Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 marks the return of console JRPGs

Articles
    Blog Entries

Relm 2015 marks the return of console JRPGs

Last generation, many of us lamented how the quality titles in our beloved JRPG genre had mostly migrated onto handhelds. There have even been some early signs recently that these games would further retreat onto mobile. I can think of at least a few members here on EoFF who might insist the genre never went anywhere, that there were plenty of quality JRPGs last generation. However, 2015 marks the first time in years where so many iconic franchises will all release a new entry or spinoff on current generation home consoles.

Here are the 2015 titles bringing the JRPG genre back to the forefront of gaming:

Bloodborne
    From Software
    PlayStation 4
    Released: March 24

The Miyazaki-directed spiritual successor to the Souls franchise has already led the charge, to resounding success. It is the highest rated PS4 game and sold a million units within just 10 days, outpacing the previous, multiplatform entries in the Dark Souls series. Although some of the mechanics push it more towards the action genre, it also incorporated new RPG elements, such as the procedurally-generated Chalice Dungeons.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
    Square Enix
    PlayStation 4, Xbox One
    Released: March 17

After years of begging, Square finally released this game for the West, remastered for the current generation hardware. Many have hailed it as the most significant Final Fantasy project in years and it even included the demo for Final Fantasy XV. Many expect Type-0 to kick off a new sub-series within Final Fantasy.

Disgaea 5
    Nippon Ichi Software
    PlayStation 4
    Released: March 26 (JP), Q3 (NA & PAL)

While not as high profile as some of these other series, Disgaea has nonetheless earned its place in the pantheon of SRPGs. Originally, the game was intended for release on PlayStation 3 as well but NIS opted for current-gen exclusivity, as its 100-character battles required more robust hardware. It earned a 33/40 from Famitsu and is scheduled to hit Western shores in the coming months.

Xenoblade Chronicles X
    Monolith Soft
    Wii U
    Release Date: April 29 (JP), later 2015 (NA & PAL)

As the sequel to the most revered game from 2011's Operation Rainfall campaign, Xenoblade Chronicles X is easily one of the most anticipated games on this list. Monolith's acclaimed cabal of Square alumni seek to create an even more ambitious open world for players to explore. Given the cult classic status of the first game and the pedigree of its developers, this game has a serious chance to make critical waves when it releases later this year in the West.

YsPS4_Sep012014_01.jpg
    Ys 8
    Nihon Falcom
    PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita
    Release Date: TBA 2015 (JP)

Very little has been revealed about this title since its announcement at TGS 2014. It will be a cross-platform game, spanning both PlayStation 4 and Vita, where it follows up on Ys: Memories of Celceta. The announcement trailer showcases some of the visuals and suggests that this will be Ys 8 and not a spinoff or remake. Scheduled for 2015, it is unknown whether a western localization will make it before the year's out.

Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem
    Atlus, Intelligent Systems
    Wii U
    Release Date: Q3/Q4 2015 (JP, possibly NA), 2016 (PAL)

This dream crossover is a joint effort between both series' development teams within Atlus and Nintendo. Fears of a possible cancellation were put to rest when the game was confirmed for a 2015 release at a Nintendo Direct earlier this month. Atlus has confirmed that the game will indeed be an RPG.

Dragon Quest Heroes
    Omega Force
    PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4
    Released: February 26 (JP), Q4 (NA & PAL)

Heroes heralds the return of Dragon Quest to the West after many years of missed opportunities. Developed by Dynasty Warriors' Omega Force, it falls more along the lines of an action RPG, with the goal of staying true to the feel of Dragon Quest. The game is already a commercial and critical success, catalyzing interest for the PS4 after a year of relative apathy in Japan. Square confirmed a sequel earlier this month, for PS3, Vita, and PS4.

Persona 5
    Atlus
    PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4
    Release Date: TBA 2015

Persona 5, perhaps more than any other game on this last, has a real opportunity to reestablish the JRPG genre outside of Japan. The last two entries were both highly acclaimed in the West but could never catch on due to their release on the PlayStation 2, long after the platform had lost relevance in the gaming media. The series makes it PlayStation 4 debut while the platform currently tracks as one of the fastest-selling consoles of all time, having already proved with Bloodborne that it can turn niche Japanese games into blockbusters. Persona's turn-based mechanics and anime sensibilities may prove a hindrance its mainstream potential but it nevertheless stands as one of the most important releases for the genre in years.

What do you think about the latest batch of JRPGs making their way to the big screen? Does this signal a return to prominence for the genre, or was it just as good as ever on handhelds? Share which you are looking forward to and any you might be picking up.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Wooo Disgaea 5. Based on character designs I'm more excited for this release than I have the last two.

I definitely only really play most rpg games on portable, especially Disgaea. They're great games for short bursts.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Ys 8!? I want Ys 8! Also Persona 5 looks awesome. And I can't wait to punch some giant monsters in Xenoblade X. Also Hyperdimension Neptunia VII looks awesome. Which you forgot, same on you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Bloodborne is a JRPG purely in the sense that it's Japanese rather than in aesthetic, design, or mechanics so I'm a little "ehhh" about that being a JRPG but hell yeah I want some Persona and Xenoblade and Ys please.
    Last edited by Laddy; 04-20-2015 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Bloodborne is a JRPG purely in the sense that it's Japanese rather than in aesthetic, design, or mechanics so I'm a little "ehhh" about that being a JRPG but hell yeah I want some Persona and Xenoblade and Ys please.
    Yeah, I have to agree. Bloodborne is not a JRPG.

But we're getting so many other awesome titles, that I'm ok with that.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

While I'm at it, let me say that Dragon Quest Heroes is also not a JRPG. It's an action game. It's based on a JRPG franchise, yes. But it isn't a JRPG.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've always been on the mindset that a JRPG could be made in the West and a WRPG could be Japanese, as the J and W refers to the style rather than the country of origin.

Bloodborne was awesome btw.

Articles
    Blog Entries

When a game has loot, dungeons, quests, character creation, level progression, and is touted by its creators as an action RPG (expressly or implicitly), I usually give them the benefit of the doubt and categorize it as such. I'm not going to scrutinize whether such factors are exclusive to RPGs or if there's other defining elements missing. The genre and its permutations are way too diverse to have any satisfying and consistent bright line rules. And, personally, it's just not a conversation I find very interesting.

It's cool if you guys do, though. Glad people are reacting to the thread.

Cosmic Star Heroine also.

I love "console RPGs" but I love it even more when console-style RPGs come to the PC. I heard another Ys game is coming on Steam and I'm delighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Cosmic Star Heroine also.

I love "console RPGs" but I love it even more when console-style RPGs come to the PC. I heard another Ys game is coming on Steam and I'm delighted.
    That was coming this year? I hadnt kept up on it, but I love those guys. I was anticipating this one.

This year also had Awakened Fate Ultimatum, which will likely never be considered a classic (And for good reason) is rather fun and a good upgrade from Guided Fate Paradox, so chalk that on the pile of good JRPG releases this year.

Also Citizens of Earth, Atelier Shallie, and Alphadia Genesis.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Yea, Ark of Napishtim is coming to Steam the 28th of April. I can't wait, since it's the only one I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    Yea, Ark of Napishtim is coming to Steam the 28th of April. I can't wait, since it's the only one I'm missing.
    Ys on Steam!!

Irmagird!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm the only one going to be excited about this but

http://ideafintl.com/omega-quintet/
    Omega-Quintet_05-08_Amiami_001.jpg

It's like some absurdly girly j-pop sailor moon junk going on there and I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED AND IT'S COMING OUT THIS MONTH AND NOW I'M SAD I HAVE NO PS4

AND STAR OCEAN SOON

AND NEW TALES GAME

AND NEW XENOBLADE

AND NEW FINAL FANTASY

AND NEW YS

THIS IS A GOOD TIME IN MY LIFE

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm sure Dat_Matt's also excited for that game, too, Pumpkin.