Thread: Changes between book and show (unmarked book spoilers!)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Changes between book and show (unmarked book spoilers!)

Which ones do you like? Which ones do you hate?

I really like how the show changed the Roose/Arya thing to Tywin/Arya. I think that made for some good tv.

I hate how they made Shae a more likable character that actually loved Tyrion and white-washed her murder. I mean, tv Tyrion still killed her, but he was immediately regretful and the four leaked episodes of season 5 show he's not having a great go. Whereas I think it really was a turning point for Tyrion's character in the book.

Also, I don't like Talisa. I don't get the point of changing her character. But I did like how she was the first person and stabbed in the uterus (just because that's really smurfing dark).

AND NO LADY STONEHEART ):<
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Lady Stoneheart is kind of ehhh. All she does is kill Freys and hate. I'm glad they took her out. I'll only like the Lady Stoneheart arc if she smurfing apologises to Jon Snow for being a tremendous troutbag to him. The best way would be if she finds out the truth as to who Jon's parents were, is like "Oh trout what have I done", goes up to the wall, stumbles upon the corpse of Jon Snow and uses the R'hlor kiss of life to bring him back from the dead, tells him the truth, says "I'm sorry for being a terrible human being to you, I hope you are happy forevermore" and then dies. That would be the satisfying conclusion to the Catelyn arc, finally able to save one of her children - the innocent son she should've loved. Redemption. Don't think it'll happen in a million years but whatevs.

In not having a bunch of book characters, it kind of spoils that these people aren't going to be important. I don't like that they took out Aegon as it all but confirms he's a fake. I still think he'll be the one to take out Tommen though. On the subject of, don't like older Tommen either. But I do approve that they aged up all the rest of the kids in the show. But yeah, Victarion, Euron and the dragonbinder had the potential to be major players but if they're not in the show then clearly not. I also don't like that they removed Arianne and instead had Oberyn's paramour take on her role? What the hell is the point of that? It's not like she was some deep character we got to know and love last season. Don't really care that they took Quentyn out though.

I'm happy with Sansa x Ramsay, Jaime in Dorne and Brienne's hunt being made interesting instead of "Allo it's me, Nimble Dick Crabb!".

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I find myself liking the changes to the show quite a bit; they make for much more efficient storytelling.

Shae's more involved character was excellent because it made her character climax so much more emotional, Arya/Tywin exchange made it so much more memorable, spoilers if you are not caught up to ep 3really excited to see Jaime and Dorne because I can't stand Dorne and I think he'll make it much more likeable for me. Arys was a horrible bore to read in the books and ended up just being totally worthless because he gets slain anyway. Also very interested to see where the Sansa and Theon plot goes as now she's taken the place of poor Jayne Poole. Should be some good stuff to come. Varys accompanying Tyrion to Dany? Where the hell is that going to lead! I must know!

I am a bit sad that little Aegon isn't in the books because as mentioned above, it probably means that he doesn't make it very far in The Game. (Though I am hellbent on believing he is a real Targaryen!) I'll also agree that I'm not fond of Lady Stoneheart and I don't get what the buzz is about her. She's still Catelyn and Catelyn was a massive and poorly written character. Coldhands would have been a nice and interesting touch, but I don't think it's too important that they cut him out. brienne stuffBrienne meeting both Arya and Sansa and failing at convincing both of them that she can protect them was interesting. I enjoy her and Pod's journey much more than I did in the book. I will say that I never really understood why they cut out Vargo Hoat and replaced him with Locke. I really wanted to hate an actual personification of Vargo because in my mind I formed him as this terrible, nasty, physically disgusting psychopath with no regard for human life whatsoever and paired with little to no intelligence and a horrible lisp. Yeah, really would have liked to see someone characterize that monster.

Overall, pretty pleased with the show changes. Can't think of any I dislike! It gives the story a better flow.

edit: I lied, I did think of one more spoilers through ep 3It's pointless to give Bronn any more screentime. What is the goal of writing more for him? I don't understand. His character plot ended when he chose to passively betray Tyrion for a lordship.
    Last edited by Shorty; 04-20-2015 at 12:10 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Lady Stoneheart is kind of ehhh. All she does is kill Freys and hate. I'm glad they took her out. I'll only like the Lady Stoneheart arc if she smurfing apologises to Jon Snow for being a tremendous troutbag to him. The best way would be if she finds out the truth as to who Jon's parents were, is like "Oh trout what have I done", goes up to the wall, stumbles upon the corpse of Jon Snow and uses the R'hlor kiss of life to bring him back from the dead, tells him the truth, says "I'm sorry for being a terrible human being to you, I hope you are happy forevermore" and then dies. That would be the satisfying conclusion to the Catelyn arc, finally able to save one of her children - the innocent son she should've loved. Redemption. Don't think it'll happen in a million years but whatevs.
    I would actually really love this. Between this and the Tyrion betray Dany for love, I think you should be writing this series.

Also, I've got to agree. Probably the worst thing about the show is that they leave out people and it's obvious they won't be important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Not the show's fault they're starting to get ahead of GRRM.

I watched the show first and don't care to read anymore of the books, so most changes either go over my head or I don't care. I kind of like that everyone had the Tully look in the Stark family sans Arya and Jon but I can live without that in the show.