Thread: Final Fantasy IX for Windows/Steam and PS4

Default Final Fantasy IX for Windows/Steam and PS4

Why is this not a thing yet?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You got my hopes up

Yeah, I don't even like the game, but when I saw this, I was all hopeful that it'd happen. I'm all for them releasing all their old (and new) games on PC and whatnot

I heard it was because they don't have the files for FFIX anymore. Not sure how true it is, though.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

To me, it is insane that someone would lose the source code and assets for a significant game like this. Especially when it's a supposedly serious company like SE. Then again, they also lost the assets for Kingdom Hearts, so idk.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

It may come to PS4 if Sony decide to milk more money out of their consumers by announcing Playstation 4 variants of their PS Classics lineup. I don't believe a Steam/PC version will ever appear since it was never ported to PC as part of its original release schedule. VII and VIII was a piece of cake to re-release.

I thought this was a real deal
    Oh welltumblr_m1vpvhEIh61rqfhi2o1_250.gif

But if they did want port it, I'll totally get it

They could still easily give it the HD treatment the same way they did with Kingdom Hearts. Except for the fact that it's a generation older so the resolution and aspect ratio may need some tweaking. I presume the PS4 has upscale abilities though so really only one of those things is a problem, and aspect ratios should be an easy fix

All-in-all, I don't think they need the assets to get something off the ground

I would absolutely adore an HD release of IX (especially for PC), but I feel like it's more complicated than we assume it is to 'just' upscale everything. And if they actually lost the assets like they did with Kingdom Hearts, I don't feel like they'll go through the effort of recreating everything.

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    To me, it is insane that someone would lose the source code and assets for a significant game like this. Especially when it's a supposedly serious company like SE. Then again, they also lost the assets for Kingdom Hearts, so idk.
    I can't believe this. This is frustrating & hilarious all in one balled up emotion.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I can't believe this. This is frustrating & hilarious all in one balled up emotion.
    Companies do stupid things. The BBC decided to delete huge quantities of its archives from its black and white days to 'save space'. Ironically, the best television shows that the BBC ever produced tend to come from these particular decades. Square-Enix has always seemed to suffer from a severe case of myopia though.

Bringing this game to steam would solve one of its main issues too if it were to ever happen: it's slow battle speed.

Quote Originally Posted by FFIX Choco Boy View Post
    I heard it was because they don't have the files for FFIX anymore. Not sure how true it is, though.
    That'd be such a huge shame if it were true.

The game's visuals were amazing, yet obstructed from the troutty compression needed for PS1. I've seen a lot of high resolution backgrounds that have been found lately (search for 'The Lost Art of Final Fantasy IX'), and they look incredible. It'd be so nice to have that kind of quality, along with tiny fix-ups like battle speed and loading speeds.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."