Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Cool movie. Wish I hadn't watched it in 3D though. Kinda wish that Max had gotten a bit more asskicking time. Not much, 10 minutes would have been enough .
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I don't get all the acclaim and hype. I really don't. I thought it sucked. I feel like there's some huge inside joke that everyone on the planet but me knows the punchline to.

It just...it's a boring film that is just a minimal story with characters you're never given a chance to know, in favor of an endless span of repetitive explosions you become numb to a quarter of the way in. If I didn't know better and you asked me to guess the director, I would have said "Michael Bay" with full confidence.

I totally understand I'm in the overwhelming minority here. This thing has a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I'm in sheer disbelief whenever I think about it.
    I like Kung-Fu.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I heard some meninists got angry? What's the deal with that?
    It's a two-step process:

(1) a main character is a woman

(2) she's stronger than some of the men

That, apparently, is all it takes for a movie to become a secret weapon in the liberal feminist propaganda arsenal. Or something.

http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2015/0...max-fury-road/

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I heard some meninists got angry? What's the deal with that?
    It's a two-step process:

(1) a main character is a woman

(2) she's stronger than some of the men

That, apparently, is all it takes for a movie to become a secret weapon in the liberal feminist propaganda arsenal. Or something.

http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2015/0...max-fury-road/
    SIGH.... that site, that article, and all the people who don't know the story behind this kerfuffle but pretend it's all because Furosia...it's all such crap.

It's got nothing to do with strong female characters. It's because before the film came out, while it was still in production, word leaked that the author of The Vagina Monologues was brought on board as an adviser on how to handle the portrayal of the female characters. This made a bunch of stupid people nervous that this movie would be some sort of feminazi crapfest.

Anyone who's seen the film knows that there's absolutely nothing feministic about it though. Although I'm sure as usual both feminists morons and MRA morons will let their confirmation biases take hold and say otherwise.
    Last edited by DMKA; 05-22-2015 at 01:36 AM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Saw it on the recommendation of Shorty and really enjoyed it. Really high-octane and bombastic. The direction was great and I tell you what, the visual design is another smurfing level. Beautiful. But not. A really unique and visually stimulating world that I enjoyed immensely. Obviously it's all action and I'd say it's similar to 300 in that regard. I really liked the guitar guy. He didn't give a smurf about any of it, he just wanted to dangle from his chains and play guitar

I want to preface this by saying I would never call myself a feminist in a million years and I think while it is often a positive movement, there is a depressing number of people who have negative ideas that would call themselves feminists. So now you know where I'm coming from, I can confidently say the MRAs who complained about this are both morons and gigantic babies. I have not got the slightest smurfing idea what on earth is wrong with this movie from a male gender perspective. A woman being an action hero isn't a smurfing new concept in the god damn slightest. I would probably say Furiosa and Max kick equal amounts of ass in this movie, and what an almighty amount it is. Like, is it offensive because Max has the top billing and yet they share screen time? I saw a lot of it being "ah but it says men and women are equal in strength!" No it doesn't say that at all. Hell, in their one fight Max beats Furiosa. But smurf me even if it did say that, it's not some sort of heresy that somewhere on planet Earth at least one woman is stronger than at least one man. there are plenty of women who are as equally strong or stronger than I am let me tell you! Mind-blowing level of whininess, my god.

Now, the real scandal about this movie was that there was no Thunderdome. I therefore rate it 0/10

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I kinda expected max to have more screen time just because well, the movie is called mad max. Sharing it equally with furiosa doesn't make it any less of an action movie though, or even imply any sort of feminist agenda. I do understand that if you're going to put the movie in the same world as the other mad max stuff, giving the movie this title makes the most sense from a marketing point of view so I'm not really blaming them for it. Calling it Mad Max certainly gives me a very clear idea of what kind of a movie it is , and delivered more or less just what I expected.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I viewed it as Max is the vessel in which we experience Furiosa's story. It's his world, her story.

I was very happy with the screen time they both got. I did want to see more of Max, but it was sortof a nice change-up for a "secondary" character to be so very prominent in the story.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Saw this last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I thought Tom Hardy's performance was just okay. Interestingly enough, Tom Hardy apologized for being difficult on set. His difficulty may have hurt his performance.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I saw this over the weekend and I loved it. Very well done in every way. We need more movies where practical effects are used in such a fun and brilliant way and CGI is only used when absolutely necessary.

Although I would have liked to see more focus on Max, I really enjoyed this movie a lot. The visual design and cinematography is amazing.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

that was pretty good
    lots of layered metaphors or whatever

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I enjoyed it a lot, but smurf me it was bloody loud to listen to in the cinema!

Afterwards Pheesh asked me what my favourite part was and I honestly couldn't say because the whole movie felt pretty much like just one scene. We did have a laugh at the bard, and honestly Furiosa never claimed to be stronger than any men in the movie she was just determined to give the girls freedom and get her own redemption - she wasn't out to prove anything which I liked. She just wanted to save the gals, Max just wanted to survive. It was as simple as that.

(SPOILER)Also, Max's face when he said he saw Angharad go under the tyres

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really liked that there was no love story between Furiosa and Max, and that the minor love story that did happen didn't take over the film and that it was only between secondary characters. Thank god for that. I was kindof on the edge of my seat waiting for the scene when Furiosa and Max would kiss, but for the first time perhaps ever, hoping that it wouldn't happen. Miller came through.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

There would be no point. Max is way beyond that because of the death of his wife, and so was Furiosa, she only had one thing on her mind. It was awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I finally got to see this last Wednesday and it was awesome! While we're on the topic of secondary characters, I liked the redhead, and those badass elderly women.