Thread: Street Fighter X Smash Bros?

Default Street Fighter X Smash Bros?

So, I wasn't sure whether I should put this in the main Smash Bros. thread or not, but I figured I'd make a new thread because of the speculation it might draw for the future.

There was a recent patch for the 3DS and Wii U versions of Super Smash Bros. In the files of the 3DS version, a dataminer on reddit discovered several new songs, including:

不nd_bgm_Z81_F_Ryu_3DS.nus3bank
    不nd_bgm_Z82_F_Lucas_3DS.nus3bank
    不nd_bgm_Z83_F_Roy_3DS.nus3bank
    不nd_bgm_SF01_SF2_Ryu_3DS

The first three songs are victory themes for several characters (including Roy from Fire Emblem), and the victory theme for Ryu is most definitely from Street Fighter II. The name format of these songs matches the files included with the patch for Mewtwo's victory theme, which is titled "snd_bgm_Z80_F_Mewtwo_3DS.nus3bank". The final song is apparently a stage theme, and also from Street Fighter II.

Since then, two other independent dataminers have confirmed this information.

This would seem to indicate Ryu as a planned Smash Bros. character, which in turn raises some odd questions. Street Fighter hasn't released on a Nintendo console since the SNES, though it has had a few handheld Nintendo releases, including the 3DS version of Street Fighter IV. Currently, Street Fighter V has only been announced for Windows and the PS4. It doesn't make a ton of sense for Nintendo to directly advertise their competition.

Could the inclusion of Ryu be an indication that Street Fighter will be returning to Nintendo consoles? Could a Wii U version of Street Fighter V include a Nintendo exclusive character, much like the GameCube version of Soul Calibur II included Link? Might Nintendo have some other deals in the works with Capcom?

Either way, this is pretty hefty news, as one of the most iconic and recognizable characters of the fighting game genre coming to Smash Bros. all by itself is major (and probably planned for an E3 announcement). I just thought I'd like to get your guys' thoughts on it.

Original Reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c..._observations/
    Sound files in question:
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I would really like to see Ryu in the next Super Smash Bros. game.
    Is that your final answer?

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Who knows what this could really mean, but I don't have anything against seeing Ryu in Smash if this ends up being true because he's the face of Street Fighter, and Street Fighter II and it's many variations were great games on the Super Nintendo. As for Roy. He's pretty much stretching it, since we have more than enough reps for Fire Emblem, and I don't really want to see another Marth clone. Of course, this could all mean nothing and just throw everyone off in the wrong direction.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Possible DLC characters?

It's strange, because it'd make way more sense if it was a Tekken character considering Namco worked on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Perducci View Post
    Possible DLC characters?
    We know there is at least one more DLC character (Lucas) coming. We also know that Nintendo opened a poll to see specifically who people wanted to join the fight, which would be indicative of more characters in the future (#IsaacForSmash).

Given the way these file names match the formatting of the files for the first DLC character (Mewtwo), it's a reasonable assumption that these characters will also be DLC.

It's strange, because it'd make way more sense if it was a Tekken character considering Namco worked on the game.
    True. But, again, despite both Namco and Capcom having close ties with Nintendo (especially recently), neither Tekken nor Street Fighter has been releasing on Nintendo consoles recently. Which makes me wonder what Nintendo is getting out of this deal.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 04-21-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If Ryu is indeed coming for SSB4, I'm willing to bet Sakurai will stick to his moves from the Street Fighter II series than his current moves from Street Fighter IV, and will probably have a Ken (light skin, blonde hair, red uniform) and Akuma (dark tan skin, red hair, purple uniform) color scheme as alts. There's a lot of variations to his moves that can be used for customization as well. Ryu can work on Smash as a fighter. Also, Street Fighter IV 3D Edition is on the 3DS.

Well, the new wave of DLC is out, and Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are indeed playable fighters.

Ryu is very interesting, and very heavily based around his Street Fighter play style. He is powerful, versatile, and combos well. But he isn't the fastest character, he's vulnerable off platforms, and he has no reliable way to hit behind him (the closest he gets is his reversible focus attack). So he's especially vulnerable in free-for-all fights. Which makes sense, because in Street Fighter, he always faced his foe, and never needed to strike behind him.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm actually surprised that all three characters became available immediately after the announcement. I was expecting at Lucas and a couple of the Mii Fighter costumes and the Miiverse Stage to be available, but to see all this content available is really amazing. I haven't got to play as any of the three new DLC characters, but I did end up playing against Ryu and Lucas online. Got my butt handed down to me. I did get the Splatoon Gunner costumes on the Wii U for free though since I pre-ordered the game from GameStop.