Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Battlefront

Blog Entries

I have a bad feeling about this.

there was a picture here

EA better not screw this up.

Or they could launch it on steam instead of Origin. It sucks really bad.
    I'm avid fan of Final Fantasy Tactics and a chess player.

I hope this one isn't disappointing, being a fan of the SW Franchise, I have high expectations for this game. The trailer is pretty amazing though.
    "Hope is comforting. It allows us to accept fate, no matter how tragic it might be."
    FF Player, Proud student of Eckbacke IT School

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Aren't most AAA games these days shipped broken because they're in such a rush to finish them on time and know they can just patch it later and people will buy their trout anyway? Isn't that one of the big problems the industry is facing today or is that just EA/Ubisoft exclusive?

And since I said the name, smurf Ubisoft! Seriously.
    The great majority of AAA games ship fine. The few that don't are over-sensationalized by the media to generate clicks, or by forum posters so as to fit their agenda.

Smurf Ubisoft though!

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

There will definitely be DLC, but hopefully it's just in the form of different pawn skins or something.

Oh gosh. I didn't even think of the DLC potential. There's going to be plenty of Day One DLC. Stormtroopers will be in game. But you'll have to purchase DLC to get Snowtroopers, Scouttroopers, etcetera.

But all the DLC developed post-game will be put on hold in order to fix the bugs.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I guess i'm the only one who doesn't care about DLC. Like I don't HAVE to buy it and if I want to, so what? Just extra stuff.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I don't usually buy DLC, but there are those here and there that I want just because. I think in all the years that I've been playing PS3/XBOX360/+ I've spent maybe 20 bucks? For Battlefield I wait until the Premium comes out as a one disc set for 40 or 50 buckaroos.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    The great majority of AAA games ship fine. The few that don't are over-sensationalized by the media to generate clicks, or by forum posters so as to fit their agenda.
    The launch of Sim City was most definitely not over a sensationalized. And I'm sure the people who bought BF4 and couldn't even play it didn't feel like they were exaggerating to fit some fictional personal agenda.

The reality is games do get released in a poor state to meet deadlines far too often, and just because they worked well enough for some does not mean that is the experience of the majority, or at least a sizeable minority. And I don't blame anyone not willing to tolerate paying money for a game that doesn't work until days or even weeks later (such as with BF4 where they eventually pulled everyone who was working on DLC so they could try and fix the main game weeks after release). It'd be like buying a computer, getting it home, and finding out the monitor doesn't work. It's a situation that may be fixed in relatively short order, but you still paid money and have to wait or go through even more effort to get to even use it. Except it's worse in the case of games to some extent because their QA frequently find most of the issues and the game is still released anyway instead of being pushed back another week or two.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I also bought SimCity Day one, and the expansion, and didn't have any issue with it either. I mean sometimes login times to the server was slow but I had patience, I guess.

Maybe that's the issue, people expect instant gratification but sometimes things just don't go as planned. Like they didn't anticipate it to sell as well so they didn't realize their servers were too small. Servers cost a lot so paying for extra servers you may not even need isn't viable. So they plan on what they project as popularity and have servers based on that. Or maybe in their testing they never encountered a glitch but then when it's published, some people are getting it and throwing huge fits. Everyone knows how people like to blow things out of proportion on the internet. When you're making games today, there's a lot more coding and what not then ever before. I understand that. I understand things can mess up. If I can't play a game right at the moment due to issues I go do something else.

If the game is broke for an extended period of time, that's when I get grumpy. But Launch week? That happens. It happens with computers, it happens with practically anything code based. Why do you think your apps get updated all the time? Feeling as if things can't be normal and things have to be absolutely perfect is silly to me and also a bit elitist. (sorry anyone who is offended by that but it's just how I personally feel)

Watch a couple of Angry Joe reviews and/or rants and you get an idea that it happens more frequently. But it's mostly on games and/or features I am not even interested in. PC Diablo 3 got boned by that with server load and the requirement to even be online to play so when the servers can't accept you, then you can't play the game you bought. Sim City, Assassin's Creed Unity, Watch Dogs, Battlefield, the last couple Total War games, and wasn't Evolve pretty broken as well, despite all the hype?

It is mostly Triple-A titles though. And at that, its mostly online/multiplayer features. I'm not very interested in these games, and especially not interested in those features. Pretty sure Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was broken the first week as well. And didn't bother me in the slightest as I only wanted to play the main game

But Wasteland 2 was pretty broken upon release as well, especially for AMD users. But it was still playable, it would just likely roast your graphics card for no reason. And at least inXile cared. They pushed it back once or twice, and then warned people it was a thing when it was released, and that they were working frantically to fix it as their top priority. You'd never see EA or Ubisoft say to their fans "Sorry, but we have to get this out the door. Expect this problem and this problem if you use this type of computer". For some reason they'd MUCH rather the backlash and fan hate. Any publicity I guess

That being said, the last few launch games we've bought have been fine. Bloodborne has a couple hiccups, but nothing extremely game-breaking in my experience. My girlfriend got Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors on launch for the PS4 and no problems with those. I haven't experienced any problems with Final Fantasy Type-0, Resident Evil: Revelations 2, or REmakeHD and I got all those on launch. But they're not Triple-A titles. They're not using over-inflated budgets, or ridiculously high fidelity graphics engines. And they are fantastic games. I there's more than just online features I don't support. I think the one and only super high fidelity game I've gotten and enjoyed was The Last of Us. So for some reason, my personal preference in video games keeps me pretty safe from these fiascos most of the time. I'm never going to buy Call of Duty or Battlefield, so I'm never going to be disappointed by them

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    The launch of Sim City was most definitely not over a sensationalized. And I'm sure the people who bought BF4 and couldn't even play it didn't feel like they were exaggerating to fit some fictional personal agenda.

The reality is games do get released in a poor state to meet deadlines far too often, and just because they worked well enough for some does not mean that is the experience of the majority, or at least a sizeable minority. And I don't blame anyone not willing to tolerate paying money for a game that doesn't work until days or even weeks later (such as with BF4 where they eventually pulled everyone who was working on DLC so they could try and fix the main game weeks after release). It'd be like buying a computer, getting it home, and finding out the monitor doesn't work. It's a situation that may be fixed in relatively short order, but you still paid money and have to wait or go through even more effort to get to even use it. Except it's worse in the case of games to some extent because their QA frequently find most of the issues and the game is still released anyway instead of being pushed back another week or two.
    If someone points out that a game is broken or is upset it's not working, that's just calling a spade a spade.

The sensationalism and agenda come in where people pretend this is somehow endemic of AAA game development or happens "far too often" as you say in your post. We are well into Q2 2015 and there have not been any high profile broken launches this year. I bought four AAA games and a slew of downloadable titles last holiday and only 1, Drive Club, had issues. And in that case, it wasn't because a greedy publisher rushed it out the door, they just under projected sales and the servers were not ready for the day 1 load - even then, the single player ran beautifully. Conversely, Destiny and Advanced Warfare were the biggest multiplayer launches of the year and both went off without a hitch.

Maybe if you actually played these kinds of games I would give your argument more credit but right now it reads like under-informed paranoia.

The sensationalism and agenda come in where people pretend this is somehow endemic of AAA game development or happens "far too often" as you say in your post. We are well into Q2 2015 and there have not been any high profile broken launches this year.
    Well, EA haven't launched anything big yet this year

Articles
    Blog Entries

It was also basically an expansion pack for Battlefield 4 that did nothing except reskin existing content.

Also, positive sales are not indicative of a working game. Case in point: Aliens Colonial Marines.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.