Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC vs fictional fantasy fighting games

Default UFC vs fictional fantasy fighting games

Over the years, I've played fighting games, such as Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive, and enjoyed them, but with the recent rise in popularity of the sport of mixed martial arts and the Ultimate Fighting Championship, I realized that all of these fighting games are basically fictional fantasy versions of the UFC. I think the violence in the UFC is extremely ugly, nasty, disgusting, and uncivilized, but at the same time, I like the fantasy action of the fighting games because it's not real. Magical projectiles, juggle combos, and air combos don't exist in real life, and fights take place in outdoor environments, which sometimes span multiple tiers and areas. In my opinion, Street Fighter shouldn't be called Street Fighter because it looks absolutely nothing like an actual street fight. The tournament within the Street Fighter universe is named the World Warrior tournament, because it invites fighters from around the world to fight, so I think that should have been the title of the series. Tekken means "iron fist" in Japanese, and the tournament in the Tekken universe is called the King of Iron Fist tournament. The tournament in the Dead or Alive universe is called the Dead or Alive tournament, although no one actually dies in the tournament itself. Also, the characters don't look anything like real life UFC fighters, who just wear shorts and a pair of fingerless gloves, and in the case of females, a bra, or an occasional shirt. In the Dead or Alive series, the female characters also tend to have oversized breasts, which is impossible in real life without implants. And in all three game franchises, there are no submissions like there are in the UFC; every fight ends with a knockout.

As much as I hate the UFC, I can't help but wonder how those fighters would fare against fictional fantasy fighting game characters. For instance, in the Street Fighter universe, Chun-Li is said to be "the strongest woman in the world," but how would she fare against the UFC's Ronda Rousey? Now, in another topic, I may have said that she was creepy and scary, but at the same time, I would like to see a fictional clone of her in a fictional fantasy fighting game. How would her fighting style translate into the Street Fighter, Tekken, or Dead or Alive universes? Tecmo and Team Ninja, the companies behind Dead or Alive, created Mila in Dead or Alive 5, who was clearly influenced by MMA, but I would like them to take it a step further and have them create a fictional Ronda Rousey clone in Dead or Alive 6, and perhaps Namco and Capcom can also create fictional Ronda Rousey clones in Tekken 7 and Street Fighter V, respectively, as well.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 03-28-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It took you UFC: The game to realize that tekken and DoA weren't realistic portrayals of fighting?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I've never played any UFC video games, but I've seen clips of fights, as well as fights from other MMA organizations such as Bellator and the World Series of Fighting, and they certainly look very different from fights in Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive. Now, the latter two are slightly more realistic than the first, because there are no magical projectiles, but they too deviate from reality in that they feature juggle combos, as well as falls from one area of a stage to another.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    I've never played any UFC video games, but I've seen clips of fights, as well as fights from other MMA organizations such as Bellator and the World Series of Fighting, and they certainly look very different from fights in Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive. Now, the latter two are slightly more realistic than the first, because there are no magical projectiles, but they too deviate from reality in that they feature juggle combos, as well as falls from one area of a stage to another.
    They may not feature magical projectiles, but make no mistake they are both just as unrealistic as Street Fighter in pretty much every way possible.

Also, I'd like to point out that the UFC is nothing like an actual street fight either. Since there are a ton of rules in place to ensure that the competitors don't kill each other (or even inflict permanent injury).
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

Exactly. look at Kimbo Slice. He was a very famous street fighter who went to UFC and got beat up on by everyone.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'd like to correct folks that Tekken does have projectiles. Alisa's back back 1&2 is a projectile, Jinpachi has fireballs, and Wang with a certain item equipped can shoot ki blasts.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Also, I'd like to point out that the UFC is nothing like an actual street fight either. Since there are a ton of rules in place to ensure that the competitors don't kill each other (or even inflict permanent injury).
    Exactly. And a real street fight doens't have 5 minute rounds with breaks where you have a crew of 3 people patching you up the best they can before sending out out again. There's no getting saved by the bell in a real fight. It goes on until the first person stops moving, and the other person either shows mercy or kills (or permanently cripple) them.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I've played some war games, and for some reason they're nothing like actual war. Weird.

I guess it's like they are designing things to be fun entertainment rather than simulations of reality. It's tough to make really realistic games anyway, other than Final Fantasy.

Blog Entries

Just watch a urban firefight in DayZ. Yes there's obvious game things like glitching partially through a wall. But there's a lot of 45 minute videos with 90% of it nothing but running and peaking around corners. There are a couple games that try to make firefights as realistic as it can be.

EDIT: okay wont get off topic anymore. sorry!
    Last edited by escobert; 03-29-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    In the early days of the UFC, it was more like a real street fight. Back in the 1980s, in Brazil, MMA was originally called "vale tudo," which means "everything allowed" or "anything goes" in Portuguese. In these fights, literally anything went; there were no rules, and when the UFC was founded back in 1993, there were no rules. The UFC was founded in the United States, but the modern day sport of MMA was invented in Brazil back in the 1980s, and in the 1990s era of the UFC, there were no rules. It was not until the 2000s when they introduced rules, but it's still a very violent sport.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    in the 1990s era of the UFC, there were no rules.
    That is how it was marketed but that is false.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, there were rules even back then, though fewer and more loosely enforced than now. They still didn't want dudes actually dying or getting crippled in the octagon though, takes forever to train up and become a name, and you need your peeps to become names if your sport is going anywhere.

Dunno about how it was back in Brazil though I'm confident that anywhere that can produce Royce Gracie must be smurfing hardcore no matter what else.

Guile would blatantly beat the smurf out of everyone though.

At that time, it was so bad that senator John McCain called it "human cockfighting," and New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, who happens to be a boxing fan, called MMA "disgusting" and "horrible," which contributed to MMA being banned in the state of New York, and it still remains banned to this day. MMA was also banned in a number of other states for a number of years until the UFC introduced the new rules, but New York still maintains it ban on the sport.

And what makes you think that Guile (from Street Fighter) would beat everyone else, Mister Adequate?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Because it's Guile.