Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Karifean's Top 10 Visual Novels

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Whoop!

I am now hoping that you do actually enjoy them. xD Room Escape puzzles x VN.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I missed this because I was out of town. Very much enjoyed it, thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries

Regarding Dangan Ronpa...

I think the first one is a great game, despite some very noticable flaws. I really like the setting and most of the cast, the overall atmosphere (especially in the begining of the game) and the interactions between characters. But what's supposed to be the climax of each chapter - the mystery solving process - is one of the areas where I feel the game falls a bit short.

Unlike Pheonix Wright and Umineko, where you actually are encouraged to think things through on your own, most of the mysteries in Dangan Ronpa are ultimately solved (to a degree) through mini-games. There is still some thinking involved, but the clues are handled poorly for the most part. In one case, the culprit's name is basically being shoved in your face, while in other cases it's straight up impossible to figure out the culprit through the clues presented before the trial, because twist after twist you had no clues on are being presented during the actual trial and change the entire setting of the crime completely.

Also, while I do love the free time interactions, I hate how they have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the plot or how characters treat you in dialouges outside of the free time interactions.

There are a few poorly done scenes as well which I won't mention here because of potential spoilers, but at the end of the day I still think the good points outweight the bad ones by a lot.

...well, for the first game anyway. Sadly, I can't really say the same about the second.

First of all, I really don't find the setting to be quite as interesting. Still, the game is off to a good start. I find the cast a bit less interesting than in the first game, save a certain "Nagato", but many bad plot devices are being deployed later on, one after another and there are many things that just feel out of place (and only covering these up with additional "surprise twists" doesn't help all that much). But perhaps my biggest issue with Dangan Ronpa 2 is the fact that they just added more mini-games to the trials. And even more unreleated ones at that. You can actually fail to solve a case that you know the answer to because you failed to jump over something while surfing through a tunnel.

...yeah.

Just like the first game Dangan Ronpa 2 still has its moments, and it has some really well written dialouges and characters (Nagato <3). But ultimately I feel they are being held back by a disappointing plot, some really bad scenes and twists and terrible trials.

I'd recommend anyone to giving Dangan Ronpa 1 a go, but I just can't say the same about the sequel.