Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BLOODBORNE

Default BLOODBORNE

Comes out today for PS4 exclusive. Reviews have been up since yesterday. They're all really positive and original Demon's/Dark Souls director Miyazaki it getting a ton of praise right off the bat. The only downsides I have read about being long loadtimes and a limited number of weapons compared to Dark Souls, all the other stuff seems to be exceeding everyone's expectations.

I want it. I want it now. But I'm not sure whether it's worth purchasing a PS4 for at this point.

Who's getting it? Who has it? What are some (spoiler-free) impressions?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Every time someone posts a gif or a clip of this game in motion it looks so amazing and makes it hard not to buy it. I'm gonna go with my gut, though, and hold off until it's on sale for $30 or $20, as that seems to happen very quickly these days.

The wave of perfect and near-perfect reviews are really pushing this game - apparently it's sold out on Amazon and many retailers. If you're considering getting a PS4 for it, I say get it if you can find a copy - there's already 450+ games in the PS4 library, many of which are free or you might have the license to if you bought digital games on PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Every time someone posts a gif or a clip of this game in motion it looks so amazing and makes it hard not to buy it. I'm gonna go with my gut, though, and hold off until it's on sale for $30 or $20, as that seems to happen very quickly these days.

The wave of perfect and near-perfect reviews are really pushing this game - apparently it's sold out on Amazon and many retailers. If you're considering getting a PS4 for it, I say get it if you can find a copy - there's already 450+ games in the PS4 library, many of which are free or you might have the license to if you bought digital games on PS3.
    I guess the lineup for PS4 is getting pretty good especially with a lot of indies on it too. It's just that I'm living a fairly complicated lifestyle at the moment, basically chasing winter from Canada to New Zealand and pretty much only staying in one place for about 3-5 months, and rarely in a place where I have a screen to myself. But I do want this game and see if it is another legendary like my precious Dark Souls. Luxury issues

This game is pretty great so far. Not perfect, I have some issues, but overall I"m digging it. Cleared the first couple boss's, and discovered a bithin' trick to help beat the second boss. Not a huge help, but a minor one and I really dig that this was included by the designers. I don't want to spoil what it is, but it could pay to read some item descriptions.

I will get a ps4 for this. And destiny 2. And ffxv. And uncharted 4

And not to forget The Division.

If it has the feel of demon's souls or dark souls 1, then I'm ecstatic.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Since it was announced this game was and still the only reason why I would consider to waste my money on a PS4..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    This game is pretty great so far. Not perfect, I have some issues, but overall I"m digging it. Cleared the first couple boss's, and discovered a bithin' trick to help beat the second boss. Not a huge help, but a minor one and I really dig that this was included by the designers. I don't want to spoil what it is, but it could pay to read some item descriptions.
    I'm jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
    If it has the feel of demon's souls or dark souls 1, then I'm ecstatic.
    Oh yea. Only time will tell if it holds up like these gems do.

Just got my first invader. "Ikillnoobs".

I wooped his ass SO badly. XD

Also, I have 3/4 awakening headstones usable, though the I got the fourth one unlocked before the third, not sure if I should be hear.

Some bizarre Nightmare fueled world that is creepy and awesome.

Been looking up some more reviews and the more I see about this game the more I'm intrigued by the dark christian themes and darkness. MUST HAVE.

But still not sure whether I'll invest in the ps4 at this point

Okay, as much as I love it, this game is very buggy. If you aren't already familiar with the series difficulty and gameplay, this game will be beyond infuriating trying to handle both that and the many bugs. Hit detection gets Wonky, it's easy to get stuck in environments, parrying doesn't really function right.

Even if you are familiar with the series, these are an endless source of frustration. Wait until it's patched to buy.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

I hate the crows.

Dogs are more infuriating then the crows.

Dogs are more infuriating then the crows.
    I killed a dog without getting hit, AMA

I've been sucked in...

Managed to get a pretty good deal though between some points I had on my GameStop Rewards card, and some money I had saved on a Google debit, and a little my girlfriend had saved up, only had to really pay like $10 out of pocket

Not sure why this one interests me so much. I found the majesty of Dark Souls, but it didn't stick. I got fed up with cheap deaths that required insight or dying previously to have any real chance of accomplishing anything. This one doesn't feel quite like that. You're not stranded between bonfires, and not doomed to constantly have to revive all your old foes just to survive yourself and progress by slogging through the same tedium. The whole blood vial concept makes everything a little more tolerable to me. And it doesn't unbalance the game at all. You still die in 3 or 4 hits if you get sloppy or confident

I like the world a bit more as well. Dark Souls was a nice spin on a generic medieval fantasy, but it was still set in a generic medieval fantasy. There hasn't been too many games set in a world like this other than Silent Hill when it goes all demonic. And other suck DOOM-inspired Hell-locales (Jericho had a nice one)

Super digging all the Brotherhood of the Wolf outfits and creepy plague-doctor masks and everything

Granted, the world is extremely dense with atmosphere and decoration it's really hard to navigate in a fight. Even in wide open spaces you're likely to get backed into something and be unable to dodge properly

And as stated, the controls aren't as tight as they could be. But neither was Dark Souls. I know of many occasions in Dark Souls where I'd hit a direction and dodge, and not actually dodge. I guess there's a lot of electrical signals to process in these things, and it's normal for one to get lost in the mix now and again. One of the reasons I got turned off eventually since death avoidance required a bit too much foresight and controllers had to be made more perfect than even first party controllers can handle. Or maybe it's just the console can't process everything. I'm not sure. But I know a lot of deaths are my own fault, and a good portion are not so much my own fault

But I've kinda learned to get past that. Echoes are not quite as important as the souls were in Dark Souls, so it doesn't hurt as bad when I lose everything

What I found odd is that Dark Souls 2's world was really different from what I could tell. I never played it, but I watched others play it. And This game and Dark Souls 1 seem to follow the same flow. The first bosses are really similar, the paths to get into sewers is really similar. It just all really more riminiscent than what I gathered from Souls 2. But it makes sense considering they've honed this style to an artform, this being basically the fourth game. And even then, they had Kings Field, and another game set in Fuedal Japan that followed a similar format. They've been doing this a very long time...

Glad they haven't burned out I guess. Though I don't appreciate their games the way a lot of people do. It's nice to come back to every now and again..

This is how I've been taking breaks between Pillars of Eternity sessions..

Edit: Just watched Super Best Friends play this on YouTube and they explained that Miyazaki was more directly involved in the first two Souls games, and not so involved in Dark Souls 2. And the things like rag-doll physics, short-cut paths, and all that jazz are more his trademark so it's more closely related to Dark Souls 1. Glad I wasn't hallucinating. And the whole idea that while traveling around the world, "if you can see it, you can get there". Where Souls 2 apparently just had a bit of background dressing that wasn't always accessible, and accessible things weren't often visible from other parts of the world and stuff. I should really play Souls 2 before forming a real opinion. But I think I like this Miyazaki's style
    Last edited by Vyk; 04-03-2015 at 03:52 AM.

Okay, as much as I love it, this game is very buggy. If you aren't already familiar with the series difficulty and gameplay, this game will be beyond infuriating trying to handle both that and the many bugs. Hit detection gets Wonky, it's easy to get stuck in environments, parrying doesn't really function right.

Even if you are familiar with the series, these are an endless source of frustration. Wait until it's patched to buy.
    Just read your review and it sounds fair. I'd still buy it if I had a ps4. But I guess only time will tell whether the lore and PvP can carry this game into the range of timeless classic like DkS1