Thread: I Finished My First Metroid Game Today

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Thumbs up I Finished My First Metroid Game Today

So I finished my first playthrough of a Metroid game and that game is Super Metroid. It was definitely an experience for me as it wasn't my only first Metorid game, but my first 2-D action platformer that I've beaten. The game definitely has a unique atmosphere to it. It is mostly grim with one area that has a bit of brightness to it which is good for me in general. Most games I play are colorful and I haven't played a dark one in a while. It was cool to see where some of Samus's alt colors from Smash come from and to actually see and use power-ups that I've heard mentioned a lot.

The game's controls felt weird to me at first, like Samus was walking and jumping on the moon, but she is on a foreign planet in outer space so it might've been intentional, but it doesn't matter since I got used to it. I like the exploration and feeling of loneliness in the game. There isn't much downside of this game for me other than one of the last hidden paths that you're supposed to go through in order to beat the game doesn't show up when you use your scanner. The scanner is meant to bring those up so you won't waste time checking every wall or rock. I was lost for a bit because of it and had to look at a let's play online to find out that there was actually a path there.

The game provides plenty of challenge, I've grown to hate most metroid enemies and the ending made me feel a certain way. It's definitely a great game and when I have access to a Gamecube or Wii I'll play Prime.

8/10

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I can't believe it's your first platformer beaten! Super Metroid's pretty good, but I didn't get too far in it. It took me forever to beat the NES Metroid, because it's insane finding all the items to beat it.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Congrats on your first time, DM.

I love the Metroids. They're up there in my top 5 gaming series. The difficulty and ridiculous exploring is most of the point for me. That and the ambiance, which is elite. I haven't played any of the Primes in a while, but I seem to remember them being much easier than the older games.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I can't believe it's your first platformer beaten! Super Metroid's pretty good, but I didn't get too far in it. It took me forever to beat the NES Metroid, because it's insane finding all the items to beat it.
    Well action-platformer. I've played Mario like everyone else, but not ones like this, Mega Man, and Castlevania that are also vary combat focused. I'm not sure if I'm ready to go into the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Well action-platformer. I've played Mario like everyone else, but not ones like this, Mega Man, and Castlevania that are also vary combat focused. I'm not sure if I'm ready to go into the original.
    My suggestion: play Zero Mission for the GBA. An updated and modernized version of the NES classic that is more acceptable to the contemporary gamer brain. And a damn well done job at that. Play Fusion as well while you're on the GBA, neither game is very long iirc. Once you've gotten your 2D fix, jump into Prime.