hour of the game, why you're blowing up a reactor besides "Shina-Ra are bad and Mako energy is bad."

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FFVII does kind of explain that it is to save the planet, and it doesn't throw out a whole bunch of country names and terminology in the first few minutes to confuse you. Your goal is simple: go blow up the reactor. As opposed to Type 0 with warring nations, crystal jammers and a whole bunch of military types talking about who knows what. Dropping the player into the action with little explanation is certainly a powerful storytelling device but there is a fine line between it being mysterious versus convoluted.

I appreciate that the chocobo scene has implications throughout the game and I've already learned more about it; it was just way to drawn out and gave too much screen time to a non player character at the start of a game.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

FFVII also does the very clever thing of having your avatar, Cloud, not care about the reasons for blowing up the reactor to begin with and as he discovers more he starts to care more, and the player along with him. Plus it didn't dump all of the party members on you from the word go with very little explanation as to who they are.

The chocobo soldier is a good story, but it's not told well. Which sums up Chapter One neatly.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Qu'mi is a bitch on Finis difficulty. Odin got 2 shot by the jammer lol. Took like 5 attempts before I managed it.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wtf is chapter 1?