Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Far Cry?

Default Far Cry?

Have you played any of the Far Cry games? My favorite was Far Cry 2 and 4. Far Cry 3 felt like too much hand holding.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh man, yeah. Far Cry 2 is one of the highest achievements in gaming to me, for the way it handled its subject matter and created a legitimately unpredictable gameplay experience. I'm not as big a fan of Far Cry 3 but I understand why they made the decisions they did, to go mass market, and I enjoyed it quite a lot for what it was. I hear Far Cry 4 is more of the same so I'm a little leery to jump into it when it's so new, I'll probably buy it when it hits around $10 on Steam or Amazon, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Oh man, yeah. Far Cry 2 is one of the highest achievements in gaming to me, for the way it handled its subject matter and created a legitimately unpredictable gameplay experience. I'm not as big a fan of Far Cry 3 but I understand why they made the decisions they did, to go mass market, and I enjoyed it quite a lot for what it was. I hear Far Cry 4 is more of the same so I'm a little leery to jump into it when it's so new, I'll probably buy it when it hits around $10 on Steam or Amazon, though.
    Yeah I see what you mean man. The only real thing I hated about Far Cry 2 was the broken stealth in that game. Like seriously any attempt to sneak past guard posts tended to result in a shootout.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think the stealth was tough but fair. Speaking from experience, it is possible to sneak through even the larger compounds if you pick the right path. But yeah, the game doesn't accommodate you if you're not taking it seriously. That's a part of the overall design philosophy, though, and its unrivaled spontaneity - things are meant to go wrong in Far Cry 2.

When it comes to the guard posts, it's really best to stay away from them and "go off the beaten path" to make it to your objectives. That's how you find the hidden diamonds and see all the beautiful hand-placed vistas. I really only hit up the outposts for resources, such as when I'm low on syrettes or need to restock my grenades.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I played the first one and loved the build your own multiplayer map feature. I have the second, but didn't really get very far into it. I really got into the third, so right now it's my favorite overall. I will be picking up 4 when I have more time/money to invest in another game.

I enjoyed Blood Dragon, but never really cared to try the others.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love Far Cry, though I've never actually played the first! I love a great many things about 3, but 2 wins out because it better appeals to the type of gamer I am. The DLC stuff is awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I found Far Cry 2 a little boring, and stopped playing. Far Cry 3 caught my attention from the get-go. It's the best FPS I've ever played - got it platinum'ed in the end, I think. It was beautiful, it was fun, and the villain was amazing. There were a few moments in the game where the choice of music just gave such excellent feels. Was it easy? Eh, I don't care, so long as I'm having a load of fun.

Far Cry 4 was great, too. Not quite FC3, but still really, really good and better than most other FPS titles you'll get out there today.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

BoB and I played FC3 multiplayer a little bit. It was super fun.

It was a complete shambles, though, because both of us are terrible at video games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

We didn't do too badly considering it was our first run. Danielle and I got to the point that we could walk that level pretty easily, but that boat part was our death spot for a while. 'sall good. Would have been more fun if we had the internet connected to the PS3 so that we got teamed up with some randoms though. It works a bit better with four people.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

We managed the boat part first run though! Unlike the opening segment in which we died approx 1 billionty times. xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, the joys of having two people who both like to run and gun.

I don't like to run and gun much. I usually like setting up ambushes and using teamwork in games rather than running and gunning.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

There's always one guy who runs'n'guns though, while everyone else plays the other roles required to make a successful team. To use my recent Borderlands expedition as an example, I was up front with my shotguns all the time, while Dat Matt was a little bit more mid-range with his heals and SMGs, and our friend hung back a bit and sniped things from a distance.

If there are only people who like to be on the front lines taking massive damage and grabbing all aggro with no support from behind? Well, that's a recipe for disaster.

And that's why BoB and I can never play video games together.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

We should do it again sometime!