Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Year Was 1999...

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I registered at FFO in early '99 but rarely posted. I didn't become an active poster until that summer at FFWA, which obviously continued to later that year after the EoFF Ezboard was started.

I have to admit that I do not recall your user name, but it's been so damn long that I've forgotten many people.

Quote Originally Posted by JadenX View Post

From my crosspost at Final Fantasy Society, some other folks I knew or at least remember reading:

Tiara
    Emerald Aeris
    Timelord
    Princess Usa (not U.S.A.) and her brother... I want to say Tera something... Teraphor? It wasn't Terrapin.
    Edge (He did something with the capitalization... eDgE? EdGe?)
    Kain
    clOuD
    Arvynia
    Pixie
    Rinoa (There were many of them of course... but she a member of our goup. I forget other names she used.)
    Never Is A Promise
    Lilly Rinoa Landois
    Britt (Short for Britton :P)
    Magic
    Some guy who lived in the California desert and called programs "frogs" and called testers "froggers".
    Wow, nostalgia overload. I have no idea who Tiara, Pixie, Lilly Rinoa, or Magic are (and there have been many Rinoas and Kains). Arvy, Emerald Aeris, and Britt were all active at one point but are long gone. Erika (Usa) has appeared randomly before, but I didn't even know her brother posted. clOuD I haven't even heard of since his EzBoard (FF:ID) and my FFWA days. NIAP was great, though I don't even know where else he posted outside of tGA. And if we're thinking of the same Edge (although the one I'm thinking of Used raNdom Capitalization in His typing), I haven't seen or heard of him at all since 2000.

Some of those people I haven't talked to in 15 years.

EDIT: Also, krissy's real old name used to be Reno Leonhart.

People around 2002 prior love talking about the 'good ol days' so you'll probably end up getting some fine responses.

If you take of your nostalgia goggles though, everyone knows 05 was when the best years began.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In 1999 I was on AOL chat and an NYSNC forum. I had no interest in and wasn't even aware Final Fantasy existed until a year later, but didn't join this site until five years after that.

It is interesting how '05 had such a large influx of active and loyal members

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I registered at FFO in early '99 but rarely posted. I didn't become an active poster until that summer at FFWA, which obviously continued to later that year after the EoFF Ezboard was started.

I have to admit that I do not recall your user name, but it's been so damn long that I've forgotten many people.

Wow, nostalgia overload. I have no idea who Tiara, Pixie, Lilly Rinoa, or Magic are (and there have been many Rinoas and Kains). Arvy, Emerald Aeris, and Britt were all active at one point but are long gone. Erika (Usa) has appeared randomly before, but I didn't even know her brother posted. clOuD I haven't even heard of since his EzBoard (FF:ID) and my FFWA days. NIAP was great, though I don't even know where else he posted outside of tGA. And if we're thinking of the same Edge (although the one I'm thinking of Used raNdom Capitalization in His typing), I haven't seen or heard of him at all since 2000.

Some of those people I haven't talked to in 15 years.

EDIT: Also, krissy's real old name used to be Reno Leonhart.
    Eh, no worries. Like I say I didn't stick around the big communities for too long. I also went through handles like socks back then, so while Jaden was how I was initially known on Ezboard, I could have registered at EoFF under anything. Off the top of my head, Martyr, Verloran, Shattered Glass, prot, and Montgomery Wick were all used by me for a time at different forums.

I begged for a moderator position (and eventually admin) near the beginning of FF:ID and got it, but I don't think we were ever super active with the exception of a short-lived UBB clOuD set up that served as one of the splinter boards people migrated to after Tifa's 7th Heaven was shut down.

Tiara and Pixie were Ezboard handles, I'm not sure if they went by the same names elsewhere. I think Tiara did originally, at FFO. Lilly Rinoa Landois definitely posted at EoFF under that name. I looked up Arvynia and NIAP just yesterday on Facebook and shot them messages, but haven't heard back yet. Yes, random capitalization Edge! He was one of the admins at FF:ID before he and clOuD had a falling out. He started his own Ezboard before disappearing quite early into that era, as you mentioned. Part of me wants to say Magic and Britt were the same person, but that could be very wrong. I think one of the two got into amateur voice acting early in the decade.

clOuD created and tore down communities fairly often. His last used Ezboard account I know of was under the name Tooya in 2008, at his FF:ID Ezboard successor, Anime: In Depth. The last ten or so members of FF:ID posted there regularly until the same year. clOuD would disappear for long stretches before popping up again. I think the Ezboard hack that destroyed most of the old threads, as well as the transition to Yuku, contributed to killing off the community for good. The board still exists at http://animeid.yuku.com, though you have to be logged into a Yuku profile to see it. (At least initially, there was a way to migrate Ezboard accounts to the Yuku platform.)

Wow, yeah. Nostalgia overload.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In 1999 I was frequenting Tomb Raider forums and chatrooms. I was ten/eleven and had yet to discover Final Fantasy.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Wait. I've been hanging around here for over fifteen years? I feel sick.

I mean, hi! There's a bunch of great people around here, eh?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Alas, my understanding is that Lilly Rinoa Landois passed away.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Britt used BrittK 007 before changing to Britt.

There was also Kefkathethird, but he hasn't stuck around since I joined EoFF.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Kefka was the lovable loon, wasn't he? Definitely remember him from FFO, if he was one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Alas, my understanding is that Lilly Rinoa Landois passed away.
    I've been quite devastated since reading this earlier today. Lilly and I had a brief online relationship (or whatever passes for one as a lonely, emotionally inept teenager who's just discovered the internet) that I handled quite poorly. I remember she was very sweet.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I think that might be the same. He, Britt, and I were part of some Nintendo forum on ezboard that was owned by a friend I knew from earlier. We formed somewhat of a kinship there and teamed up with two others to create a "Fearsome Five" based on the characters of Gundam Wing. It was awesome. When I found out that Britt and Kefka were at EoFF, I followed suit and joined. I guess the rest was history.

You know who I miss? NeX. He was a really great artist!

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    Members with a join date of 2000 or earlier that have posted in March (some older usernames in brackets):

black orb
    Bravely Proto (Agent Proto)
    Calliope
    chionos
    DK (Majin-Squall, Kyono)
    krissy (Not At All Reno)
    Loony BoB
    Raistlin
    Shlup (ShlupQuack)
    Shoeberto (Zell 007, Hsu)

Also active this year: Dr Unne, Endless (Master Vivi), Wyllius. I should probably go on an oldbie-binge again someday and get them all posting again.
    inorite Those are not brackets.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

A parenthesis is just a type of bracket. And Bert, your join date says 2001!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

A parenthesis is just a type of bracket. And Bert, your join date says 2001!
    LIES and RSL can't remember trout. I joined when I was in 8th grade which was 1999. The EZboard went down, I was banished from the interwebs for bad grades by my mother and I rejoined when I was allowed to use the internet again in 2001

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Daniel, didn't we join in 99?