Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default I've never read/watched this

I have an aversion to watching really popular stuff, not because I'm too good for it, but because I always worry I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I don't want to be like "that person" who doesn't like it or doesn't get it.

So tell me about it a little bit. What's it about? Who are the characters? Any characters you think I'd like? Anything to grab me?

Sharky has the first book so I've been debating reading it later this year

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

It's about everyone you care about dying in a grisly fashion and people you hate getting what they want sometimes. And sometimes (RE: once or twice) people getting what they deserve.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's hard to explain. Does Sharky watch it? If I were you--if you're interested or just curious--I'd give the show two or three episodes and see what you think. After that, I think you'd know what the show was "about".

If I was really pressed, I'd say the show is about political intrigue, magic, the choices we make and how they define us, and how no one is wholly good or wholly evil.

If you like fantasy stuff, I think it's a must. I understand why you'd be hesitant to watch it in case you don't like it, but I think you're really missing out if you don't give it a chance for that very reason. I mean, if you have no interest whatsoever I wouldn't blame you, but if you're interested, you should definitely give it a go.

JOIN US
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

sharky doesn't watch it, but he's read most of the books I think. We only have Netflix and it's not on there

Articles
    Blog Entries

Medieval soap opera.

Not being funny, that's how I'd legitimately define this show if I had to. The pacing, man.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Medieval soap opera.

Not being funny, that's how I'd legitimately define this show if I had to. The pacing, man.
    This is actually the most legit description I've ever read.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

There is lots of gore, lots of nudity, lots of sex scenes, lots of background raping, lots of swearing and cursing, lots of incest, lots of wifebeating, lots of betrayal, lots of creepy scary things, lots of talk of winter.

bout it

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Ignore it, lady!!! No show, no game, no tea cozies, no clothing line, no whatever other bulltrout he's cashing in on.

No acknowledgement of GoT in this house until the bastard Martin finishes his books!!!!!!!!!!

(the first four books are pretty good though.)

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

One of us one of us one of us, sharky.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Ignore it, lady!!! No show, no game, no tea cozies, no clothing line, no whatever other bulltrout he's cashing in on.

No acknowledgement of GoT in this house until the bastard Martin finishes his books!!!!!!!!!!

(the first four books are pretty good though.)
    Well now you have to watch it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I have an aversion to watching really popular stuff, not because I'm too good for it, but because I always worry I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I don't want to be like "that person" who doesn't like it or doesn't get it.
    Also, I wanted to say that I wouldn't consider this to really be a legitimate reason for avoiding watching/reading something. If you don't like it or don't get it, so what? If you don't watch it, you're "that person" who doesn't watch it, anyway.

Engage in stuff that seems interesting to you instead of worrying about how other people will perceive your interest in that thing. Game of Thrones is popular and a lot of people like it; it might be a reason to look into reading or watching it because there is a possibility you will find commonality with the series to like it as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Also, I wanted to say that I wouldn't consider this to really be a legitimate reason for avoiding watching/reading something. If you don't like it or don't get it, so what? If you don't watch it, you're "that person" who doesn't watch it, anyway.

Engage in stuff that seems interesting to you instead of worrying about how other people will perceive your interest in that thing. Game of Thrones is popular and a lot of people like it; it might be a reason to look into reading or watching it because there is a possibility you will find commonality with the series to like it as well.
    I feel like I said this, but I want to reiterate it in case it wasn't obvious. If you aren't interested in something or don't like it, that is perfectly okay. But if you don't watch/read/listen/etc to something just because it's "popular" you probably will be selling yourself short. If you give it a real chance and don't like it, that's okay. But you SHOULD give it a chance (if it sounds like something you'd like if it wasn't popular).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I did not watch the show because it was popular. I put off reading the books because people watched the show. I read the books and I have no ragrets. Not a single letter. Not one.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I started watching this series for the first time a week ago, and so far it just makes me really want to take a shower (everyone is so filthy), but also it makes me really wish I had a dog. There is a lot of scenes of nudity and gore and women being abused, but there are a couple of underdogs you can root for. If you like fantasy stuff you'll probably like this. I can't say that I find this gripping - but it is something I can watch when I'm putting off work or struggling to sleep. And if you don't like it, then don't watch it anymore!

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

This is the only thread I'm going to post in, because I don't want any spoilers, yeah, even though the episodes I am watching are years old.

"The day she was born, they rang the bells from sunrise to sunset"

smurf me, that would have been annoying to sit through