Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Book] What do you think of them? (Spoilers marked)

Well so far I am still on the first book just before the Eddard dies and I enjoy GRRM's writing style. I cannot objectively say if it is good or bad since honestly I didn't read that many books in my life. At least not in this genre.

But the again, I started the books long after watching the series and so for me it's more like expansion of character's depth and the world. Which is good enough to me.

Also I really enjoy the chapters being centered around one character and the jumps between the chapters. I usually cannot read more than like 40-60 pages of any book at one time anyways so it's nice that I can just read three-four chapters whole and start on fresh chapter the next day. It fits my reading style perfectly.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

That night, after the plates had been cleared, Robb carried Bran up to bed himself. Grey Wind led the way, and Summer came close behind. His brother was strong for his age, and Bran was as light as a bundle of rags, but the stairs were steep and dark, and Robb was breathing hard by the time they reached the top.

He put Bran into bed, covered him with blankets, and blew out the candle. For a time Robb sat beside him in the dark. Bran wanted to talk to him, but he did not know what to say. “We’ll find a horse for you, I promise,” Robb whispered at last.

“Are they ever coming back?” Bran asked him.

“Yes,” Robb said with such hope in his voice that Bran knew he was hearing his brother and not just Robb the Lord. “Mother will be home soon. Maybe we can ride out to meet her when she comes. Wouldn’t that surprise her, to see you ahorse?”

Even in the dark room, Bran could feel his brother’s smile. “And afterward, we’ll ride north to see the Wall. We won’t even tell Jon we’re coming, we’ll just be there one day, you and me. It will be an adventure.”

“An adventure,” Bran repeated wistfully. He heard his brother sob. The room was so dark he could not see the tears on Robb’s face, so he reached out and found his hand. Their fingers twined together.

Anyone who says he can't write emotion has a heart of stone.

By all accounts Book Jaime and Brienne are vastly superior which is why I might never watch the show, seeing as they ended up being two of my favorite characters.

Also
    (SPOILER)“Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, trout gold.”

Best. Book. Ever.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think he has created a very good, intricate story that keeps people hanging. A lot of what I have read was good and accessible - what more could you want?

Also, I just kind of hate the whole 'they're not a good writer' thing. Writing a novel is hard. Writing a series of novels is probably really smurfing difficult. Like, I don't really think Stephanie Meyer's books are that great, nor do I find 50 Shades of Grey fantastic - but somebody sat down and smurfing wrote a book - it's amazing. Not everyone can do it, so, and now more than ever, anyone who has a book on a shelf deserves my respect, no matter how it is.

Now I got actually curious. What is supposed to be a "good writer"? How is it decided that someone is legitimately a good writer?

I mean no offense and I am not defending GRRM's writing style, but I would really like to know what book should I read to have a fair competition.

There are things like Shakespear's work which became classic and while I enjoyed some of his work, I wouldn't be able to get through the books if I didn't "know" he is supposedly one of the best writers ever though.

Then there are more recent writers like Stephen King. I really enjoyed his books through and through but I am still unable to objectively say that he is awesome writer.

How does one decide on that? Are there any criteria that decide that objectively?

Sorry for such a post but I am a simple man, I enjoy the book, I think the writer is good.

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

His writing style is a bit dry at times, but I really enjoyed the narratives themselves and I got attached to many of the characters. The books are fast and simpler reads compared to the other fantasy I've read. I think I read all five of them in a span of 4 months?

Despite whatever is said of his writing style, as long as he can convey emotions, well-rounded characters, and good plot, I'm satisfied.

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Five of them in four months is fast?
    While currently rereading the wheel of time, I've finished books 10-13 in the last few weeks and will finish book 14 before that whole time covers a month

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I read the first three in parallel with the show and that was pretty cool but I think the timelines have diverted enough by now that it would just confuse me to read further. I'll probably pick it back up once the show ends.

I can see the complaints about his overly descriptive writing style that seems to be an affliction for most fantasy writers. But the books are entertaining and there is enough cool stuff that happens to keep me interested.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Well we're starting to get to unknown territory. You'd probably be okay finishing what is out because next season will mostly be new to everyone.