Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC vs fictional fantasy fighting games

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    At that time, it was so bad that senator John McCain called it "human cockfighting," and New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, who happens to be a boxing fan, called MMA "disgusting" and "horrible," which contributed to MMA being banned in the state of New York, and it still remains banned to this day. MMA was also banned in a number of other states for a number of years until the UFC introduced the new rules, but New York still maintains it ban on the sport.
    Given those two guys are idiots I don't think most people care what they thought about MMA.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I don't think they've developed a Jiu Jitsu take down to counter a Flash Kick or a Sonic Boom.

The person comes in for a single leg take down, and boom, a Flash Kick vaporizes their torso.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    At that time, it was so bad that senator John McCain called it "human cockfighting," and New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, who happens to be a boxing fan, called MMA "disgusting" and "horrible," which contributed to MMA being banned in the state of New York, and it still remains banned to this day. MMA was also banned in a number of other states for a number of years until the UFC introduced the new rules, but New York still maintains it ban on the sport.
    Given those two guys are idiots I don't think most people care what they thought about MMA.
    Rudy Giuliani was the former mayor of New York City during 9/11, and he happened to be a fan of boxing, but he thought that MMA was way beyond boxing; it was people brutalizing each other, and in a way, it is. Fights seem to be quite brutal, more brutal than boxing.
    Is that your final answer?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You trade head injuries for broken limbs. I'm sure you'll agree with me that brains are kind of overrated.

What relevance does 9/11 have?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    None.

And quite frankly, boxing is a lot more brutal than MMA. You can never convince me that ten rounds (used to be a lot more) of trying to knock someone out with repeated blows to the head from heavy gloves with the amount of force they punch with is somehow less brutal than matches which land far fewer blows to the head and can often end in submission.

No blow to the head or knock out is particularly healthy, but getting hit in the head dozens more times with significantly more force (force is mass time acceleration and those boxing gloves are a lot heavier and don't slow the pros down very much) has yo be worse.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Basically. Leg and arm injuries heal up much more nicely than brain injuries do (which is basically not at all).

Seems fine to me.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Certainly gives new meaning to the phrase, "stop hitting yourself," doesn't it Sharky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    You trade head injuries for broken limbs. I'm sure you'll agree with me that brains are kind of overrated.

I only brought that up because Rudy Giuliani was a great mayor of New York, yet Vivi22 called him an idiot for his opinion about MMA, despite his being a fan of boxing.

And in Brazilian jiujitsu, there's this one submission called the "mata leao," or "lion killer," which has the potential to render a person unconscious in a matter of seconds, or even kill them. I saw it on a TV show somewhere, and then I looked it up on Wikipedia; it's the rear naked choke.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't call him an idiot for his opinions on MMA. I called him an idiot because he's a pretty terrible person who holds some pretty idiotic political views. And being the mayor of New York doesn't make him a great mayor.

And a rear naked choke rendering someone unconscious in seconds does not make MMA more brutal than boxing, nor will anyone likely die from it in competition without some form of preexisting condition which should preclude them fighting all together.

Not to mention outside of the ring, beating someone's head with hundreds of punches will usually knock out/kill them as well. But losing to a rear naked choke a few times in your career is far less likely to see you retiring with brain damage.

Realistically, we're splitting hairs.

Almost all forms of full contact fighting sports are brutal, and have long term detrimental impacts on the health of it's participants. It's the price you pay to push yourself and compete against others in one of the purest forms of person vs. person competition. Just because it's brutal and violent doesn't mean it can't also be beautiful and impressive to watch. The people at the top level have to be in peak physical condition certainly, but there's still a large degree of mental discipline and cunning involved.

Considering that not too far back in human history everyone had to fight like this almost everyday of their lives, and that plenty of people still have to now, it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that we're still interested in watching combat and team sports that pit humans against each other.

That's true; before the UFC, there was pankration in the ancient Greek Olympics. Pankration, which means "all powers" in Greek, was an ancient predecessor to 1980s Brazilian vale tudo, which means "everything allowed" or "anything goes" in Portuguese, which was in turn the predecessor to modern MMA. And there was also the gladiator fights in ancient Rome.

And street fights can be no-holds-barred too. Street fighting is very brutal.

It's been a while, but now that Ronda Rousey has just won another fight in less than a minute, I figured I'd bring this topic back up again. How about we take all of the female characters from various fighting games and put them in the cage with Ronda Rousey and see, in theory, if they could beat her. Let's start with Chun-Li from Street Fighter, who's said to be "the strongest woman in the world" in her universe.

Huh, this is back again. Hold on a sec.....

.....okay, there we are.

Well, it's the same as last time. No true flesh and blood fighter in our reality could hold a candle to a fantastical fighter with the abilities of Chun-Li. It's just a silly question.

It's hard for a person to defend against something like this in a cage.

Theoretically I suppose you could get away, but in a came she's shown the ability to create a ball of energy close to the size of an octagon. Game over.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Why stop there? Let's put Rousey up against 10 drone fighters and see if she can break them!