Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is hard better?

I don't have patience for that crap anymore. I welcome the gentle handholding of one million checkpoints, smurf it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    And I guess that's what I'm trying to get at. I don't like RNG-type difficulty that is out of the players hand like eagles with pushback or ambushes followed by four Megidos. I like difficulty that I can overcome. If it's too much of the former, I'll just lower the difficulty. I have a job and bills and I don't want to spend 30+ hours just to make a 1% of progress.
    #casual called, they want their hashtag back
    Last edited by Mirage; 04-12-2015 at 03:55 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

It depends on the game for me. DayZ + hard = frustrating fun. DayZ + easy = boring running simulator. Civ + Hard = f u computer I hate you! Civ + Medium = fun

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It really depends on the game for me. For instance, Batman on the NES was a game I thought was pretty hard, but it wasn't really frustratingly so for me if I remember right. Everything played really well, and getting past each level felt like a huge accomplishment. It also helped that the music in that game is fantastic.

With RPGs, I feel like I often prefer easier games. If games are too difficult, it's going to mess with the pacing of a story. The fun thing with a lot of Final Fantasy games is that I can kind of control the difficulty should I want. A lot of them are easy to break, but you can do fun challenges to up the difficulty should you choose. Then there are games like Shin Megami Tensei where the story isn't as much of a focus as just general atmosphere and gameplay. I've only played a bit of Nocturne on the main series, but the difficulty never felt like an issue because the story didn't really catch me to begin with. I've played Persona 3 and 4 as well, but I never really thought those games were that hard for the most part.

Long story short, it just depends on the game and kind of experience I'm looking for in the moment.

And another thing, the introduction of lets plays and faqs on sites such as gamefaqs,super cheats have significantly made games easier to play if you follow the lets plays and faqs. Let's say that you have no clue where to find a certain key or where to go next, instead of further inspecting, the answer is just one click or tap away. The two have their perks tho, esp. the lets plays, it'll help you think twice about buying a game.
    "Hope is comforting. It allows us to accept fate, no matter how tragic it might be."
    FF Player, Proud student of Eckbacke IT School

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Quinothy P. Buttflakes View Post
    Easy tiger.

FFI was and is really hard, especially compared to, say, FFIX (relevant only because I am currently playing it xD). And it's not just FFI. Early era gaming was notorious for its difficulty.

Are we worse gamers now? Are we lazy? Current generation games are almost never anywhere near as challenging as older games, so what changed?
    Games should be played at your own pace. It's honestly what you want. I could go either way. Easy, Normal, Hard...Impossible. I don't care.

It really depends on the game you are playing. If normal mode is a severe pain in the ass, then yea avoid hard mode.
    There is easy mode if you need it, sometimes there is not.

I always start a game on normal when it is my first time playing it. If easy is recommended and available then I play on easy.

Hard is always better.

Ahem.

No really, Danny and I played this new free game *pregnancy brain has made me forget the name* and we decided to try it on the easy level first. It was so hard!!! God knows what the hard level would be like!

Quote Originally Posted by MissH View Post
    Hard is always better.

Ahem.

No really, Danny and I played this new free game *pregnancy brain has made me forget the name* and we decided to try it on the easy level first. It was so hard!!! God knows what the hard level would be like!
    LOL! Hard and sore the next morning?
    Ride with the steel and the power of the sword.
    Stand up and fight now and forever more.
    Rise through the night sky with daylight's desire.
    To be free there must be Black Fire.
    Black Fire by DragonForce. \m/