23 52.27%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you smoke?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Tried it a few times. Never liked it. I hate that smoky feel in my throat and lungs. Don't smoke weed for that same reason.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I'm always surprised when I discover people under the age of 40 who smoke. I mean, there are basically no incentives to doing it, and a huge number of disincentives, and somehow some people still do it anyway. Assuming we're just talking about cigarettes, of course.

I smoke and have done since I was about fifteen or so. I smoke a lot less now than I used to, and got an E-Cig last year. If I was lucky enough to not need to work, I'd probably find it quite easy to quit. There are some days where I'll be at home all day and won't even think about smoking, and others where I'll end up smoking a full pack. The E-Cig only really comes into use when I'm sat at my desk, but does stop me from smoking actual cigarettes when I'm using it so it helps a little. There are times where I actually enjoy a smoke, and it's similar to having a nice cold beer after a long day of work and there's just something incredibly satisfying about it. Other times I'll regret lighting up and question why I even started in the first place. I wouldn't suggest starting to anyone, and try my best to smoke away from others or refrain from smoking if I'm stuck in a crowd

I know how bad it is for my body, but if I had any real desire to quit then I would have done so long ago. Maybe one day I will.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I put the "Tried it, but didn't like it" option only because that's the closest to my experience. I never had the desire to smoke, and I have never officially picked up the habit myself. However, when I was really drunk I have taken a couple of drags a couple of times only as a joke. Even with my senses dulled I didn't see the appeal. Then again, I did smoke at a hookah bar before and my lungs were fried within minutes. I just think putting any smoke in my lungs just bothers the crap out of me. Same reason why I never smoked pot. I literally could if I wanted to at any time, but I just really can't jive with smoke in my lungs.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Never have, never will. I grew up surrounded by people who smoke. Both parents have smoked all my life. All of my extended family, save a cousin or two smoke. My sister smokes. Me and my younger brother are the only ones who have never smoked.

I find it pretty gross honestly. It stinks. It messes cars and housing up. A huge fraction of the people who do smoke are pretty inconsiderate about it, and don't seem to think that cigarette butts are litter (they are) and that using other people's foliage as an ash tray is cool (it's not).

I actually don't mind being around people smoking cigars though. I don't really know why. I have no desire to smoke them either, but the smoke and smell they emit just doesn't bother me like cigarettes do. Which is especially strange when you consider cigarettes are what I grew up around.
    I like Kung-Fu.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah I don't smoke. I've tried a cigarette once thinking it was weed. I don't smoke weed anymore either, but I needed it during thesis to keep my anxiety maintained and to help me sleep.

I'm always astounded how smoking is still a thing. There's no secrecy to the harmful and damaging effects it has, there's not a lot of television or movies that portray it as "cool", it's insanely expensive, it's banned in most places outside your home or your car. I'm not sure why it persists, and even more perplexed why anyone would start. I have allergies and asthma caused by allergies and smoking so it'd be a terrible idea for me to start. I've tried it, I even purposely tried to get addicted to see how easy it would be to stop so I could scoff at people who act like its such a hard thing to do. But I never really seriously took it up, and it's hard to think anyone who chooses to do it is capable of many good decisions, but to each their own I suppose. I just can't hang out with anyone who does it regularly. Causes "allergy-like" symptoms, which can't be fought with allergy meds, because it doesn't actually cause an allergic reaction, just a similar reaction

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm astounded that there's still some restaurants you can smoke in in South Carolina. Talk about behind the times

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I was really drunk in my early 20s is was known to randomly bum cigarettes off people because I was curious. Nicotine is amazing, what it does to your brain for a few seconds. Otherwise it tastes like a butt.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

No, I think smoking is a horrible thing.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I have allergies and asthma caused by allergies and smoking so it'd be a terrible idea for me to start. I've tried it, I even purposely tried to get addicted to see how easy it would be to stop so I could scoff at people who act like its such a hard thing to do.
    Wait, what?

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I used to smoke pretty heavily, we're talking 20 a day and my brand was Marlborough Red which as far as the UK goes at least means I enjoyed partaking of the strongest ones on the market. I quit cold turkey because I didn't like the way weed and the stuff in the weed that I was smoking at the time affected me. I personally quite like the smell too, perhaps that's because a fair few members of my family smoke or were smokers when alive. My father (deceased), sister, brother in law, brother and nan (deceased) all smoke quite heavily, though it must be pointed out that none of the deaths in my family have been attributed to smoking but it can't be ruled out as a contributor. I'm not someone who gets hurt by or disgusted by the idea of someone I'm dating or friends of mine smoking, even in my presence. I prefer to not let them do it in my room but that is because my tenancy on my house stipulates that smoking should be outside not indoors. Sometimes that just means I open my window and the person smoking sits on my window ledge and smokes through the window though.

Sometimes, I'll go through a phase where I'll pick up a packet or two and smoke them just for fun it doesn't "stick to me" anymore, nothing apart from chocolate, exercise and soft drinks seems to. I guess quitting so harshly has made me immune to the cravings associated with the addiction.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I have allergies and asthma caused by allergies and smoking so it'd be a terrible idea for me to start. I've tried it, I even purposely tried to get addicted to see how easy it would be to stop so I could scoff at people who act like its such a hard thing to do.
    Wait, what?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tried it and my good lord it is smurfing awful. Never smoked and never been with anyone who smokes. Not sure if that's a concious decision but I couldn't be in a relationship with someone who tasted like that.

Pre-pregnancy though, MissH and I would get one of the flavoured Shisha Pipes on the beach in Dubai. After a while though it made me feel really sick.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shisha especially abroad often contains a simple ingredient: Hashish - Hash for short. Yup weed is commonly found in them. Smoking a Shisha pipe for several hours can of course make you feel sick. As can smoking too much weed. Especially if you're not used to it.