View Poll Results: Who is going to sit on the Iron Throne at the end of it all?!

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daenerys

9 25.71%
  • Jon Snow

9 25.71%
  • Tommen

0 0%
  • Myrcella

1 2.86%
  • Stannis/Shireen

0 0%
  • Sansa

0 0%
  • Arya

4 11.43%
  • Rickon

2 5.71%
  • Littlefinger

2 5.71%
  • Some book character you've like, never heard of man

4 11.43%
  • Obligatory Hodor option

4 11.43%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who is going to sit on the Iron Throne at the end of it all?!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Kind of off-topic...

Psy, can you explain something to me? I've been re-reading the books and obviously I understand how lesser houses are the bannermen of larger houses. But I'm confused how THOSE houses have bannermen too. Wouldn't they just automatically be the bannermen of the largest house?

It's something I've been legitimately curious about, and this thread kind of went there and made me remember to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Plus, with everything that's happening with the wall and the white walkers - they're gonna all have to band together and fight together against them and bloody well get over it.
    I think the white walkers are gonna break through the wall before Dany comes over, but Jon's gonna survive, which is how he becomes a dragon rider. White walkers are gonna destroy most of the armies in Westoros, and it's gonna take her Army to kill them off but she dies in the process which is why Jon ends up on the throne.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I disagree pretty much on every point, Psy. xD Also, I consider the likes of Varys to be extremely powerful people in the world. Just because Baelish wasn't considered powerful by Ignorant Noble #523 doesn't mean that anyone watching the show didn't think he was powerful. The guy did come up from nothing, yes, but he did it over time, always plotting. He worked his way up through different methods, but he was definitely increasing in power at a rapid pace due to the people who he was associating with and the control he gained over them, through his business acumen, etc. etc.

Bronn lucked out by being in the right pub at the right time, killed a few dudes, got a captaincy, got a knighthood, got a lordship, and if he keeps going up at that rate he'll be kickin' back on the throne by season six and he won't even have intended on it. It'll be basically handed to him. Probably by Petyr Baelish of all people.

EDIT: hero's post seems pretty possible. Although idk about the White Walkers, I mean, they're badass and all, but it'll be a bit boring if in the end it becomes White Walkers vs. Everyone. It's so much more fun in GoT when it's Everyone vs. Everyone. Here's hoping we see some serious White Walker internal politics.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    No one. The throne will be destroyed. There will be no king or queen of the seven kingdoms.

You heard it here first, folks.
    Either this or Westeros will be so broken and desolate that it won't even matter who sits on the throne. Possibly Daenerys finally gaining what she's worked so hard to obtain only to realize she's "ruling over it's ashes," or Jon begrudgingly accepting his duty to rule as the king of a fallen kingdom.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalevala View Post
    Either this or Westeros will be so broken and desolate that it won't even matter who sits on the throne. Possibly Daenerys finally gaining what she's worked so hard to obtain only to realize she's "ruling over it's ashes," or Jon begrudgingly accepting his duty to rule as the king of a fallen kingdom.
    Baelish would be the one to do that given that's what Varys says he wants to do (rule over the ashes). Can't see it happening though, because Baelish is ultimately portrayed as a villain and I don't think even Mr. Martin will give his series a genuinely negative ending.

Could be wrong though.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

At the start of the books Baelish was powerful because he was useful. Now he is powerful because he has power. The difference is power that could easily be taken away and power that is very difficult to take away.

Lollys is a younger daughter which makes Bronn lord of nothing yet (is he even married to her yet?). Also like Psy said, there are hundreds of these smaller lordships that are often rewarded to those who please their masters. What happened to Bronn is probably not uncommon.

Although Baelish started at a higher place, his rise is far beyond anything Bronn has done and he has gone from a useful cog in the King's Landing machine to lord of two kingdoms and one of the most powerful men in Westeros.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Kind of off-topic...

Psy, can you explain something to me? I've been re-reading the books and obviously I understand how lesser houses are the bannermen of larger houses. But I'm confused how THOSE houses have bannermen too. Wouldn't they just automatically be the bannermen of the largest house?

It's something I've been legitimately curious about, and this thread kind of went there and made me remember to ask.
    The King owns all of Westeros. But he's like, bloody hell, I can't micromanage every jot of land. I'll keep the Crownlands for myself to manage. Lords Stark, Lannister, Martell, Tyrell etc. you each take this piece of my land and manage it for me. And Ned Stark's like, blimey, this North is pretty big. I'll keep Winterfell for me to manage. Lords Bolton, Umber, Karstark, Cerwyn etc. each of you have a piece of my land and manage it for me. And so Roose Bolton is like, bloody hell, I can't manage all of this. I'll keep the Dreadfort for me to manage... and so on.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Basically, it's business.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalevala View Post
    Baelish would be the one to do that given that's what Varys says he wants to do (rule over the ashes). Can't see it happening though, because Baelish is ultimately portrayed as a villain and I don't think even Mr. Martin will give his series a genuinely negative ending.

Could be wrong though.
    I agree that, although I'd love to see it happen, Littlefinger likely won't be crowned by Martin.

I should specify that I don't mean Daenerys would intentionally see Westeros burn if she could be queen of its ashes, as in Varys' line about Littlefinger. What I mean is that the country is likely going to burn (figuratively and literally) as a result of the White Walker invasion and her conquest, and she won't realize how unhappy she is to be sitting at the head of the ruins until she's actually doing so.

I keep picturing this. conker_throne.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Although Baelish started at a higher place, his rise is far beyond anything Bronn has done and he has gone from a useful cog in the King's Landing machine to lord of two kingdoms and one of the most powerful men in Westeros.
    "useful cog in the King's Landing machine" is a position of such insane power. The only difference between Baelish and any random menial person given such a position is that Baelish actually had the savvy to use his position of power.

But if we're going to start waving hands around about fast progression of power then I suppose Robert probably beats Baelish, because, well, he was King. If you're going by the way you guys are talking, no Baratheon was ever King before Robert was and it's a bigger title so therefore instawin.

Articles

Yeah not gonna argue there. But then he also progressed from King to corpse, so...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Kind of off-topic...

The King owns all of Westeros. But he's like, bloody hell, I can't micromanage every jot of land. I'll keep the Crownlands for myself to manage. Lords Stark, Lannister, Martell, Tyrell etc. you each take this piece of my land and manage it for me. And Ned Stark's like, blimey, this North is pretty big. I'll keep Winterfell for me to manage. Lords Bolton, Umber, Karstark, Cerwyn etc. each of you have a piece of my land and manage it for me. And so Roose Bolton is like, bloody hell, I can't manage all of this. I'll keep the Dreadfort for me to manage... and so on.
    Thanks. Obviously I understand HOW it worked just not WHY it was even a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

I guess if Lord Bolton is the one who has given you the land and not Lord Stark you're loyal to Lord Bolton.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I imagine the why is to make them feel more powerful than they actually are. They lesser houses give up land to those below them in exchange for having them as bannermen. Ultimately, all would probably still be banner men to the main house, but if the lesser house split or betrayed from the main house, their banner men would probably have more loyalty with them than the main house. So the how is everyone giving land so that the amount they personally manage is more manageable. The why is to create a sense of power. That's what I think. I'm sick though, so my thoughts are pretty hazy right now.

In the end, I'm sure everyone will bend the knee to Pod, king of Westeros.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

House Podrick
    "Whore's pay us for sex"