Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Far Cry?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

The only one I've played is Far Cry 3, and I was really liking it until I got to the part where you have to (SPOILER)protect Willis from the onslaught of enemies trying to kill him while he's repairing the plane. I've been stuck there for a couple months now. I just tried to go back and do it again today, a couple hours ago, and rage quitted after losing on it ten or so times.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Far Cry 4 looks nice though and I plan on trying it out eventually, if I ever do finish 3 that is. Don't know much about the others.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Far Cry 2 is possibly the greatest single-player FPS I've ever played, though I can see why others might not like it. There's no fast travelling, and whenever you want to go anywhere you character pulls out an actual map in real time and you have to figure out where the smurf you're going. If you pick up old rusted guns, they'll jam and screw you over in battle. If the guards are alerted to your presence, they'll actually launch an exhaustive search of the area...as opposed to the classic FPS search-the-immediate-area-and-then-chalk-it-up-to-nothing routine. Most FPS's don't age well, but FC2 came out nearly 7 years ago and I'd still have fun playing it today. I was also way into the African warlord storyline.

Far Cry 3 was fun, but they totally changed up the vibe, ostensibly to appeal to a wider audience (it obviously worked, Far Cry 3 was a slamdunk sales-wise), and it wasn't really for me. It just felt so shallow in comparison to FC2. Drive around for a bit, climb radio tower, liberate outpost, lather, rinse repeat. Skinning animals and collecting herbs became boring after about 5 minutes. It's a beautiful game and the island itself is crafted quite nicely, but overall I would call it "vast as an ocean, deep as a puddle", as the saying goes. Even Skrillex and a flamethrower can't rescue you from that.

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Far Cry 2 is possibly the greatest single-player FPS I've ever played, though I can see why others might not like it. There's no fast travelling, and whenever you want to go anywhere you character pulls out an actual map in real time and you have to figure out where the smurf you're going. If you pick up old rusted guns, they'll jam and screw you over in battle. If the guards are alerted to your presence, they'll actually launch an exhaustive search of the area...as opposed to the classic FPS search-the-immediate-area-and-then-chalk-it-up-to-nothing routine. Most FPS's don't age well, but FC2 came out nearly 7 years ago and I'd still have fun playing it today. I was also way into the African warlord storyline.

Far Cry 3 was fun, but they totally changed up the vibe, ostensibly to appeal to a wider audience (it obviously worked, Far Cry 3 was a slamdunk sales-wise), and it wasn't really for me. It just felt so shallow in comparison to FC2. Drive around for a bit, climb radio tower, liberate outpost, lather, rinse repeat. Skinning animals and collecting herbs became boring after about 5 minutes. It's a beautiful game and the island itself is crafted quite nicely, but overall I would call it "vast as an ocean, deep as a puddle", as the saying goes. Even Skrillex and a flamethrower can't rescue you from that.
    yep. Though there are mods for it on PC That'll make Far Cry 3 a little more like 2

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill
    Most FPS's don't age well, but FC2 came out nearly 7 years ago and I'd still have fun playing it today.
    The game scales ridiculously well to modern hardware, especially now that both nvidia and radeon have native downsampling solutions in their control panels. I was able to get it to the full 144fps of my monitor with hardly any compromises on a single R9 290. Everyone can also get an extra performance boost by turning off V-sync, as I've noticed very little screen tearing in the game, a hallmark of great PC optimization. Far Cry 3 is a little better optimized than what we've come to expect from modern Ubisoft titles but it definitely doesn't have the same attention to detail FC2 did.

Blog Entries

I decided a while back that maybe I should try one of them new-fangled games people had been talking about and played Far Cry 3. I played for a while and it bored me to trout. I was performing the same menial tasks over and over and had a full stack of high powered weapons within the first half hour. My previous foray into new games was Bioshock and that was even worse. I'm going back to playing Croc.

there was a picture here