View Poll Results: Who was the dumbest Stark?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ned

1 5.26%
  • Catelyn

9 47.37%
  • Robb

9 47.37%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who was the dumbest Stark: Ned, Robb or Catelyn?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Bran would still be walking, the assassin never would've attacked, Tyrion wouldn't have been put into custody and there'd be no war in Riverrun, and maybe Jaime wouldn't have killed some of Stark's men and smurfed up Ned. Not sure how many things would've changed if Tyrion was in King's Landing at the time all of this was happening. Ned probably still would've gotten his head chopped off.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I can't even remember the exact details from all the way back then, but I do remember loudly swearing at catelyn the most.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Ned was the most oblivious, Robb was the most self-absorbed, but Catelyn was the dumbest. Between the Tyrion-arresting and the Jaime-freeing, and everything else mind-bogglingly stupid in between, when I read the books there was a point when I just gave up on her character entirely because it was so unbelievably and unrealistically stupid. Like Del said, some of her actions just made absolutely no sense. At least Ned's conduct was consistent with his "honor" and Robb's consistent with his ego (and desire for hot chicks), which made some of their own ridiculous stupidity at least halfway believable (albeit not always understandable); Catelyn's conduct was only consistent with her irrational stupidity and the need to force plot points.

Of course, this discussion is basically awarding the prize for the slowest at the snail race.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I'd give it to Catelyn, but I don't think any of them were especially dumb. They had assumptions and prejudices and acted along those lines, that's a very different thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I actually don't think Ned was dumb. I just think he was too honorable and kind. If he had've gone to Robert as soon as he knew about her children and had her arrested immediately, he would've lived. So would his family. Maybe. The Lannisters probably still would've started a war. However, I think the power would've been on his and Robert's side. I think the thing that pisses me off most about Ned is that his need for honor and mercy ended killing his family and endangering his children.

Catelyn...she did some stupid stuff. But I don't look badly about her as everyone else does. She was a mom looking out for her kids. Then her husband was murdered and her children held hostage (well, they all assumed Arya was in King's Landing). Her oldest child started a war and she was worried there. So yeah, while she did stupid stuff, she wasn't thinking clearly and she did it out of love. I think that's forgivable.

Robb just literally couldn't keep it in his pants. He didn't marry Talisa (or Jeyne in the books) because he got her pregnant. She got pregnant after (and in the book I don't believe it's confirmed if Jeyne is, isn't, or ever was pregnant). He married her because he had sex with her and he had to be "honorable" and marry her after. And because of that, he became an oathbreaker. He had a very good chance of winning the war if he had just been able to control himself for a few minutes. Everyone told him not to cross Walder Frey or make a deal with him lightly, but he didn't listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Robb is definitely the dumbest. He made the worse choices and some of which could've been avoided. He is indirectly responsible for his own death, the death of his mother, his unborn child, and his wife.

I don't believe Ned was dumb at all except in trusting Littlefinger who obviously hated him. I don't think being honorable and hopeful is dumb. There are some people who gave good intentions, unfortunately for him he didn't listen to the ones who did.

Blog Entries

I'm so, so, so, so, so happy that no one answered "Ned". I loved his character dearly.
    I still laugh and look back at my naive self of when I first started watching (I've never read the books... sorry, folks) and thought that Ned was going to be the main character.

Lol.

Robb is definitely the dumbest Stark. Cat was a bitch but she was still somewhat smart.

Still rowing...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

To be fair, he is basically the main character of both the first season and book. Granted, it's an ensemble cast, but the first book/season's events main revolved around him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    To be fair, he is basically the main character of both the first season and book. Granted, it's an ensemble cast, but the first book/season's events main revolved around him.
    Not quite what I meant. I mean back when I thought he would be the MAIN character. Like, the entire show would follow him.

Still rowing...

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Robb was young and his head was filled with the dreams of conquering for his family and bannermen's freedom and wearing a crown of glory and honor. Show me a teenage boy who doesn't think he's immortal (you can't).

Catelyn knew better and chose to act irrationally in every available circumstance, therefore she is the most stupid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Robb was young and his head was filled with the dreams of conquering for his family and bannermen's freedom and wearing a crown of glory and honor. Show me a teenage boy who doesn't think he's immortal (you can't).

Catelyn knew better and chose to act irrationally in every available circumstance, therefore she is the most stupid.
    Robb also couldn't keep his anaconda in his pants. After all, he was only a teenage boy, like you said. He would have never sat on the throne, and if he did, he wouldn't have been king for long. He was too trusting to begin with, and he believed in honor (whether it be retaining or regaining it) more than the rest of Westeros does.

Still rowing...

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, he followed his father's code, which was what got them both killed. It wasn't him marrying Talisa that got him killed, it was making the poor decision to call on the Freys and to try to uphold an ounce of honor and reconciliation.

On the advice of Catelyn. So she is the actual worst.