Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Karifean's Top 10 Visual Novels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Karifean's Top 10 Visual Novels

So now that I finally feel like I've read the absolute must-reads of the visual novel genre, I decided I might as well list my current Top 10 Visual Novels. I know there aren't many users around here that actually read visual novels, but if you have an open mind towards the genre or are looking for some recommendations, you might find something to your liking here.

It should come as no surprise that I adore visual novels. They often have some of the best soundtracks of all time, and story-wise they blow games out of the water. But visual novels are not only my favorite video game genre, but also my favorite storytelling medium in general. There's so much you can do with the perks of visual novels that you just can't really replicate in books or TV. I'll go further into details about why I love the medium so much as we go, because there are some very good examples of novels whose storytelling would really suffer if ported to another medium.

A few ground rules for this list. First off, I cannot read anything beyond basic Japanese so any visual novels without a translation patch are out by default. And of course, while I have read a good number of visual novels, there are far more I haven't read. Especially VNs that actually got a localization and a considerable western fanbase - I can tell you upfront that Danganronpa, 999 and Ghost Trick won't be on this list, as I just haven't had the chance to read them yet.

And with that, I hope you enjoy this list. I'll be posting #10 momentarily, then go on to post one entry per day....If you really don't want to wait you can just look me up on VNDB, which basically spoils the entire list. Your call.

Final List

Last edited by Karifean; 04-09-2015 at 10:36 AM.