Thread: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD sells 1 million copies

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Default Final Fantasy Type-0 HD sells 1 million copies

Square-Enix announced through its official Japanese Final Fantasy Twitter account that Final Fantasy Type-0 HD has sold one million copies worldwide. Judging from this lovely thank you image, it's clear they also attribute that success to the inclusion of the Final Fantasy XV demo, Episode Duscae.

type0thanks.png
    Type-0's Ace looking very uncomfortable with unwarranted physical contact from XV's Noctis.

To put that figure in perspective, the original Type-0 sold 0.81 million copies throughout its run in Japan, and Lightning Returns sold 1 million PS3 copies during its lifespan. We are hopeful that this success will lead to the release of the mobile Final Fantasy Agito seeing a Western release too, and the possibility of a Type-1 has also been batted about recently.

For more Final Fantasy Type-0 HD content, go check out our review right here or watch our video playthrough of Episode Duscae here!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Cool. I'll admit that I haven't really had the strongest desire (or the time) to get into Type-0 fully due to various factors but I think at its core it is the type of game I'd like to see SE make more of.

Side tangent: I've been disappointed in the lack of quality JRPGs lately that I've gone back in time to look up old PS1 or even 16 bit-era favorites that I may have passed over (currently playing Star Ocean as a result). One of them was Front Mission 3. I looked up an IGN review from way back in 2000 (link) and this first paragraph shows how far SE has fallen:

There are very few companies (if any) that have the same amazing track record as Square. The company manages to kick out a game every couple of months that consistently hits the high-quality mark, without it ever seeming like they actually are kicking them out. With the company's latest strategy RPG, they yet again show that equally blended strategy and role-playing elements can pay off.
    The bold is my emphasis. Hopefully the success of games like Type-0 shows SE it only needs to be what it always has been (a generator of high-quality JRPGs) to please its fans and make some money.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

One million copies huh. That's gotta be enough for them to be willing to spend some time on fixing the smurfing motion blur. Seriosly wouldn't have bought it if I had known.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Time to break out the sake!!

Congratulations SE, you're scoring hits again! I dunno about anyone else, but I've noticed SE stepping up their game since they relaunched FFXIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    Congratulations SE, you're scoring hits again! I dunno about anyone else, but I've noticed SE stepping up their game since they relaunched FFXIV.
    Because of the FFXIV 1.0 failure the whole company went under a restructure. That's probably why you'll start to see them stepping up their game.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Almost like some of us have been saying that to you over the past year when you've been going on about how awful they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post

Almost like some of us have been saying that to you over the past year when you've been going on about how awful they are.
    It's not nice to pick on crazy people.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post

It's not nice to pick on crazy people.
    Sorry I forgot the to indicate jest!

Do you bite your thumb at me ser?

Lol

Well, regardless of what I may or may not have said in the past, I'm immensely gratified at SE's prominent position. I have fond memories of Squaresoft and Enix games going back many years and I am in fact a longtime fan, as much as I whine about stuff.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Instead of being a fan, I decided to be a person who likes good video games. My life has been much better since I made that change.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

How very deep.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

One million copies globally is about what I'd expect for a non-numbered FF game. Crystal Chronicles sold about that much. Crystal Bearers sold about half that much. Dirge of Cerberus, a companion game to one of the most popular FFs ever didn't even manage to break a million copies. Besides, one million copies is more than enough to make an HD remaster profitable. So kudos to SE I guess.

I think it'd have sold better if more people knew exactly what it was. Most people, particularly here in the west, still don't quite understand what exactly Type-0 is, and the press surrounding it didn't exactly do a good job of remedying that. The $60 price tag for a remastered PSP game was a tad steep for most people's taste too, I'd wager.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

-kicks Noctis out of the picture-

There. Much better.